Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just maybe. If only Beck doesn't suck :)

Art

100% agreed.

BECKGRUBER ain't starting unless it's him or the 3rd stringer we picked up from the Jets.

Do y'all really think Parcells would've cut him and then Harbaugh ignored him if he was starting calibre? These types of QBs don't typically fly under the radar in the NFL.

It's gonna be a long year, folks.

We might be in for a long season, but can you imagine the cluster we'd be in for with a rookie, or just signed/traded QB, who has never seen the playbook until just a few months (or even days)ago? Compound that with rookie/traded WR's who also have never seen the playbook until just a few months/days ago, and only have approximately 6 weeks of training camp to learn the system all while trying to create some form of chemistry, while neither party truly knowing what the hell they are doing. It might be a long season, but it could definately be worse.

I think next year is the year when things look up. We draft a QB with our 1st round pick, continue to augment otherwise. I really think we'll be lucky to win more more than 4 this season. Sounding like a broken record, so I'll stop now, y'all know how I feel. It's gonna be long, and bad.

It's been a long 20 years.

Underperforming QB play is nothing new.

For once in as long as I can remember, I actually have hope for this team. Finally not rolling out the same old retreads.

We were 6-10 with McNabb at QB and probably one of the worst seasons I can remember last year. I'll take watching youth battle over watching washed up retreads for yet another season.

Long years are hopefully long gone now that we have full drafts, with additional picks, and having players play for their contracts, not playing because of them.

We've stayed out of the big name free agents. This front office knows that we're not a player or two away, unlike Vinny. They know that we need to establish a core first, then add that big free agent name to help get us over the hump at a key position.

Free agents that have gotten multi-year deals have all been either VERY familiar to the coaching staff (Santana, OJ) or guys on the right side of 30 years old. (Cofield, Bowen). We came into this training camp with 12 draft picks and some very smart free agent signings.

The fact that we didn't chase Nnamdi with the big offer shows that we're doing things right. Nnamdi would not have helped us... because we're not a team yet. And I for one think that we were never close with Cullen Jenkins, nor did we ever really want him. Haslett let it slip in his press conference that we got the two FA guys on the D-line that we wanted all along. And Haslett's track record shows very clearly he is not smart enough to lie. ;)

And for what Vince Young ended up signing for, i don't think there was ever a chance he was going to be signed by us either. Shanny is not into head-cases at this point in his career.

He started Grossman 4 games last year so he would know what it is we needed to do at the QB position coming into this year. McNabb wasn't the answer, unfortunately. Could Grossman do it? I think Shanny has answered that question very clearly by the (lack of) moves we've made at QB, either in FA or the draft.

it ain't Beck.

I think next year is the year when things look up. We draft a QB with our 1st round pick, continue to augment otherwise. I really think we'll be lucky to win more more than 4 this season. Sounding like a broken record, so I'll stop now, y'all know how I feel. It's gonna be long, and bad.

I think that by mid season this team will be turning a lot of heads. This team will be looking really good with a QB that is just good enough to manage the games

it ain't Beck.

And that's fine.

For once in as long as I can remember, this franchise wont have an opportunity to blame our lack of success on a player or free agent. It's a team now.

Lavar, Archuletta, Haynesworth, Lloyd, Deion Sanders, Jeremiah Trotter, Jeff George, McNabb...

It's a team assembled by a coach and GM.

Finally the front office drama is in the past.

Having a no name QB might actually do us good for once.

I feel like I've seen this movie before and know how it ends.

What we are witnessing is Shotty Year One all over again. Except Shanny is doing it in Year Two. It's the same exact script right down to cutting the name QB and rolling with the WTF QB.

My question is this: Is Snyder going to enjoy a 4-12 season with a long, slow rebuild ahead of him and an egomaniac for a coach any more than he enjoyed going 8-8 with a long, slow rebuild ahead of him and an egomaniac for a coach? Particularly when it is obvious that Shanahan ****ed up his first year here as much as a veteran coach could.

(I seriously would look someone to name one positive thing that happened last season).

(I seriously would look someone to name one positive thing that happened last season).

Brandon Banks, Trent Williams. I also think towards the end we saw a lot of young talent start to develop in Riley, Bryant, etc.

