Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Chris Russell tweet, Rocky McIntosh re-signs

Skadden

I think the whole "he's not a 3-4 LB" argument is BS. I understand that some players will fit better in certian schemes while others will not. However, to insinuate that "he's not a 3-4 LB" or that he cannot play in the 3-4 is a crock of $#!#. He is a PRO ATHLETE and he can make adjustments.

Someone tell London Fletcher he cannot breakup passes to WR's 40 yards down field.

Rocky isn't Fletch.

You're looking at it very simplistically. Rocky didn't fit. Not all "pro athletes" can play in all schemes.

---------- Post added August-3rd-2011 at 11:06 PM ----------

Rocky might've been re-signed at this time because Haslett may not be too pleased with Riley's progress. The latter point was expressed by John Keim.

john_keim John Keim

Earlier today, haslett talked about perry riley and how much he had to learn. Haz did not sound as if he thought perry was ready

All I've read about is praise for Riley so far.

Rocky isn't Fletch.

You're looking at it very simplistically. Rocky didn't fit. Not all "pro athletes" can play in all schemes.

Yes, I've heard that the organization was so high on him that it made Rocky expendable. But who knows?

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again here...

I think he'll be playing outside.

You may be right, when we run 4-3 looks. Otherwise I don't think he has the pass-rush ability to see many productive snaps at OLB in the 3-4.

As another ESer pointed out in the Tatupu thread. A tweet from Rick Maese and hour ago.

RickMaese Rick Maese

Sounds like LB Lofa Tatupu is in DC area this evening. We'll see if Redskins can hammer out a deal tomorrow...

YES!!!

Very happy by this move. I was really disappointing when everything pointed to us not bringing him back. I don't think he necessarily played bad last season but I agree he didn't seem to fit the "mold". I'm sure Rocky is gonna be a beast this year if he gets a chance. Underrated and good character guy.

I cannot understand why anybody would consider this a surprise. Given the 90 man roster, we would almost certainly start with 6-8, we have 6 but one is on the PUP. With the lockout, one of the best alternatives for filling the bottom part of your roster was going to be youngish guys who played for you last year. The only other ILB we seemed to be interested in was Tatupu.

Rocky might've been re-signed at this time because Haslett may not be too pleased with Riley's progress. The latter point was expressed by John Keim.

john_keim John Keim

Earlier today, haslett talked about perry riley and how much he had to learn. Haz did not sound as if he thought perry was ready

Well there you have it. There's our inside linebacker.

Guess Perry isn't ready. That's fine. Depth is good.

And Rocky can play it. He's versatile. Let's not forget that London got white washed a lot last year as well. The improved line play will lead to improved Backer play. His size made him imperfect for the position, but not his skill set.

Rocky isn't Fletch.

Well I guess thats why Rocky was just re-signed. To play in a scheme that he cant play in. Makes sense to me.

what exactly does that mean at the ILB spot? That he forgets how to run, cover, and tackle when someone is standing to his right?

LBs are asked to do a lot more in the 3-4 than in the 4-3. Remember, for instance, Haslett's look where he lined up six or seven linemen / LBs, almost all of whom were standing up. That might fool the opposing team. But it might also fool your own players too.

Well there you have it. There's our inside linebacker.

Guess Perry isn't ready. That's fine. Depth is good.

And Rocky can play it. He's versatile. Let's not forget that London got white washed a lot last year as well. The improved line play will lead to improved Backer play. His size made him imperfect for the position, but not his skill set.

Like someone else here said, all I've heard up to now was rave reviews about Riley. I was surprised to see that tweet from Keim.

what exactly does that mean at the ILB spot? That he forgets how to run, cover, and tackle when someone is standing to his right?

Inside backer is a different position regardless of 4-3 or 3-4. There's more congestion and you have multiple coverage gaps against large bodies. On the outside you protect outside, forcing things in. You're in space. You can see plays develop and attack upfield and usually you're against smaller players. In the 3-4, on the outside, you have pass rush responsibilities you do not typically have as a 4-3 outside backer.

It has nothing to do about forgetting how to run, cover or tackle. It has everything to do with playing in an entirely different world. Inside is a hard spot to play when you don't play it. Vision alone is hard to adjust to. As I said, Rocky had a good year from a stat standpoint, but he was not a player we recognize as having a good year in actuality. Positioning, shading too far in his gap responsibility, being overpowered in matchups against bigger players and the rest were weak for him. Not to mention he's suddenly covering routes he's not had to cover before. It's all learnable over time, but it's a very hard transition.

Now, in the 4-3 I really like him as a weakside backer. He's got a nice skillset for that spot.

Just another body in camp see what happens? Anyone can win the starting job just have to wait and see right? Oh God what B.S.

How bout these Apples? Package deal; Cooley, McIntosh for a LB? Shucks, why not add London Fletcher in that package as well? Im sure I'll get ripped by the thought of that (who are we going to get, and everyone praising Cooley and Fletcher as leaders etc..). Yes all three!!! What could we get (OL, LB, picks or OL+LB?) Just a thought dont get crazy

I think the whole "he's not a 3-4 LB" argument is BS. I understand that some players will fit better in certian schemes while others will not. However, to insinuate that "he's not a 3-4 LB" or that he cannot play in the 3-4 is a crock of $#!#. He is a PRO ATHLETE and he can make adjustments.

Someone tell London Fletcher he cannot breakup passes to WR's 40 yards down field.

I don't really know what London Fletcher has to do with McIntosh not fitting into the 3-4 defense. Some players can make the adjustment and play in multiple schemes and some can't.

I hope Perry can beat him out for the job.

I must say this kind of confuses me.

I want to see some other guys for sure. Im looking forward to next weeks first pre-season game to get a taste of some of the new faces as well etc...

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again here...

I think he'll be playing outside.

I think that's even more of a pipe dream now than it was when you first proposed the idea last offseason. Nothing about what Haslett has done so far would indicate that he'd have interest in sticking a player like Rocky on the edge.

Training camp with no OTA's has a lot to do with this. If you are a coach, you want guys who can come in and know the playbook. I like the signing; he is a known commodity with the coaching staff. If he beats out the other guys, he deserves to start, plain and simple.

Just another body in camp see what happens? Anyone can win the starting job just have to wait and see right? Oh God what B.S.

How bout these Apples? Package deal; Cooley, McIntosh for a LB? Shucks, why not add London Fletcher in that package as well? Im sure I'll get ripped by the thought of that (who are we going to get, and everyone praising Cooley and Fletcher as leaders etc..). Yes all three!!! What could we get (OL, LB, picks or OL+LB?) Just a thought dont get crazy

Yeahh...you should take your own advice and not get crazy. This isn't Madden.

Today has been a head scratcher. Golston, Doughty, and now Rocky. WOW. I guess we can't convince anyone else to come in on a 1 year deal except for our own guys who couldn't garner any interest elsewhere. I don't hate this move as long as Rocky is strictly a backup and takes on Blades for his position. If Rocky is coming in to compete for the starting job than its just a plain stupid move. He has bad knees, looked lost in the 3-4, and isn't the sideline to sideline type. Where's the upside here?

I don't really know what London Fletcher has to do with McIntosh not fitting into the 3-4 defense. Some players can make the adjustment and play in multiple schemes and some can't.

WOW...Ok. Lets just forget about the Fletcher thing then...

So you are saying that some players can make adjustments and play other schemes and some cant. Then are you also saying that 1 year under a new coach and a new scheme is plenty of time for a typical 4-3 LB to make adjustments and transition to the 3-4 and Rocky couldnt do that?

Archived