Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins training camp power rankings: Week 2

themurf

fletcher121609.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Tonight marks the preseason debut of the 2011 Washington Redskins, as the burgundy and gold host the Pittsburgh Steelers. And while most teams are content to limit the starters to 10 plays or so, this is the perfect chance for fans to see Washington’s rookie and free agents in a Redskins jersey for the first time.

With that in mind, I humbly present to you my take at the top 10 Redskins players over the last seven days. For those who aren’t familiar, these are the players who have risen to the challenge and made a strong impression during the second week of training camp.

And, as always, these rankings are completely subjective, biased and, ultimately, meaningless. They simply represent one person’s take during training camp. If you see things differently and/or feel like I’m forgetting someone, that’s okay. Feel free to leave a comment and share your thoughts on the subject.

1. Barry Cofield, defensive tackle – Clearly, we’re in the honeymoon stage with Cofield, but it’s impossible not to be excited about his arrival. I mean, the guy flat out said he’d be devastated if the coaching staff didn’t let him play a ton in the preseason opener. Considering the drama that followed the nameless defensive lineman Cofield is replacing, that’s more than enough reason to rank him in the top spot.

2. Fred Davis, tight end – While Pro Bowler Chris Cooley has been sidelined with a knee injury, Davis has quietly stepped in and carried the load. Davis is noticeably slimmer this year – having dropped 15 lbs. since last season – and seems dead set on proving that at least one high draft pick from 2008 wasn’t a bust.

3. Jarvis Jenkins, defensive end – The only reason Jenkins drops from the top spot this week is because I’m trying to temper expectations for the rookie. He still continues to stand out for all the right reasons and is the player I’m most excited to see play during the preseason.*

*Even if he’s a Clemson player.

4. Trent Williams, left tackle – The Redskins quarterback situation is far from settled, but at least the left tackle spot is locked down. Williams, who will anchor the Redskins work-in-progress offensive line, remains highly motivated to build off of his up-and-down rookie campaign.

5. Tim Hightower, running back – I’m still terrified of how often he fumbles, but when Hightower is able to maintain possession of the football he’s looked good. With Ryan Torain injured and Roy Helu still learning the offense, the running back position is definitely there for the taking.

6. London Fletcher, linebacker – London Fletcher is good at football.

7. Anthony Armstrong, receiver – Since last season ended, the Redskins have selected three receivers in the NFL Draft, traded for Jabar Gaffney and signed Donte Stallworth. And yet, Armstrong continues to find a way to stand out and make plays on a consistent basis. He also remains the biggest deep threat in the wide out rotation.

Click here for the full article.

Another good write up Murph. Nice list, I would have to add Bowen considering his exorist from the Cowboys tweet.

For me this was a good read in particular, still a fan and hope the guy regains his name....

10. Chris Horton, safety – The artist formerly known as The Predator needs to have a strong camp if he’s going to survive roster cuts, and he seems to be doing just that. Not a bad week for a guy clearly on the bubble. Unfortunately for Horton though, with the return of Reed Doughty, his roster spot would likely come at the expense of his closest friend on the team, Kareem Moore.

May the best man win.

I'm still holding out some hope that Tatupu will sign. Alexander is the starting ILB aside from Fletch I assume?

I've liked Rob Jackson from day one and am glad he's looking good. I think he's going to make the most of his time this season especially with this much improved upon DL

I'm still holding out some hope that Tatupu will sign. Alexander is the starting ILB aside from Fletch I assume?

I've liked Rob Jackson from day one and am glad he's looking good. I think he's going to make the most of his time this season especially with this much improved upon DL

I actually wrote about Lorenzo Alexander yesterday. With the return of Rocky McIntosh, Alexander has basically been moved back to outside linebacker and will likely compete with Kerrigan. Either way, he's going to see plenty of playing time.

Murf, no mention of Bowen? I know the loss of his child definitely affects him, but I have a hard time not lumping the whole D-Line into one position on your top 10. Thoughts? Oh, and as always I like your write-up!

Maybe it's because my wife and I just became first-time parents six weeks ago, but the Bowen story really tugs at my heart strings. I definitely want him to succeed here and am excited to see what he can do on the team's new-look defensive line. But I haven't seen enough of him to feel comfortable throwing him above the guys I listed this week. Fear not though, he's definitely one of the players I'm paying attention to most.

Nice write-up! Thanks!

And that avatar is so cute! Is that your kid?

Not that I know of ... although there were a few years in Panama during my Army days when I had a little too much fun, so you never know ...

6. London Fletcher, linebacker – London Fletcher is good at football.

Made me laugh. God I wish we we could say that about most of our players. Being able to describe a player so simply, yet so effectively, is a rare thing for this team/fan base. I wish we had 53 london fletchers ;(

now, if the scientists would stop sitting on their ass, we could start cloning him so we can win some super bowls...

I was really hoping Selvish Capers would start coming along. I remember when some draft boards thought he was worth a third or fourth rounder. But I keep hearing that he hasnt been doing well.

I remember quite a few posters as recently as this spring expecting Capers to compete and ultimately win a starting job this season. I disagreed with that but I at least expected him to make the 53. It sounds like he has regressed even from last season.

Archived