Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I dont get all the hype?

bigdoublebass

I think it's great to just simply see improvement. :logo:

It's also great to feel just a bit more positive attitude too. :logo:

It's great for once in the last 10-15 years....... just to say boy the Skins are lookin better. :logo:

It's also great to feel for the first time in a LONG TIME the players respect the coach. :logo:

All positives to me. :logo:

Are we a contenda probably not Bbuuuuuut we're headed the right way. :logo:

Dan :helmet:

How many times were our QBs sacked? Or hit? How many runs got stuffed for a loss of yards or no gain?

Who cares how many passing attempts Roethlisberger had? He doesn't play on the defense that Grossman had 26 attempts against.

The Redskins went 90 yards against the Steelers first team D, and if it wasn't for a shank, the Redskins would've had points.

And there's a difference between Zorn and Shanahan. Shanahan can actually coach.

Exactly. It's the little things that cost them games in the past. Those improvements are what can make a 6-10 team 13-3 team. The Redskins have lost games by 7-points or less for years because of these things.

HTTR

I am just as excited as anyone else about last fridays performance. BUT, it was preseason game 1. Show me consistency and I will start acting a fool like most everyone else!

This is what I don't get. Who is "acting a fool"? Optimism isn't "acting a fool" as long as it's realistic, & I have seen no evidence of it not being realistic.

Hell yeah I'm encouraged my team looked focused and poised pretty much start to finish. So what? I am a REDSKINS fan I'm supposed to believe and expect better each year. I swear some of you can suck the joy out of anything remotely postive.

Yeah, really!

This is what I don't get. Who is "acting a fool"? Optimism isn't "acting a fool" as long as it's realistic, & I have seen no evidence of it not being realistic.

Ok. Maybe "acting a fool" was a bad choice of words. I am referring to all the posts that state something along the lines of....."Qb competition is over", "Our OL is so much improved", "The D is night and day from last year" ect ect ect....There is a lot of this on here right now. Have these thoughts crossed my mine...absolutely. However, I want to see consistency before I voice this out loud.

"It aint no feat, unless you repeat"

"Once is an occurance, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend".... I want a gosh dang trend

I am not trying to be negative so maybe I feel this way because off all the disappointments over the last 11 years of religiously being a skins fan. I watched the replay of the game last night and I just don't see whats so great other than improvement on both lines. I do not understand all of the Grossman love right now, he had 26 passing attempts and big Ben had 3, do you think the score at the half would have been the same if the roles were reversed and the steelers kept there starters out the whole half and we brought out the second team? I am very happy with the direction we are going and I do like the improvements I saw, but I guess I kind of just expected those with this being the second year of the new system. I remember Zorn took us to 6-2 , I remember following up a great playoff win against the bucs with our usually sucking and I even "remember Osaka". Nothing would make me happier than for this to be a good team and have a shot at 8-8 or a wild card but I just do not see all off the hype justified. However I am glad for the improvements that I saw, its very nice to get rabach out of there.

I'm in complete disagreement here. I'm not exactly sure why you're suggesting the 'skins are 'hyped.' I mean I don't see anyone in the media doing it, and I have a hard time believing any on here are doing it, because I would hope that most people realize that this is the preseason after all.

Why does it matter that Grossman threw more passes than Roethlisberger? I mean obviously the Shanahan's wanted to see more film with Grossman....in fact I wouldn't be surprised if John Beck played an entire half next week regardless what the other team does or against which defense. There is a quarterback competition after all. Secondly, quoting stats in preseason is kind of meaningless, considering the 'skins ran the same 2 bootleg plays a hand full of the times, and the steelers' obviously didn't game plan in the way they would for a typical Sunday during the regular season. There were no elaborate blitzes that I saw. What was impressive is not the numbers, but the fact that Grossman and Hightower and the o-line were able to start a drive on their own 1 and effectively and efficiently down to the steelers' 11. Still that needs to be interpreted as part of only the preseason. If a Homer like Joe Theisman can point out that it's only preseason, I'm confused as to why you think this team has hype around it. Records don't matter, this game or any preseason games for that matter are going to predict the Redskins' record for the upcoming season. They will however reflect quality of play, and if you watched the game we all should be impressed.

