Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I dont get all the hype?

bigdoublebass

I actually didnt start this thread and I'm not enraged. Someone just made a comment about not seeing any playoff predictions and it took me all of about 30 seconds to find this one because it was just posted.

But that's just it...the overwhelming majority of ES members are NOT talking playoffs, division titles...hell, even winning records lol...If I were to guess a ratio, I would say it's probably something like 100-1 in favor of the "Saw some surprising positives, but it's just one preseason game" point of view. There have been so few posters predicting winning seasons from this that I am baffled how anyone here could feel that an intervention thread is needed :ols:...

I actually didnt start this thread and I'm not enraged. Someone just made a comment about not seeing any playoff predictions and it took me all of about 30 seconds to find this one because it was just posted.

I dare you to find another. :ols:

In what way are people gettng carried away?

That's what I was thinking, I don't see guys going around claiming the Skins are heading to the SuperBowl and Grossman for league MVP. It was better than most of us expected but not good enough to get carried away.

I am not trying to be negative so maybe I feel this way because off all the disappointments over the last 11 years of religiously being a skins fan. I watched the replay of the game last night and I just don't see whats so great other than 1.improvement on both lines. I do not understand all of the Grossman love right now, he had 26 passing attempts and big Ben had 3, do you think the score at the half would have been the same if the roles were reversed and the steelers kept there starters out the whole half and we brought out the second team? I am very happy with 2.the direction we are going and I do like the improvements I saw, but I guess I kind of just expected those with this being the second year of the new system. I remember Zorn took us to 6-2 , I remember following up a great playoff win against the bucs with our usually sucking and I even "remember Osaka". Nothing would make me happier than for this to be a good team and have a shot at 8-8 or a wild card but I just do not see all off the hype justified. However I am glad for the improvements that I saw, its very nice to get rabach out of there.

You named 2 reasons which I labeled & highlighted for you that you yourself mentioned. No one, that I've seen, cares 1 iota what the score was. I think all the "hype" is from seeing a Redskins team that, for the first time in years, didn't look lost. They looked disciplined, they looked energized, young, enthusiastic, prepared. There weren't a lot of stupid penalties, there weren't any major injuries.

Grossman looked comfortable & he said the right things about the system. "It's starting to slow down" for him, which means he can make his reads faster & get rid of the ball concisely, precisely, decisively. They are buying into Shanny's playbook & no one is laying down & unhappy. there is NO drama.

That's what all the "hype" is about. I don't think there is a Redskins fan with 1/2 a brain that cares whether we won or lost, other than we get to see confidence being raised in these young guys. They need the confidence, to know they CAN win, albeit in pre-season, but that's about it. We all know that this win is not important in the grand scheme of things. And they know it too.

I had to go back and see what I had posted in that ASF thread.....

(This was quoting ASF from the OP) This is the best looking Redskins team I've seen in about two decades, at this point in the preseason. My compliments to Mike Shanahan, Bruce Allen, and all of the players. It's a great start. And it's a long journey ahead. Keep it up, and stay focused.

Good work ASF. I would agree that the road to recovery has been breached. The team played with fire. There were numerous players playing above what I expected to see at this time and played together, which is more a statement about coaching then the quality of players at this point.

---------- Post added August-13th-2011 at 02:18 PM ----------

And that should be good enough for now.

I think most of the "hype" is over the fact that we arent going 2-14 and getting Andrew Luck this year. I think almost any fan can agree that the team we put out there appeared to be at least as good as our team last year, which places us at around 10th-20th in the league. The only reason there is so much "Hype" on here about that game is that we all heard all offseason how bad we were gonna be, so being at least competent is noteworthy.

Seriously reading some of the predictions for this season you would think we had a whole team of Ethan Albright Madden 07's on our team

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/anything-goes/48529-letter-john-madden-ethan.html

I am not trying to be negative so maybe I feel this way because off all the disappointments over the last 11 years of religiously being a skins fan. I watched the replay of the game last night and........I do not understand all of the Grossman love right now, he had 26 passing attempts and big Ben had 3......... I remember Zorn took us to 6-2 , I remember following up a great playoff win against the bucs with our usually sucking and I even "remember Osaka".

