Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just maybe. If only Beck doesn't suck :)

Art

Hell, Tony frigging Banks won 8 games knowing only 3 plays. :ols:

Banks had shown some moderate NFL ability with the Rams. And Marty had the offensive patience we won't see with the Shanahan's, who have already displayed a PURE lack of willingness to cater their system for their players. Marty was a dope, but, once he realized **** was broke and the players rebelled, he dialed everything back to the most simple of all things and we had some success just letting our players play.

All this tank the season bs and "generational" qb talk is nonsense.

Yes the team needs a qb, but as the Redskins, Bucs, Ravens and Giants have shown us, as long as the supporting cast is good/great, an average qb looks outstanding.

Newsflash for all you drama queens prattling about "tanking" the season and pinning all your hopes on Luck... It ain't gonna happen. Quarterbacks are available every year in the draft and FA. Ability and proper coaching count for alot.

NFL players do not play to "lose" or "tank" for some rookie that armchair quarterbacks believe is the second coming.. they want to WIN, and most of them have more pride than alot of you people here.

Even if the team as a whole sucks, guys will spend 60 minutes getting kicked in the teeth, only to come back for more next week. They have pride and spirit... which is more than could be said for some of the fanbase here.

Great to have you back Art. I like your writing. You should post more often. Do it for our sake, ES is not the same without you.

As far as Beck, I think it might work, maybe. If not, then we unleash the dragon (if you have virgin ears, do not click this link).

Beck is the right kind of QB for Kyle's offense. He is a technician. If he will excel, it will be in an offense like this, one that emphasize precision passes and timing. I predict Beck looks bad at first, but as the WRs get on the same page with Kyle and Beck, the offense will start to hum, assuming we can get a decent rushing attack going this season.

I'm for rooting for this team to win as many games as possible this year.

I cannot believe we have reached a point where this needs to be said.

The thing you hope for is that Beck is a super stud like he was in college and we win it all this year, or at least win the division, or he sucks buttholes and we tank the year.

Vivid imagery there. :yikes:

Oversized OP

Shh. Let Art talk. We miss hearing his words.

2.) Getting tired of the "we need to tank the season to draft luck" talk - I hope we never draft luck! I seriously hate hearing his name now lol Luck Sucks!

:ols:

Shanahans going to get the last laugh. Watch his presser and see the confidence he has when talking about him.

"I've been coaching for a long time, I know what I"m doing, and I have confidence in beck" is basically what he says to the interviewer.

Shanny actually said he is "staking his reputation" on John Beck. I have no doubt that he really is that confident in the guy.

NFL players do not play to "lose" or "tank" for some rookie that armchair quarterbacks believe is the second coming.. they want to WIN, and most of them have more pride than alot of you people here.

Even if the team as a whole sucks, guys will spend 60 minutes getting kicked in the teeth, only to come back for more next week. They have pride and spirit... which is more than could be said for some of the fanbase here.

You are right about this. So was Herm.

W42iiCcFbxE

The 2012 draft: 3-13 would be better for our future than 8-8 without a mediocre QB.

I agree especially with the crop in the next draft, many seemed focused on Luck but you got Barkley, Jones, Foles, it is looking like a rare draft for QB's, quality and depth.

The media types think in sound bites and jump on bandwagons. I see what Jaws and Mike like about John Beck.

I like the fact that Mike is showing that he doesn't care about being second-guessed. There are lots of reasons to root for him to be right about John Beck.

From what I've seen, Beck seems to make quick decisions and has a quick release. Greg Cosell who studies tape for NFL Films seems to like him too. Otherwise, yeah agree the media is definitely on the bandwagon that Beck is a bust, its a popular notion with them coupled with that the Skins have the worst QBs in the league, and a chunk are saying the Skins will be the worst team in football this year.

All this tank the season bs and "generational" qb talk is nonsense.

Yes the team needs a qb, but as the Redskins, Bucs, Ravens and Giants have shown us, as long as the supporting cast is good/great, an average qb looks outstanding.

