Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Chris Russell tweet, Rocky McIntosh re-signs

Skadden

I see this as a mistake from Rockys POV. I bet by half way through the season he is getting replaced by Henson or Riley.

Or it could be the other way around... No one said Rocky was coming in to reclaim the starting spot. As far as we know, its Rileys spot to lose

I like the signing.... I know some people are down on him from last yr. saying he's not this and he's not that but Rocky is a flat out baller. Now to me when you can post 110 tackles and still be relevant to the top 25 LB's to the 100+ starting across the league your doing something positive. Rocky can only get better with us getting better at the DL position witch was horrid last yr. With better DL play, Rocky will only improve at his play.

James Farrior, Takeo Spikes, Jonathan Vilma, James Harrison, Keith Brooking, Karlos Dansby, and Lance Briggs were all out played by a tackle stand point spite us having one of the worst defense is not the worst defense in the league last yr..... Just my :2cents:

Is there a huge difference between a ILB in the 3-4, v.s a Strong or Middle LB in the 4-3? I ask because I would think the big difference in LBs come from the OLBs (the 1/2 LB, 1/2 pass rushing DE). Would a ILB in the 3-4 have similar responsibilities as a Middle /Strong LB in the 4-3?

I don't understand this...the man had 110 tackles last year.

That means he had more tackles than James Harrison, James Farrior, Takeo Spikes and Jonathan Vilma

Why in the hell would you expect him to be a back up and play special teams?

Because he's a liability in the 3-4, he's NOT going to start this year after how terrible he looked last year. Stats don't tell everything, but anyone who actually watched the games will tell you how bad he looked in them. Also, ILBs in the 3-4 are more for pass coverage, Rocky struggled in that department. The starting job is not his to have, I still think they give it to Riley and use Rocky as depth and special teams.

I think some people are overreacting to how he played last year. He struggled finding the right gaps last year, but he was adequate and he can offer at least depth on the inside and outside. It's likely a very friendly one year deal.

Riley is already getting a look as a starter, so Rocky wouldn't be getting in the way. As a package/sub LB I'm sure the coaches can figure a way to use Rocky. The signing isn't an accident nor is it a mistake imo.

This is how I look at it. He isn't a prototypical ILB but he isn't as bad as some here would like to pretend. He can be productive as a role player and his contract was most likely cheap.

Where were the tackles? If they were 6 and 7 yards downfield, that's not exactly something to be proud of...

Didn't Trotter lead the team in tackles for 2 years? Tackles are great, but it's not exactly the end all, be all stat.

That said, it is nice to see us keep our own.

if the tackles were 5 yards downfield ever thought it was cause our d line play stunk and maake and whoever else playing nosetackle was getting pushed back 3-4 yards every play... rocky may start or he may not but let the best man win the job... and i wouldnt discount any linebacker from the U they are athletes and it was his first year in a new system... i hope he proves alot of people on here wrong.

I'm not here for arguments... buts depth is always needed. Someone who has been with the team and done a decent job at the position is good depth. We have to ask ourselves, who else is out there at this time who can help improve our team or be considered quality depth which we've been so starved for in recent years? Good re-signing and let them play it out.

People seem to be neglecting the system in which the 3-4 operates. We're a 2-gap 3-4 defense. That means the defensive line is responsible for drawing a double team. By drawing a double team, it frees up the linebackers to make tackles. A decent linebacker will make tackles, it's where those tackles are made that matters. Rocky is an mediocre 3-4 ILB and a good 4-3 OLB. He had a rough time shedding larger blockers as well.

Tackles don't indicate much of anything.

People seem to be neglecting the system in which the 3-4 operates. We're a 2-gap 3-4 defense. That means the defensive line is responsible for drawing a double team. By drawing a double team, it frees up the linebackers to make tackles. A decent linebacker will make tackles, it's where those tackles are made that matters. Rocky is an mediocre 3-4 ILB and a good 4-3 OLB. He had a rough time shedding larger blockers as well.

Tackles don't indicate much of anything.

Maybe it was cus everytime he and K. Moore went to tackle they usually missed/got bulldozed and had to get the guy the second time around, 10 yards upfield... Thus, counting for 2 tackles on the play ;)

1 year contract?

I don't have a problem with it

If he sucks it up in preseason he won't make the final roster

If he plays better then maybe just maybe he can be productive in this defense

To me, though, resigning Rocky is a win-now move. He'd be taking playing time away from a young guy if he made the team. It's too early to panick about it, for sure. He may not even make the roster. But we have young guys that could get actual in game experience and we resign Rocky. Now, let me add this: It's a win now move in an offseason that was largely all about the rebuild. I can't say I'm angry about it, or think its a sign of a wrong direction. Just an observation. To sum it up, Rocky is a win now move in an offseason with mostly rebuilding moves.

If it's a 1 year contract, I have no problem with the signing. He has a year of familiarity under his belt, he will likely be fighting for the position instead of having it handed to him, and he has a re-vamped DL in front of him to help occupy the guards that were running him over last season. Not a perfect fit, but not bad.

For not being ideal for the 3-4 Rocky still had one of his best years statistically. He was suspect in coverage but that could have more to do with technique and understanding of the system both of which can be overcome. I for one would rather have Rocky than Lofa, atleast Rocky has a year in this system. I also believe our improved DLine will help Rocky alot especially in coverage cause he wont have to lock down his man or area as long with a better pass rush.

I don't understand this...the man had 110 tackles last year.

That means he had more tackles than James Harrison, James Farrior, Takeo Spikes and Jonathan Vilma

Why in the hell would you expect him to be a back up and play special teams?

It's not the number of tackles, it's how he got those tackles. Someone on the defense has to make the tackle, so somebody is going to be getting nice tackle numbers. But it's how they got them? Did he make a stop at the line or did he bring him down after he already got a 1st down?

James Farrior, Takeo Spikes, Jonathan Vilma, James Harrison, Keith Brooking, Karlos Dansby, and Lance Briggs were all out played by a tackle stand point spite us having one of the worst defense is not the worst defense in the league last yr..... Just my :2cents:

That is actually worse. It means Rocky's tackle numbers were inflated. Guys on better defenses will have fewer plays run against them, meaning they'll have fewer chances to be in on a tackle. We were a terrible defense last season, it stands to reason we'd have guys with higher tackle numbers.

It's not the quantity of tackles, it's the quality of them.

Archived