First of all yes you are negative but most important.....you make no sense. You just said you don't understand the love for Grossman, because he had 26 passing attempts and Big Ben had 3. What does Big Ben's passing attempts have to do with anything regarding Rex Grossman? Also, how does Jim Zorn's rediculous offensive system and horrible efforts play into this? Also, how does Osaka Japan play into any of this? Did we play the 49ers of 10 years ago this Friday night? You seem to want to discredit a marvelous and incredible surgeon like offensive display by the first team Redskins against the First team Superbowl Pittsburgh Steelers. Thats what I see. Do you think because its a preseason game, that somehow the Pittsburgh Steelers did not try to stop the Skins? Do you think Mike Tomlin did not have his team prepared or in shape? Do you think that those Pittsburgh blitzers Friday night were told not to tackle Rex Grossman because its preseason? In fact...what were you thinking?

there were some good signs friday night...that is about all you can say and that is about all you could have expected. It also gets me that some of you lump season to season together, the roster of this team is so much different than last years...Will we win more games, we will see but i wouldnt count us out until the games are played. As was stated by Adam S (espn) there are 3 to 4 teams who do surprisingly well each year.

I have to agree. I made a thread a long time ago (which was nnt'd) about how I would come on here and prescribe prozac all day long if I were a doc. I think we have a lot of bi-polar fans on here. Just wait until we have a bad game, this board will be night and day.

I am just as excited as anyone else about last fridays performance. BUT, it was preseason game 1. Show me consistency and I will start acting a fool like most everyone else!

If the Skins still had Heyer at right tackle and Rabach at center, I think I'd start 549 threads about why the OLine was the problem. They aren't and I won't.

When you've been in darkness a long, long time, any bright spot is thought of as the dawn. Yes, it's pre-season. But it was a better football team and a better effort than we've seen in a long, long time. 90 yards after starting at the one? That's not even the Skins of last year. Throwing a pass on first down out of the endzone for a first down? Not the expected call, not the expected results. Unexpected is good. A drive taking over 7 minutes on your first possession is good. Scoring points would have been better. But going from awful to good is still better than staying awful. I'll take the improvement.

"Nothing would make me happier than for this to be a good team and have a shot at 8-8 or a wild card but I just do not see all off the hype justified. However I am glad for the improvements that I saw, its very nice to get rabach out of there."

There are lots of reasons for CAUTIOUS optimism. The team is a better team than last year, and the team last year was only a kicker away from 10 wins. That's right, with a reliable kicker rather than the worst in the NFL, the Skins would have won 10. We still have the same kicker, but let's hope he grows into the job, or they find another one, or that the other improvements put us in a position where we can win by more than a field goal.

My take is this: the dirty little secret in the NFL is that if a team WANTS to win a pre-season game to drum up support from its fans and build a little pre-season hype, it's there for the taking. Most teams view preseason games as tune-up practices and little else. But if you're a team that is trying to sell tickets (ahem) and wants to keep a disgruntled fan base happy, then it makes sense to really gun for the win. Is that what happened Friday? Maybe, maybe not. But we did keep our starters in a lot longer than the Steelers did.

Having said that, I still liked what I saw. I could care less about the win, but we avoided injuries (most important) and our line play looked better. And thank god for that.

What surprised me was the play on both lines offensive and defensive. Also I saw a bunch of young hungry players out there flying around making plays. Considering the shortened off-season and lack of practice I would say they looked pretty Damn good. I never have gotten all the Grossman hate. With a improved oline and the weapons he now has, I think he is gonna surprise a lot of folks this season. I am still thinking 8-8 would be a miracle but this team is FINALLY headed in the right direction.

Archived