Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You say it now, but you're a liar.

Burgold

So, I've read thread after thread during the strike and offseason about how you'll be happy if the Redskins tank or if they win 4 games. You're lying. You say that now, but in the heat of every individual game you'll want to win. You'll be angry and disappointed if we lose. That frustration will grow more profound with each loss and you'll invent new names for Daniel Snyder and roar in hatred of Haslett, Shanny and his son. We're wired to compete... even when we do so by proxy.

So, stop lying to yourself. Losing begets losing. Winning begets winning and a silent stadium versus a loud one does make a difference. Now, I get the weight that 20 years of disappointment can put on you and I understand how some might want to use cynicism as a defense mechanism, but in a few short weeks you won't see this season as an opening gambit sacrifice. You'll see it as football and every drop, missed tackle, blown penalty will matter. You'll see the missed receivers and cry. You'll agonize over dropped coverages.

Maybe at the end of the season, you'll return to this POV and be glad that you're "winning" the draft race if we do really poorly, but honestly, that's not the race you want to start the season competing for.

This has been a public service announcement. Each minute 1,000 Americans are afflicted with self-deceit. It is a crisis that all too often goes unspoken and untreated.

I think people got so used to signing big names in the offseason... they actually miss it now... This team reeks of something the old Joe Gibbs or Marty would have put together... On paper it's not that pretty... but if we have people who listen to the coaches and work hard... it might just pay off in the long run... Win or lose... I'm ready for the games to begin... hopefully it will calm the masses...

Agree 100%, that's one of the things that makes hearing "tank the season" over and over so aggravating. You know that if the season is tanked, the same people saying it will end up ******** and calling for the HC's head and the team to be "blown up" all over again, which would leave us even farther behind.

Agree 100%, that's one of the things that makes hearing "tank the season" over and over so aggravating. You know that if the season is tanked, the same people saying it will end up ******** and calling for the HC's head and the team to be "blown up" all over again, which would leave us even farther behind.

Only the lunatic fringe would be so hypocritical as to do that.

Hail.

Well, two things.

A) I dont think many are calling for the INTENTIONAL tank, they just see a 4-5 game ceiling.

B) have a little mercy on these people, I mean with all the losing with have been doing for a decade it is easy to cling on to "well if we suck one more season, we'll be better in the future". No it doesn't make sense but that is what desperation can breed lol.

You're lying. You say that now, but in the heat of every individual game you'll want to win. You'll be angry and disappointed if we lose. That frustration will grow more profound with each loss and you'll invent new names for Daniel Snyder and roar in hatred of Haslett, Shanny and his son. We're wired to compete... even when we do so by proxy.

Absolutely true. There's no possible way I can passively watch a Redskins game. I think the only difference for me personally this season is that I cannot think of a single reason why we'll win the division... or even finish 3rd.

Last season Donovan McNabb was that single reason. Most years there is at least one. In 2011 however, it's so transparently obvious that we are on a literal rebuild that I can expect to lose without kidding myself and that will most likely temper me throughout even the worst beatings... And we will suffer some drubbings in 2011.

Unless Beck pulls a miracle, we're going to need to draft a QB in April. Of course I will be upset watching the team lose throughout the season, and I don't want us to purposefully tank, but I can handle another losing season if it means we get our franchise QB of the future. And I can handle a mediocre/losing season in 2012 if he is to hold a clip board or gets thrown in and needs time to adapt. As long as we're moving in the right direction and are building a perennial SB contender.

Needing miracles to sneak into the playoffs isn't a team to strive for. I'd gladly take a couple more losing seasons if it means we're building a dominant franchise that's respectable again. And you're a liar if you say you wouldn't sacrifice the short term to achieve that.

heck, some of the jokers already are!

Unless Beck pulls a miracle, we're going to need to draft a QB in April. Of course I will be upset watching the team lose throughout the season, and I don't want us to purposefully tank, but I can handle another losing season if it means we get our franchise QB of the future. And I can handle a mediocre/losing season in 2012 if he is to hold a clip board or gets thrown in and needs time to adapt. As long as we're moving in the right direction and are building a perennial SB contender.

Needing miracles to sneak into the playoffs isn't a team to strive for. I'd gladly take a couple more losing seasons if it means we're building a dominant franchise that's respectable again. And you're a liar if you say you wouldn't sacrifice the short term to achieve that.

Seriously, just how hard is it for people to see this?

Hail.

Seriously, just how hard is it for people to see this?

Hail.

Becasue I want the best team possible on the field. What if your savior, Andrew Luck, gets hurt this year... what then. It's a mixture of rooks and vets. This crap the last few days that anyone over 27 is the wrong direction is rediculous.

Nobody wants to lose all these games. And I agree that if we're actually bad enough to get the first overall pick, then big changes are on the way. A coach going into his third offseason has no business picking first overall without repercussions.

But I for one won't complain if we end up with the first overall pick and Andrew Luck declares for the draft.

Even still, it's not going to happen and I'm not sure why people think it's a realistic option. For one thing, we're a better team than we were last year. In all likelihood, we'll win more games than we did last season. People think John Beck alone will be enough to get us the first overall pick? We were awful at the QB position last year. Beck could easily match the production we got from our QBs last season, even if he is bad.