Also, i think Rex Grossman proved that he is a viable starter in this offense and can do enough to win games with a defense not ranked dead last.

The BIGGEST positive from last year, however, is that the new FO didn't rush to try to fill a bunch of holes in free agency. Other than the McNabb gaff, the team only signed a few free agents to short term deals with no cap hit. This FO is clearly looking to youth and to the draft. Veterans will always be brought in, but we won't spend each offseason playing whack-a-mole trying to fill a position to get us over the top.

Landry took a major leap forward in his overall safety play.

Hall improved his tackling.

We found a legit returner.

We finally had someone to compliment Moss.

Ryan Torain trucking Quintin Mikell.

I feel like I've seen this movie before and know how it ends.

What we are witnessing is Shotty Year One all over again. Except Shanny is doing it in Year Two. It's the same exact script right down to cutting the name QB and rolling with the WTF QB.

My question is this: Is Snyder going to enjoy a 4-12 season with a long' date=' slow rebuild ahead of him and an egomaniac for a coach any more than he enjoyed going 8-8 with a long, slow rebuild ahead of him and an egomaniac for a coach? Particularly when it is obvious that Shanahan ****ed up his first year here as much as a veteran coach could.

(I seriously would look someone to name one positive thing that happened last season).[/quote']

I don't see this as Shotty year one.

This is a total scrap of the team. Shotty didn't even do that.

I think the biggest reason the smart Redskins fans out there are concerned about how bad we're going to do this year stems from the fear that Dan Snyder will not be patient. Which, in all fairness, is a legitimate concern.

Please, please, PLEASE. Danny boy, if you want a ring, this is how it has to be.

I would be very disappointed if Shanahan is fired after this year. There truly is no hope for this franchise if Snyder dismisses Allen and Shanahan after this year. Unless Shanahan gropes an intern or something, he should be allowed to serve the full term of his contract. The Redskins have nothing to lose.

I can't see it at all, mainly because he has Bruce Allen in the FO, so a control issue like Marty can't really happen.

That being said, if this team is 1st pick of the draft bad, Shanahan is doing something seriously wrong. This team should not be THAT bad.

I pretty much agree with everyone on here that Beck is not / or going to be the answer at QB. One think that I am reminded of and helps me think positive of the situation that we are in is that the "situation" reminds me a lot of Steve Young. I would almost have to say identical to Steve Young. No I am not saying that Beck is anywhere near as good as Young but there are a lot of similarities between the two. They both have a decent arm, good pocket awareness, and mobility. I hope that he proves us all wrong and makes me look like an idiot because if we end up with the next Steve Young, I will be happier than a pig in Tony Romo sits to pee!!!!

Kdawg,

Still, people would be very excited with a bridge and a future.

Right now we have neither a bridge nor a future. Perhaps Beck becomes both.

:)

This is the most accurate phrase I've read to describe our situation. Glad to read your opinions again Art.

I just wished Shanahan knew that he is not the bridge.. Belechick knows that Tom Brady is the bridge, McCarthy knows that Aaron Rogers is the bridge, Reid knows that Mike Vick is the bridge.. They are the bridges that have taken those teams to the future and those coaches revamp their teams every year to reinforce those bridges. Vick is the bridge, trading McNabb for a 2nd and 3rd round pick was the Eagle's future. Tom Brady is the bridge and trading Randy Moss was the Pat's future. Shanny had the perfect opportunity to structure our future but he chose to be the bridge that could get McNabb a Super Bowl ring. After he gave up on that after 8 games he had the perfect opportunity to set up a trade for McNabb for a high draft pick. But then he benches him last season killing his trade value. Shanahan thinks he's the bridge that can get washed up vets, draft busts, and undrafted free agents to the Super Bowl. It just doesn't work that way anymore in the NFL..

And if anyone thinks Shanahan is thinking about Andrew Luck this season, you don't know Shanahan's history.He's focused on winning now with what he has, and that's why he got rid of McNabb. If you don't believe me consider this.. If McNabb was supposed to be a short term answer why did it matter how good or bad he performed? Our future was supposed to be with a young QB anyway.. right?? Well our future is tied to a QB just not the one Redskins fans anticipated.. Not Andrew Luck, but John Beck!

