Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just maybe. If only Beck doesn't suck :)

Art

KDwag refuses to accept the above and he does so by dismissing that any other option both through draft and FA was viable that is not logical no matter how you dress it up.

You refuse to listen. Beck is an option because he was on the roster last year and knows the system, and Shanahan knows him. If he weren't on the roster last year, he wouldn't be an option, either. And by the way, I don't think Beck is a viable option anyways, of course, you seem to keep skipping that tidbit every time I post it. There were simply no better options in my opinion.

And I never asked you to accept my opinion as yours. I just ask that you respect it and understand it. Clearly, you are doing neither :)

I'm not sure why your first sentence addressed to me?

If you assume that I use film study to predict outcomes your making a very false assumption.

Never said Beck wasn't a viable option, but logic follows that if Beck is a viable option then there were other viable options as well.

KDwag refuses to accept the above and he does so by dismissing that any other option both through draft and FA was viable that is not logical no matter how you dress it up.

Its one thing to state your opinion its another to ask others to accept your opinion as contingent upon follow your argument.

If this discussion has delved into semmantics its not my intention, it never is I come here to talk straight football.

I'm sorry. I like both your posts and Kdawgs normally. My post wasn't really directed at you, but wouldn't have made much sense if not for the quote.

Was hoping it wouldn't come off like that. I see your point. There are always options, and the viability of said options is subjective. Your and KDawg's opinion on this differs, it's no big deal.

You refuse to listen. Beck is an option because he was on the roster last year and knows the system, and Shanahan knows him. If he weren't on the roster last year, he wouldn't be an option, either. And by the way, I don't think Beck is a viable option anyways, of course, you seem to keep skipping that tidbit every time I post it. There were simply no better options in my opinion.

And I never asked you to accept my opinion as yours. I just ask that you respect it and understand it. Clearly, you are doing neither :)

Your point is getting more and more confusing to me.

Beck is an option because he's on the roster etc but you don't think Beck is a viable option?

Sorry if I miss understood that part of your argument.

I never said I didn't respect your opinion, but its one thing to state its your opinion and quite another to say outright there were no good options available and come up with reason to dismiss each possible option.

---------- Post added July-30th-2011 at 04:59 PM ----------

Woo! Beck changed his number from 3 to 12. Our Tom Brady has officially arrived!
Did he really change his number? I like 3.

Did he really change his number? I like 3.

Yeah Hail! magazine reported it on facebook. Beck to 12, Malcomb to 14.

---------- Post added July-30th-2011 at 05:07 PM ----------

12 was his college number. And it's a quarterback number. Punters wear 3. Quarterbacks wear 12.

It's not like he couldn't wear 3. Apparently Kelly wanted to be 14 because it's closer to his college number 4.

12 was his college number. And it's a quarterback number. Punters wear 3. Quarterbacks wear 12.
A simple yes or no would suffice.

QBs can wear single digit numbers starting with 1.

---------- Post added July-30th-2011 at 05:10 PM ----------

Yeah Hail! magazine reported it on facebook. Beck to 12, Malcomb to 14.

---------- Post added July-30th-2011 at 05:07 PM ----------

It's not like he couldn't wear 3. Apparently Kelly wanted to be 14 because it's closer to his college number 4.

Thanks bro,

weird response huh?

who pissed in his wheaties?

Just got back from vacation and caught up with the transactions of the 'skins and other teams. All I can say is............

"With the first pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select Andrew Luck, quarterback Stanford University."

I honestly believe that we will be that bad. My expectations are at a all-time low, but atleast I won't set myself up for disappointment. Looks like a five year plan if there ever was one.

Shanahans going to get the last laugh. Watch his presser and see the confidence he has when talking about him.

"I've been coaching for a long time, I know what I"m doing, and I have confidence in beck" is basically what he says to the interviewer.

The same confidence he had when he traded two picks to a division rival for McNabb?

---------- Post added July-30th-2011 at 06:01 PM ----------

Just got back from vacation and caught up with the transactions of the 'skins and other teams. All I can say is............

"With the first pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select Andrew Luck, quarterback Stanford University."

I honestly believe that we will be that bad. My expectations are at a all-time low, but atleast I won't set myself up for disappointment. Looks like a five year plan if there ever was one.

Couldn't agree more. I think we're going to be REALLY bad.

Your point is getting more and more confusing to me.

Beck is an option because he's on the roster etc but you don't think Beck is a viable option?

Sorry if I miss understood that part of your argument.

I never said I didn't respect your opinion, but its one thing to state its your opinion and quite another to say outright there were no good options available and come up with reason to dismiss each possible option

I can't for the life of me understand how this is confusing. The only way it could be is if you're reading further into it than necessary.

We had no good options at quarterback. Including the ones on our roster. Our best option, however, was the quarterbacks that were already a part of this team. My point is there were no "solution" quarterbacks, so we're rolling with familiarity.

And you're arguing semantics over and over again and its getting old. Obviously there were physical options, meaning there were quarterbacks we could bring in. But why? None of them were a better option in the long run than what we have (that's my opinion, to clear that up. It seems to also be Shanahan's *shrug*). They'd cost picks, or tie up a year in a system, or be a waste of coaching time as they wouldn't be looked upon for the future anyways. So why tie cash up on that? Why not sign guys at other positions and rebuild this roster from top to bottom. My guess is the quarterback situation is going to be addressed next year, in an efficient manner. But that's a guess.

And for the record, giving reasons for why the other options weren't better options is also, obviously, an opinion.