I've let the Andrew Luck dream die. I think everyone else should do the same as well.

^^^steve - for once, we see absolutely eye to eye, well said, my friend. Completely agreed.

So, stop lying to yourself. Losing begets losing. Winning begets winning

This. More so than anything else said, this. We are building a winning CULTURE, and we WILL win games this year - my prediction is 7-9 of them, and I'm damn happy about that. This core has to LEARN to win. It takes time, and this is a season where the pieces start to come together, not a season to continue to lose to hope for that one special piece.

Becasue I want the best team possible on the field. What if your savior, Andrew Luck, gets hurt this year... what then. It's a mixture of rooks and vets. This crap the last few days that anyone over 27 is the wrong direction is rediculous.

WE ARE REBUILDING! This year we get younger and hungrier, next year we bring in our franchise QB, sign some more young talent. The following year, sign some key vets and make a run for a long time. This process takes time, we are going to have a bad year win/loss wise this year, but we should be competitive.

Amen to all of that, Burgold :applause:...

And to add:

- I wish people would stop saying "The best scenario would be to see improvement and progress while we win 3-4 games"...Um, if we see improvement and progress, we are NOT going to just win 3 or 4 games :ols:...and if we only win 3-4 games, it's 99% guaranteed that we won't be seeing anything close to improvement and progress from the team.

- I wish people would stop saying "I don't want the team to literally try and tank the season, I just don't think this team will win anymore than 4 or 5 games, tops"...um, if that's the case, then you'd have no need whatsoever to even USE the word "tank"...in fact, all you'd have to do is sit back and relax and await next year's draft, secure in the notion that the Skins will be picking in the top 10, making it easier to either trade up to get Luck or to draft one of the other highly-touted QB prospects.

But that's not the case...your comments are not about how bad you expect the team to be, they're about how bad you WANT the team to be. Own up to that, at least.

- I wish people would stop saying "If the Skins go 8-8 that would be a disaster...all it means is that we'll be mired in mediocrity for the foreseeable future". If the Redskins only had one draft pick over the next 3 seasons, then that might make sense lol...but what you are literally saying is that, other than drafting Andrew Luck, there is no way possible Shanahan and Allen could use next year's draft to make the Skins regular playoff contenders. None.

We could draft 4 starter-quality O-Linemen, and it won't push the team past the 8-8 mark and into the playoffs other than once every 4 years--and even then it would probably be by the skin of our teeth. Or we could draft a future HOF nose tackle and ILB, and ultimately the best we would end up with would be closer losses. Or we could find the next Terrell Davis and Marques Colston in the 7th round, and all it would mean is that we might actually have a few Redskins players to add to our fantasy football rosters, but little else.

If the Redskins go 8-8 and it's due to draft picks and FAs panning out, solid play, better cohesion and production from the team overall, fewer mistakes, a better understanding and execution of the offensive and defensive schemes, and a noticeably better team chemistry and attitude, then there is no way anyone could intelligentlly claim that there is nothing positive from that outcome and we're doomed to mediocrity as a result.

I want to see the guys play hard and give their best effort.

I want to see great coaching and game management.

I want to see 100% effort and preparation.

I don't want to be embarrased.

I want team unity, guys playing for each other.

I don't expect to win a Superbowl, because we probably don't have the talent to do it.

No matter what moves we could have made this off-season, I don't think we could be a contender.

And to add:

- I wish people would stop saying "The best scenario would be to see improvement and progress while we win 3-4 games"...Um, if we see improvement and progress, we are NOT going to just win 3 or 4 games :ols:...and if we only win 3-4 games, it's 99% guaranteed that we won't be seeing anything close to improvement and progress from the team.

And I can't, and never will, buy that the only way improvement and progress can be measured, which is what your suggesting, is through results.

Hypothetical: The D really comes together and clicks, and even improves on last years pretty darn good numbers in opposition points and turnovers when it comes to a completely new defense without the right pieces; but down to the fact we have no competent QB play it all ultimately falls down in the win column.

There's one example of progress within a loosing season.

If all the young guys got serious playing time this year, but ultimately came up short in terms of results, there's a good possibility that within that we'd of made great strides going forward. They'd all of had a year/ another year in the pro's, albeit taking their licks in loses, but growing together as a group as they learn their trade. There can be many individual and team positives to take from a negative season results wise during a rebuild.

Hail.

I have prepared myself for a 10+ loss season since the draft in April. Its a strange, yet liberating mindset.

Would I love to be wrong about my assumptions of this team? Of course. But we are talking about the Dan Snyder Washington Redskins. 10+ losses is the rule, not the exception. And with the youth on this roster, I embrace it so long as they play hard and show improvement from September to December (which is what the 1995 Redskins did. The team improved, even with a 10 loss season)

Fans should not be dissapointed with the W/L record this year. 2011 is not about that. Its about the next step in getting this thing right. And I have a feeling that Bruce and Mike have convinced the owner of this. In particular when every other team in town has its shiny number 1 overall pick to build/market around. The owner wants his

Archived