Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question to the older Redskins Fans: What's it like to be a Champion?

Chase M

I was debating post this but decided to in the end. I was much younger and dumber back then. I did a lot of drugs in my youth. My friends and I would do a bong hit everytime the Skins scored. We started that at the beginning of the same season that the Skins led the league in scoring. Needless to say, it's pretty much one big haze. Lot's of fun at the time though.

All that being said, if I had a do over, I wouldn't have done all the things I did in my youth.

Im pretty sure a thread like this comes up every year. maybe you should search for it and read it instead of creating a redundant thread.

Geez really?

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 12:43 PM ----------

Oh yea, I want to echo some of what others have said. For 20-somethings you don't know what its like to have real confidence that you root for the best team in the world. I go into every game now HOPING we can steal a win but EXPECTING a dissappointing loss. This year when we play filthy, I will actually be afraid of a humiliating blow-out again.

In the 80's and early 90's (especially 91), it wasn't IF we could or would win, it was just HOW we were going to do it? Would Manley get 3 sacks, Would Charles Mann Dominate? How many times would the fun bunch do their patented celebration? Would the smurfs be wide open all day? Would we see another dominant hogs performance? Would the "Capital Defense" be completely vicious this week?

Sporting a skins jersey, cap or jacket just screamed "winner". Especially, since I was born in NY. I would get beat up by giants fans as a kid. It wasn't until I moved to Virginia around age 11 that I was "home". But even in NY, getting on the bus after we smacked the Gmen was so great. (Getting on the bus the day after Taylor broke Theismann's leg? not so much).

But it was just so different to anticipate the games each and every week. The Championships were incredible obviously, but it was bigger than that. It was the week in, week out, being the best team in football that was really awesome. I remember watching Inside the NFL with Dawson and Bonaconti (oh God you probably don't even know who they are) when they FINALLY came to DC to ask "will the Skins go undefeated?" and it was just so great!!

We were the lead story every week. It was us and everyone else trying to be us. Now, we are the punchline of jokes. Our own local media outlets rag the team and rip em to shreds from owner to towel boy every day. Its just a completely different thing now.

One thing I will add to my previous post in this thread, they all had distinct feelings but the "tide turning" of late 1981 through 1982 and then sustained excellence for such a period of time, an unbelievable feeling. As a kid, it was always those Cowboy fans strutting around like they owned the place, just because their mom bought them the Dallas football coat from Sear's. Dallas is a winner, we are America's team, man I hated those little punks.

So, when the tide started to turn and then culminated with the "Wham, Bam, It's the Redskins!" NFC Championship Game, you could rub their snotty little noses in it until they bled. Such a great feeling to be the NFL elite, those brats had to shut their mouth for pretty much the decade of the 1980's, man I miss it.

Being 19, not only have I never seen a Redskins championship, but I have never seen a Washington sports team make it past the god damn conference championship. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to grow up in Boston or Philly where there teams actually win. Instead the highlight of my childhood, sports wise, was seeing Juan Dixon lead UMD to a National Championship back in what 2002? It has been a sad last 20 years for sports in Washington D.C.

When we won our SBs, I was just a FAN. Since age 21 I have been diehard (being honest). We were respected. That's what I remember. A lot of honor and pride. Fans weren't so fareweather like they are now. Actually, that trend started in the early 90's. After Rypien won the SB, people started being nasty. Just disrespectful. Now that I'm a diehard fan, I wish I loved them they way I do now when I was a kid/teenage during our glory days.

^My perspective

I have seen them all; they are worth wating for!! The first Super Bowl loss, we were actually favored over the undefeated Dolphins. It was disappointing but no where as disappointing as the worst loss in our history--to the Raiders. And we almost were undefeated that year, two 1 point losses to Dallas and Green Bay as I recall. Riggins, 4th and 1, was the greatest single play for our franchise (with Darrell Green's punt return with injured ribs against the Bears and Ken Houston's 4th down tackle at the goal line against the Cowboys). The Denver win was magical; we could not be stopped period. The Bill win was statistically our best team ever.

I was 7 when they won XXII and 11 when they won XXVI. I basically thought we were going to win a championship every five years. Dear lord how times have changed :(

Yea Im in the same boat....the first 10 years of my life The Skins won Three superbowls....it was glorious....I had championship shirts, etc. even in 96 when I was in high school It wasnt that far removed so there was still hope, sadly it got alot worse, we had Spurrier, and Zorn....the only upspot in the last 10 years was Gibbs 2.0 taking us to the playoffs twice....other than that has not been much to cheer for.

I just hope they win another one in my life time, hopefully before I am to old to go to the Superbowl they are in.

I remember the lean years BEFORE George Allen and Joe Gibbs so winning was extra sweet. I just always expected it to continue. The ONLY problem I had with winning a Super Bowl was that it seemed like the next season started too soon and I really didn't have enough time to enjoy being World Champions.

I remember the lean years BEFORE George Allen and Joe Gibbs so winning was extra sweet. I just always expected it to continue. The ONLY problem I had with winning a Super Bowl was that it seemed like the next season started too soon and I really didn't have enough time to enjoy being World Champions.

I was 9 years old when I went to my first game. It was 1969 against the St. Louis Cardinals at RFK. Sonny was the QB, and I remember Larry Wilson played safety for the Cards. My dad took me and it is still one of my greatest things I remember as a kid.

The ONLY problem I had with winning a Super Bowl was that it seemed like the next season started too soon and I really didn't have enough time to enjoy being World Champions.

I remember that feeling too. Though I'd always love when Madden or someone would mention during our games that we were the world champions until we were eliminated from contention. I remember re-watching a playoff game from the 1992 season and really enjoying that comment of his. We went on to lose the game, but it kind of rang true...until someone could put us down, we were the best in the league for most of that next year.

It feels good to know that you don't have to hear from the Cowgirl fans and all the rest of the teams can't say anything. If this team wins the Super Bowl this year they will call it a fluke because the experts in the media can't be wrong. Or could they? The culture surrounding the Redskins is different because all the haedaches and distractions are gone. No more McNabb, Portis, Haynesworth or Raubach to point the finger at when things have gone bad. This team is more focused and won't be an easy out as in past years. Everyone is worried about the QB position but maybe, just maybe Shanahan has something that we don't know about. Maybe Beck is the real deal. Who ever thought that Tom Brady would turn out as good as he has. If they all saw it then they are lying. Brady wasn't even considered to be a top 20 QB coming out of college. Mel Kiper wasn't high on him and no one at ESPN was either. But now he is considered an elite QB in the same class as Peyton Manning. So it will feel good when they win a Super Bowl and you can silence the critics because they will start jumping on the bandwagon when they reach the Super Bowl.

Uh, Tom Brady is a top 5 QB ever not just elite in the same class as Peyton Manning.

As a news reporter said on channel 9 back after the last SuperBowl victory..."It's like Christmas,New Years and your birthday rolled up all into one".

I videotaped local news coverage of the Redskins fans celebrating a SuperBowl victory after the Redskins beating the Bills in Georgetown.News crews where everywhere around "M" Street filming people celebrating and dancing in the streets!

Unlike other cities,Redskins fans don't trash their city when their team wins the SuperBowl.

I still get goosebumps when I remember how I felt after the Skins got a SB victory!

Each one a different story.

I wonder if the Redskins are the only franchise to have won two Super Bowls where they were underdogs going into the game? ('82, '87)
Just off the top of my head but I will have to check, we were favored over the Raiders and the Eagles might have been favored over the Raiders in 1980. So, the Raider might have done it as well.

Archived