Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacher Report: Whay has Clinton Portis Been Forgotten?

Chachie

how funny would it be if portis went to the saints and supplanted betts? mcd5's head would explode.

The Saints have Mark Ingram, Darren Sproles, Pierre Thomas and Chris Ivory. I doubt they'd even bring in Portis for practice bodies since they're so loaded at RB right now.

but if you were an NFL general manager looking for a veteran to at least compete for a spot, wouldn't you rather bring in Portis than Tiki Barber?

Yes. CP could still be valuable to somebody as depth, competition in camp, or a third down back. If he could manage to stay healthy, he could still be a productive starting back for a 5 or 6 games. The tank is getting low for CP, but it is not empty. I think he is better than some of the FAs who have been signed already.

Something else to think about: Clinton Portis needs only 76 yards to eclipse the 10,000 yard mark for his career. It would be nice for his sake if he could catch on somewhere. I will be rooting for him; I just cannot help it, my fondness for Portis was forged during Gibbs II's tenure, and it is not going away.

Because RBs are a dime a dozen right now.

Veteran RBs have no value whatsoever.

Sometimes I wonder if some of our fans even follow the rest of the league.

You could devote five minutes a week to fantasy football and know that Portis has little to no value.

He'll get a 2008 Shaun Alexander role when someone's injured, then disappear from the league for good in a year or so.

man that sucks, still one of my favorite players for the skins

same here. Was my fave player for the skins every year he was here. Still will never get rid of his jersey. I hope he lands somewhere, or retires as a Skin. One of the best backs, we've ever had.

Sometimes I wonder if some of our fans even follow the rest of the league.

You could devote five minutes a week to fantasy football and know that Portis has little to no value.

He'll get a 2008 Shaun Alexander role when someone's injured, then disappear from the league for good in a year or so.

I agree with you on the homerism. But in the end, I think you still over valued Portis. Sean Alexander didn't have the truckload of baggage that Portis carries.

Portis has a reputation as a "me" first player who cares more about "being himself" than football. He's a distraction waiting to happen. Not a good thing for a running back who's most memorable play from the year before was an untouched slide.

Stick a fork in him. He's done in the NFL.

Archived