Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question to the older Redskins Fans: What's it like to be a Champion?

Chase M

I can't get this thought out of my head. I was driving home from work this afternoon and the whole way home I was just thinking how this year feels different. It feels their's this certain energy this year that's very contagious that's affecting not only players but all of Redskin Nation as well.

I'm only 20 years old born in 1991. I consider myself blessed to be born on the year the Redskins won their latest Superbowl. I've grown up watching my Skins ever since I knew how to hold a football. My favorite memories of the Redskins so far has to be Sean Taylor (RIP), the 2005 Season when we won our final 5 games of the Season to clinch the Wild Card and the MNF Miracle when Burnell threw 2 touchdowns to Moss in the final mins of the game to beat the Cowboys/Pukes. To me those are all wonderful memories that I'll cheerish for the rest of my life.

My problem is (as mentioned eariler) I'm only 20, turning 21 in February. I havn't been alive for a Redskins Championship. I can only dream of what that feeling must be like. I feel fans of teams such as NE, PIT, BAL etc. they all take for granted going to the playoffs or just winning in general.

So my question goes to the Fans that have been around for awhile and have lived in the Skins "Glory Days" How was it to be a Champion/see the skins win the Superbowl? What went through your head? What did you do? I can only begin to guess what I would do if we where champs. Honestly probably end up arrested for public indecency for I'd run down the streets singing HTTR nude. Hopefully very soon, I'll know what it will feel like to be a Champion!

HTTR!

I am lucky enough to have seen and lived through the glory years. Other teams hating to play in our house, confidence every Sunday, no team drama, talking smack with your friends..great stuff. The last super bowl, had a party at my house, tapped the keg at noon, celebrated and my wife found me naked on the bathroom floor....fun stuff!

I have made the pledge to repeat the performance if we get there again.

I lived through some great years and really took them for granted. I just ho e my daughter can see them good again as they have been bad all of her 11 years...yet she wears the jersey with dad every Sunday.

Hail

I tried to google this thread because this feels like deja vu. I know I have seen a thread like this before. Anyway, it was great but not like alot of fans I didn't like pump up my chest for a whole off-season and tell all my buddys how their team sucked and "We are the Champions", well that would be lying, so yeah, it was great.

---------- Post added August-18th-2011 at 09:18 PM ----------

Just had the wording wrong, Thanks Capt.

I was an infant. None of my teams have ever won a championship as long as I've been a fan of them... I wonder what thats like.

I'm proud of you for sticking around even though lots of other teams have won multiple championships. Lots of douchey people your age bail on their "teams" for winners. You have integrity.

Let's see I was 12 for Super Bowl 17, 17 for Super Bowl 22 and 21 for Super Bowl 26. You have to remember what Joe Gibbs and Bobby Beathard did was mainly without free agency. You could watch your team build and root for certain players with such a vested interest because you knew it wasn't an entirely new roster the following season.

I started rooting for them in 1976 but did not truly understand the game well enough to get it until 1978 so some lean years early on but how special those years were. 1982 season because of the drama of close games and then the domination in the playoffs. 1987 is probably the weakest season memory for me but that Super Bowl was magical. Now 1991 is the one most here can relate to. When they opened up the season whipping up on the Lions 45-0, I knew then, when Brian Mitchell vaulted into the endzone and a streamer of toilet paper flew in behind him from the stands, I looked at everybody in the room and said this team is going to the Super Bowl.

Some of us are very lucky to have seen some of the glory years of a historic and proud franchise. Can you imagine being a Lions fan? How about the Browns or Bengals? Hell, Eagles fan has to harp about 1960! So, yes, I consider myself very lucky to have seen the team I root for win 3 Super Bowls.

I think this franchise is headed in the right direction, and while it seems like the odds are stacked against you right now, I think you will get to enjoy a Super Bowl run type of season some season in the near future. I only hope you get the feeling I had in 1991, the knowing, that feeling that this team is so loaded and firing on all cylinders, you are confident before a game not putting together all the if this happens, then we have a shot type scenarios.

I feel sorry for you my friend. The last 20 years of the Redskins has been a black hole. That stretch under Gibbs in the 80s you felt like the team had a legitimate chance to win it all every year. We had team full good guys and the best coach in football. It was amazing.

I was 7 when the Redskins won their last one, so I barely remember. I just remember it being all on the local news afterwards, and my entire family just going nuts as we trounced the Bills. I don't remember much of the game to be honest but I definitely remember the aftermath, how happy my friends and family were, and how the Skins were all over the TV for weeks. I also distinctly remember my Dad getting angry about Madden saying Jim Kelly had great protection as our defensive line was dominating them...whatever :-)

At that age, I thought the Redskins would always be good, and it wasn't just a sad joke when the news asked people before the season what they thought would happen and they would answer "Super Bowl".

I was a kid, but my greatest childhood memories are the SB's. 1991 was amazing. Honestly, my life has been one downward spiral since....not really. But from a football standpoint most definitely. If the redskins were a rockstar we've been in the fat Elvis period since 1992. We go through the motions. The fans are as rabid as they have ever been. But we're just a fat, drugged out shadow of our former selves...