I don't share things thinking I'm a God, or you must follow what I say. I post opinion. I back my opinions up with points. Never once have I said there literally weren't options (or rather, meant it that way. You and Art took it that way, but obviously there is always options, but I thought I explained my point on that and made it clear: It's my view (MY OPINION) that when there are no good options (IN MY OPINION) there are no options (IN MY OPINION).

I'll start tagging everything with IN MY OPINION in order to make sure we're clear.

Couldn't agree more. I think we're going to be REALLY bad.

I think the biggest reason the smart Redskins fans out there are concerned about how bad we're going to do this year stems from the fear that Dan Snyder will not be patient. Which, in all fairness, is a legitimate concern.

Please, please, PLEASE. Danny boy, if you want a ring, this is how it has to be.

I would be very disappointed if Shanahan is fired after this year. There truly is no hope for this franchise if Snyder dismisses Allen and Shanahan after this year. Unless Shanahan gropes an intern or something, he should be allowed to serve the full term of his contract. The Redskins have nothing to lose.

Well, regardless of this year's outcome I dont see Shanny getting fired. I think even Danny can look at this roster and can tell thats not even a playoff contending team at this point. I do expect the defense to improve this year drastically, given the amount of moves we've made there. But we've completely ignored the offense, and we'll be even worse there this season.

I think the biggest reason the smart Redskins fans out there are concerned about how bad we're going to do this year stems from the fear that Dan Snyder will not be patient. Which, in all fairness, is a legitimate concern.

Please, please, PLEASE. Danny boy, if you want a ring, this is how it has to be.

I would be very disappointed if Shanahan is fired after this year. There truly is no hope for this franchise if Snyder dismisses Allen and Shanahan after this year. Unless Shanahan gropes an intern or something, he should be allowed to serve the full term of his contract. The Redskins have nothing to lose.

As much as I hate to, I agree, we're still waiting to see if that other shoe drops. I pray that TheDan has finally gotten the point but we'll never really know for sure. Just like an alcoholic can always relapse even after years of sobriety, he might decide that what the team needs is more of him again.

I don't know that there is an answer other than prayer that he learns to let pros call the shots.

This post is right on point, as usual KDawg. However, as i've stated before, I do believe that some of this "Beck will be the starter" talk is a bit of a horse and pony show that Shanny's putting on in an attempt to convey to Rex that if he doesn't want to get on board, the team will move on without him. ITS MY OPINION that Shanny & Kyle both would prefer to have Rex back as their starting QB, as long as it's at the right price. Unless Beck has made leaps and bounds in memorizing the playbook during the offseason, considering "knowledge of the system" as a pre-determining factor in choosing a starting QB, Rex trumps Beck.

I think Mike Shanahan considers John Beck his best option because:

Unlike McNabb, he fits the scheme and can run it;

Unlike Vince, he fits the scheme and can run it;

Unlike Rex, he isn't a proven mediocrity since he never had a real chance to succeed in Miami;

Unlike Orton, he won't cost a high pick.

Remember, John Beck was re-signed to a three-year contract, a move which signaled that Mike did not want to risk losing him before giving him his shot.

Unlike Rex, he isn't a proven mediocrity since he never has a real chance to succeed in Miami;

What about Kellen Clemens? :silly:

There was a story in the Washington Post today saying that Kyle Shanahan views John Beck's "approach and preparation" towards the game as similar to Peyton Manning. Being optimistic, I'm giving Beck a chance. Being realistic, he'll probably be average.

There was a story in the Washington Post today saying that Kyle Shanahan views John Beck's "approach and preparation" towards the game as similar to Peyton Manning. Being optimistic, I'm giving Beck a chance. Being realistic, he'll probably be average.

Average is still an upgrade from the past few years, and if he is just average that means we'll be in position for trading to get one of the big three in the draft next year.

Unlike Rex, he isn't a proven mediocrity since he never has a real chance to succeed in Miami;

Remember, John Beck was re-signed to a three-year contract, a move which signaled that Mike did not want to risk losing him before giving him his shot.

Hey I like Beck, I hope he does get a shot. I just think back to last year, all the talk about how KS wasn't able to open up the playbook because Mcnabb wasn't able to get the basics down, with the biggest problem being how to go through the progressions as designed. Then we saw Rex come in, and Rex was able to run through the basics, no problem, and KS was able to open the playbook up. Obviously at this moment, Beck is the most playbook knowledgable QB on the team, but what we don't know is how much of the playbook does he actually know. KS knows that Rex is already on Chapter 8 of his 20 Chapter book (hypothetically), what Chapter is Beck on is the question.

On a side note, I did see some tweets that indicated that Beck was going through his progressions really well, which is obviously an indicator that he's further along right now then Mcnabb was able to get to.

On a side note, I did see some tweets that indicated that Beck was going through his progressions really well, which is obviously an indicator that he's further along right now then Mcnabb was able to get to.

Now he just needs to be able to make the throws. Which will come with time.

so why didn't shanny give Beck playing time at the end of last year?

I've been saying it since day 1- this is all smokescreen. Grossman is our starter

100% agreed.

BECKGRUBER ain't starting unless it's him or the 3rd stringer we picked up from the Jets.

Do y'all really think Parcells would've cut him and then Harbaugh ignored him if he was starting calibre? These types of QBs don't typically fly under the radar in the NFL.

It's gonna be a long year, folks.

It's gonna be a long year, folks.

It's been a long 20 years.

Underperforming QB play is nothing new.

For once in as long as I can remember, I actually have hope for this team. Finally not rolling out the same old retreads.

We were 6-10 with McNabb at QB and probably one of the worst seasons I can remember last year. I'll take watching youth battle over watching washed up retreads for yet another season.

Long years are hopefully long gone now that we have full drafts, with additional picks, and having players play for their contracts, not playing because of them.

Archived