I'm totally clueless as to why you're comparing Mike Shanahan to Jim Zorn and Steve Spurrier of all people. Neither one of them knew what they were doing as a head coach, and neither of them had control of the team, nor got the players to buy-in. None of that applies to Shanahan. Then there's the Osaka, Japan thing.....ummmm are you really comparing Mike Shanahan's management of this preseason game to Steve Spurrier's attempt to run up the score on the 49ers in by lining up at the end of the 3rd quarter with 4 wide outs and throwing fly/go routes? If so, I think it might be a good idea to watch the game again.

What everyone should take away from this game is that after no offseason this team looked comfortable, excited, played well and didn't commit stupid penalties. For the first time in Daniel Snyder's tenure as owner there is a team in Washington with players who are a decent fit in the system who happen to be either young, hitting their primes, or still-contributing veterans. We have a better team to cheer for this year. That doesn't mean we're going to win 12, 8, or even 6 games......but what it does mean is that we're on the right track as you suggested. Personally, if you've watched the team for the past 11 years....how could you NOT be happy or excited about the direction of the team? I really don't think anyone his hyping this team up....

Ok. Maybe "acting a fool" was a bad choice of words. I am referring to all the posts that state something along the lines of.....

"Qb competition is over"

Well...isn't it?

"Our OL is so much improved"

Well...isn't it?

"The D is night and day from last year"

Well...isn't it?

"It aint no feat, unless you repeat"

"Once is an occurance, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend".... I want a gosh dang trend

I hear ya, but it's ok to be optimistic about how we looked in that first game too. I've seen alot of realistic optimism in here for the first time...ever since joining this site. But, we'll see where we are next week.

The hype is simple.

Everyone thinks we are the worst team in the NFL. Play Friday night indicated otherwise.

The team was well coached and executed against the Steelers. I believe some felt the team was going to be hurt in the game, like what happened a few years ago in the regular season. Instead, the Skins were the ones hurting the Steelers.

The game was far from perfect and sloppy play by the Steelers helped conceal some lingering questions.

I'm not putting much stock in this game other than the coach had his team ready to play. That's all any of us should take out of the game.

It wasn't just sloppy play by the Steelers, they played straight-up, no frills defense. No scheming, no blitzing, no game planning, etc. That has to be factored in with the end result.

That said I thought the team looked a lot more prepared than I thought they would be. The O-line looked sharp, Grossman didn't make any mistakes, Hightower looked great and the defense overall looked solid. The secondary was shaky but hopefully having Landry and Atogwe eventually will solidify things more.

It wasn't just sloppy play by the Steelers, they played straight-up, no frills defense. No scheming, no blitzing, no game planning, etc. That has to be factored in with the end result.

Not singling you out, but why is it that everyone brings up the fact that the Steelers werent scheming, game planning, etc and that it should be taken into account? We werent scheming or game planning either.

And if you go back and watch the game, they were definitely blitzing.

Well this one isn't much of a surprise. One of these always springs up a few days after a good preseason game,(and even regular season games). Member sees a few posts then overreacts to the "overreactions" by starting a thread telling folks about it. Nothing wrong with looking at things with a bit of a critical eye,(such as they are),any more than looking at things optimistically,(such as it is sometimes). Actually,one can do both. Though I will say the Redskins could win the Superbowl and there would still be a few that would say "Yeah,but......." ;)

I'm seeing a lot of measured optimism, not hype. We FINALLY have a decent group of WRs to choose from. Two really good TEs. A serviceable QB in Grossman, and maybe Beck. Our OL play was sharp the other night. The defense didn't give up 5 huge plays.

It was a good to very good display in a preseason game.

If they'd have played horribly, we'd say so. Why not recognize the solid effort? They played how we'd all love them to play on a consistent basis.

I'm actually looking forward to the season to see how some of the young guys develop. Hightower looks like he could be a BEAST in our system.

Edited: My season prediction is 7-9 to 9-7. If we squeak into the playoffs...I'd be surprised. But you never know!

Archived