But I have faith that it is changing. My apologies to Elvis fans for the comparison.

1991 : After the team beat the Giants in the Meadow Lands on Oct 27, 1991. I became a 100% believer in the Bandwagon. It was a sweet ride.

In the regular season they beat the Lions 45-0 and the Falcolns 56-17. Both teams did a little better in the playoffs, losing 41-10 and 24-7.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/history/timeline/wagon/wagnfrnt.htm << Bandwagon columns

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/kornybandwagon.jpg << Pic of the Bandwagon RV they drove from DC to the SuperBowl. Has a drawing of the bandwagon on the side of the RV. The bandwagon drawing appeared every week alongside the column. Too bad they don't have those drawings on line. The Post actually sold hard copies of the bandwagon columns after the season ended (this was before Al Gore invented the internet).

Every week was an expected win. I remember watching the games with my Dad, and we would get anxious if we weren't up by 10 at half-time. Whenever we lost, it seemed to be due to playing "flat" versus being out manned. No one could stop my 'skins when they played with emotion.

Do you remember the 2 TD passes from Brunell to Moss in the Monday night game a few years back? Take that fealing and times it by 100 and you still can't know what the second quarter of the Denver Super bowl felt like.Me and two of my buddies gave so many high fives I remember my hands hurting. I can see my wife's (then girlfried's) face laughing at the three of us as we stood in front of the tv singing Hail to the Redskins Five times. Damn! I get goose bumps just thinking about it

One thing I always wish I could have been around for was to be in RFK when it was rocking. I can only imagine the experience it would be. I vaguely remember my dad taking me to a Skins Giants game at RFK but I was too young to remember much.

Although it would never happen I've secretly wished that we would play a preseason game at RFK just once.

You can't imagine how good it felt. You felt that they could win every game. They had players that stayed here for years and years and were team players. A great deal of loyalty on both the team and organization. Free agency has taken a lot of this away. Seeing the stands shake and the seat cushions fly were memories I'll never forget. A great feeling.

It feels damn good, Chase! I became a 'Skins fan in 1979 at the age of 6. I was just following up my oldest brother (he's 6 years older than myself) who had became a 'Skins fan in '76. He and I had a ball throughout most of the 80's. LOL

I'll say, it felt very good to go to school with your chest puffed out. Most of the people who went to school with me were fans of the Cowdungs and Stillers, with a sprinkle of fans who rooted for the Dolphins, 'Niners and Raiders. Do not get it twisted, as there were fair share of 'Skins fans who attended school with me, as well.

It seemed throughout most of school years the 'Skins and 'Niners were the only teams, in that bunch, who were vying for championships. Trust me, I would let it be known. Many of my friends or associates who weren't 'Skins fans started, if they hadn't already, hating the 'Skins.... And, I loved it! LOL People usually dislike you when you're winning. Those were the days, Case!

Hopefully, we'll get back to those days very soon, Chase.

Well. I was born in 1990. Burned in my memory of that fuzzy time are a lot of screams from my dad and older brother and a lot of pride that has since dissipated. Also, all my baby videos are of a camera on a tripod looking at me, also aimed at a "coincidental angle" at the TV...which was always on a Redskins game. Im basically in the same boat as you bro. I feel for you.

I remember being at the suite owners meeting last year at Fedex, talking with some of the other guests. I was the youngest at the table, surrounded by 40+ year olds basking in the glory of some wonderful franchise i have never witnessed. And i had to ask "So, what's it like to see the Skins when they are good? I wouldn't know." At first i got some strange looks, then a couple laughs, and a few people added the years and said "Damn, you really haven't seen them be worth a damn have you?". Bruce Allen later came out to do his speech and a fellow at my table confessed that he was here with his sister and he's really a raiders fan.

Bruce proceeded to add "Oh, well you've had it a lot worse than us. I'm sorry." HAHAH.

I attended Leonardtown Middle School in '87 ( St Marys County, MD ). I wasn't really into football at the time because none of my family was. But I remember when my principal would get on the stage during lunch ( our lunchroom was also our auditorium ) and would hold mini pep rallies for the Redskins before each postseason game. He got all the students worked up ( not that he had to try hard ) and I have to admit, it was an infectious feeling. In fact, I must say that those pep rallies were what pulled me into being a Redskins fan. I learned about football because of it, and later joined high school football because of how much everyone loved the Redskins that year.

I started watching the team in 1972, so I had 20 good years of Superbowls and playoffs just about every year. Imagine what it's been like to be a Patriots fan for the past 15 years. 5 Superbowls, won 3, lost 2. That's exactly what we did, although over a 20 year span. The Washington Post actually wrote positive stories about the team back then. Kornheiser and Wilbon built their careers reporting on the Redskins during the Gibbs years.

It was a great time to be a Redskins fan. I look forward to the great times again!!

Archived