We have no bridge right now, and no future plan.We have a now plan.. Shanahan is trying to win with Beck now, and though I disagree with the direction.. I too hope he doesn't suck!

I honesty don't see Beck starting after the first few weeks. Grossman will probably start most of the games.

Beck is terrible. Did people even watch him in the preseason last year? He has an awkward delivery--there's like a hitch there and sometimes he side arms it--and his accuracy is a joke. I do like his mobility, but we shouldn't even spend this much time worrying about a guy who won't even be the starter for most of the season.

I'll even go so far as to say that Grossman will probably be the starter week 1.

Shanny is blowing smoke up our butts w/ all this Beck love.

For those who are thinking Beck has a weak arm...think again!

Never said he had a weak arm, but I'm not sure what this video proves anyway. He had a lot of time and space to put everything into this throw....not representative of much. And you can still see that awful sidearm delivery of his.

He's also going to get a ton of balls batted down with his throwing motion.

Beck is probably a good guy and all but ..... he instills very little confidence by what can be seen from behind a keyboard and monitor here in West Texas. The name Beck does not invoke the same optimism as names like Jurgensen, Kilmer, Theismann, Williams and Rypien.

The best thing for Beck and the Redskins if for Beck to have a lot of success if he ends up being the starter this year. Figure the odds.

[1]so why didn't shanny give Beck playing time at the end of last year?

I've been saying it since day 1- this is all smokescreen. Grossman is our starter

[1] Probably the same reason why you almost never see the 3rd QB play.

They don't know the offense.

3rd string QBs don't run their team's offense they run the offense of whatever team they play that week.

Whomever wins the job in camp will be the starter.

Be it Beck, Grossman or a QB to be named later.

what worries me about beck, is what if he has one of those fluke season like derek anderson and we go 10-6 or 11-5..... cant even say it with a straight face..... but say that happens and we dont grab a qb next year and then he does another derek anderson impression and does terrible.

I made my way up to Ashburn, Saturday morning.

For what its worth, i'd just like to say that John Beck is a stand up guy. He signed autographs for hours, taking pictures with kids and engaging in conversations with anyone interested in chatting.

I'm the type of person who enjoys a conversation & fist pound (daps) more than autographs (although i loved getting autographs, at camp, when i was a child.) I was sure to yell out "John Beck versus the world!" <- Great T-Shirt idea.

Bet yehh... If his on-field play is nearly as good as his character, we're in great hands :) My brother and I left the Park very impressed with JB's integrity. Joe Gibbs would love this dude (he's super smart). :pfft: Let's cross our fingers & hope like hell that John can pull it off, proving wrong all the naysayers. He's very easy to root for. You won't meet a better person.

A few of his passes were concerning, I'll admit (his deep balls were "ducks"). Hopefully, he will improve quickly. After all, he was part of a 2 man rotation, at QB, for his first practice of the season at, possibly, his first NFL camps receiving #1 reps (in a long time, at least).

Regardless, Hail!

Beck is probably a good guy and all but ..... he instills very little confidence by what can be seen from behind a keyboard and monitor here in West Texas. The name Beck does not invoke the same optimism as names like Jurgensen, Kilmer, Theismann, Williams and Rypien.

The best thing for Beck and the Redskins if for Beck to have a lot of success if he ends up being the starter this year. Figure the odds.

So, you don't like his name, and it will be best for everyone if he plays well here?

All very insightful!

Beck's arm...I'm not sure that saying Beck has a weak arm is exactly the right criticism. Completing a pass beyond 15 yards in the NFL requires a strong arm and a touch. He's not showing he has the touch for the long pass. He has something wrong with that part of his game that very well might keep him from being a starting QB in the NFL unless he corrects it. Not sure what it is except for the fact that he can't make the connection yet. He overthrows consistently. He doesn't drop the pass into the target. Not much touch at all, if any. As far as throwing a 40-50 yard pass on a rope...not so much. He's not tall enough to see coverages and maybe he can make up for it with quickness or something but he's doesn't look accurate after 15 yards.

He hasn't been able to find this touch in the NFL. Maybe some reps can bring back the touch he displayed in college....

bSnMJ2Yd1mc

Archived