Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Chris Russell tweet, Rocky McIntosh re-signs

Skadden

WOW...Ok. Lets just forget about the Fletcher thing then...

So you are saying that some players can make adjustments and play other schemes and some cant. Then are you also saying that 1 year under a new coach and a new scheme is plenty of time for a typical 4-3 LB to make adjustments and transition to the 3-4 and Rocky couldnt do that?

It doesn't take a year in a different scheme to tell the Rocky is pretty stiff and unathletic compared to most 3-4 LBs.

So you are saying that some players can make adjustments and play other schemes and some cant. Then are you also saying that 1 year under a new coach and a new scheme is plenty of time for a typical 4-3 LB to make adjustments and transition to the 3-4 and Rocky couldnt do that?

Yes, if he's expecting a multi-year commitment in FA from that 3-4 team. But now that he's crawled back for a 1-year deal after garnering little to no interest on the market...then yes, I suppose he has earned the right to another year of attempting the transition. As depth, hopefully.

Inside backer is a different position regardless of 4-3 or 3-4. There's more congestion and you have multiple coverage gaps against large bodies. On the outside you protect outside, forcing things in. You're in space. You can see plays develop and attack upfield and usually you're against smaller players. In the 3-4, on the outside, you have pass rush responsibilities you do not typically have as a 4-3 outside backer.

not buying it in the least. It's still football from an upright position. you still have to read the run and pass. you still have responsibility for the TE, the RB, and the QB. You still usually have one extra Olineman to account for on running plays and a FB or TE.

(Also, not sure why you're telling me the difference between OLB in the 4-3 and OLB in the 3-4. I'm comparing strongside in the 4-3 to ILB in the 3-4. )

Now, in the 4-3 I really like him as a weakside backer. He's got a nice skillset for that spot.

I'm fairly certain Rocky played the strong side for us (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Seems like Orakpo played the week side 2 years ago and before that I can't remember, lol

He had responsibility mostly for playing in space and assigned to the TE. In the 3-4, with Orakpo and/or Kerrigan rushing, explain to me how it is different?

It's not.

We just drafted 2 DE's over the past 3 years to make OLB's for chrissakes. Bottom line, if a guy has skills to play strongside 4-3, he certainly has skills to play inside 3-4. anyone who says otherwise is rationalizing the fact that the player in question is in fact a turd.

Is there a new playbook? Of course. Are there new plays? Of course. Is there new terminology? Of course. This is the NFL though, shouldn't matter

Wow? Why wow? All I said was Fletcher making the switch is irrelevant to McIntosh. Fletcher making the switch with barely any signs of any issues, doesn't mean that McIntosh is also capable of it. Is that really a surprising or off the wall statement? I don't think so.

I like Rocky but he looked super stiff and unaware in the 3-4. Hopefully, he is just there as a back-up and teams player.

HTTR

Stiff is the right word. He had major issues in space this past season. I don't see how he's going to be better in that area just because he'll have another year in the system. Those are physical limitations.

@john_keim: Earlier today, haslett talked about perry riley and how much he had to learn. Haz did not sound as if he thought perry was ready

I saw that, and made that comment about it, because it contradicts everything else I've read. Not to mention that the 2nd half is total speculation on Keim's part.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again here...

I think he'll be playing outside.

Can he? I don't think McIntosh has really shown any particular pass rushing ability during his time in the NFL. But I guess he could be a stop-gap.

Zoony,

Not sure what to tell you.

There's a reason players who fit a 3-4 don't fit a 4-3 and vice versa. There are some positions which are system agnostic. There are also ways to minimize the differences in system, but typically, and especially with us, we don't seem to cater our system to our guys much. Playing inside is a world different from playing outside. Rocky has played over the tight end for us and on the weakside for us. His best fit is on the weakside, but, he can also play strongside. Playing on the outside, either way, is incredibly different than playing inside. H.B. Blades, for years of seeing plays develop on the inside and just developing a feel for taking on larger players is better suited as an inside backer than Rocky, but, Rocky is a more talented overall player with more ability utilized well.

Rocky isn't big enough -- from a thickness standpoint -- to take on bigger players on the inside very well. He hasn't played the spot so he's not as instinctual as he is playing where he has. Instinct in football doesn't come at birth. It comes from years of playing in positions and just learning how things look and feel. It's a far bigger transition to move from outside linebacker in a 4-3, where you press down and take on smaller guys and see plays develop than it is to go from defensive end to outside backer in a 3-4. The latter conversion is more of a physical shift for certain. The former conversion is more of a mental one. If you have the skills you can convert to either with enough time.

For that reason if Rocky plays inside he will likely be a little better than he was last year on the inside. But, he still lacks the ability to take on bigger players on the inside and poor reaction time to the traffic on the inside can be exploited against him.

It's not likely Haslett will utilize an outside backer in the 3-4 as a 4-3 outside backer, so Rocky may not be a fit there at all.

In any case, I have explained to you how an inside 3-4 backer differs from an outside 4-3 backer. You may or may not wish to process it. Your call. Ultimately, my guess is you actually know the differences too.

Man...think about it.

McIntosh isn't a fit for the 3-4, and there are seemingly other LBs available that are a better fit for the 3-4 than him, and we bring him back.

Rogers can fit into any system really (because the role of DBs don't really change from 3-4 to 4-3), was arguably the best CB left in free agency, and we don't bring him back. Those fires he burned his bridges with must have been pretty hot...

packers were awful the first year in a 3-4 system... lets see this year folks i bet we improve... without a legit nosetackle last year is halfthe reason we struggled on defense... with bryant and jenkins we might of found a real nosetackle and itll help all out linebackers whomever they are gonna be.

packers were awful the first year in a 3-4 system... lets see this year folks i bet we improve... without a legit nosetackle last year is halfthe reason we struggled on defense... with bryant and jenkins we might of found a real nosetackle and itll help all out linebackers whomever they are gonna be.

Jenkins is not playing NT; he is playing DE. And I don't think Bryant makes the team. Barry Colfield was brought in from the Giants to play NT and I bet Truck Nields makes the team. He is actually the only "real" experienced NT on the team; four years at WVU.

But I agree, I think the defense will be much improved with the additions and experience of being in the system for a year. I think that is also why Rocky was brought back for one year instead of going after another LB like Tatupu. Rocky, even if he is not a natural ILB, knows the system.

Archived