Newsflash for all you drama queens prattling about "tanking" the season and pinning all your hopes on Luck... It ain't gonna happen. Quarterbacks are available every year in the draft and FA. Ability and proper coaching count for alot.

+1...kind of disheartening reading some of these "fans" posts. My God, the season hasn't even started and the ****ing sky is falling!

We've tried signing every big name free agent availible in the past, didn't work.

People ***** and say build through the draft, we trade picks for more picks and get some solid players, people still ****ing.

People ***** about being too old, we get younger and they still *****.

People ***** about growing talent, we grow talent and *****, *****, *****, *****!

Our fanbase is nothing but a bunch of PAM's! Piss and moan, piss and moan no matter what we do.

As fans, we have no first hand evidence to support the idea that Beck can succeed in the NFL and the odds are very much stacked against him. A little blind optimism never hurt anyone, though.
You mean other then physical skillset?

Because if you look at his physical skillset there's no reason why he can't play.

I'm not going to judge a QB based on circumstances.

I prefer to judge based on his physical skillset and his on the field play.

If people are judging his career based on 5 games from his rookie year then so be it.

But those same people need to go back and look at Sanchez, Stafford or Josh Freeman's etc.. rookie seasons.

I do not fully appreciate the thought that because a guy hasn't played he can't play. No one here would know the name Tom Brady had Bledsoe not gotten hurt the way he did. Had Bledsoe finished the season, the Pats would have lost 10 more games, Belichick would likely be a defensive coordinator somewhere, and the new coach there would have drafted a QB. Kurt Warner certainly emerged not because someone found him, but because he emerged when thrust into a position. The notion the NFL finds QBs is not entirely fair. Very often the QB is someone you never expected who steps up when given a chance.

Beck's sole chance was as a rookie on a horrible team. None of us should overly punish him for that.

Joe Theismann said on NFL Network yesterday that Beck reminds him of Drew Brees. They look a lot like one another. The two work out together in San Diego. As NFL prospects, Beck may even be slightly ahead of Brees. Brees makes fast decisions and delivers an accurate ball. Beck is not Drew Brees. But, his game is similar, only he has a bit more arm on the intermediate passes from what we can gather. If given his first legitimate chance to start, he could well prove to be what he's been. A backup. That's what most of us expect. If the areas of his game which are said to resemble Brees, who, himself, was no great shakes early in his career, then maybe we could have something here.

Not too long ago the Cowboys had Tony Romo sits to pee take over at QB and go from, "Are you kidding me," to, "Oh, yeah." Now, Romo sits to pee has issues, to be certain, but he can throw the ball. I actually probably like his game a bit more than I like what I know of Beck -- and it's a similar reason why I like Rex more than Beck too -- as I like a bit if a gambler, gunslinger type.

Again, Beck would appear to be and IS one of the weakest starting QBs in the NFL entering the season. Maybe the weakest. Anything more would be a pleasure :)

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2011/07/06/emerging-nfl-talents-qb-john-beck-redskins/#comment-147

That link was up earlier. In the middle is a lot of NFL Draft stuff on Beck. Certainly if all that had just happened this past April we'd be pretty excited to have John Beck. It happened a few years ago and the man has not really played. No, I'm not sold. Yes, I still think it's ridiculous to go with Beck as our presumed starter. But, he did appear to have some ability coming out and that ability is not likely gone.

I still think Rex starts week 1.

Honestly, I'm fine with that. I, strangely, like Rex. I believe we saw enough to know in this offense he'd throw for 3500 yards, 20 TDs or so and be pretty productive. He fits it well. His mistakes, especially fumbles, would be so high as to limit us. But, as totally average as Grossman is, he has been the starting QB on a Super Bowl team. For the whole year. YOU CAN achieve pretty good things with him. It's not like you're doomed with him. Beck is a relative unknown. More of an open question as to what his potential really is to the upside or downside. Rex hasn't actually signed with us yet. That's not good. Assuming he does, he's totally comfortable in the offense and CAN hold the starting job down a year or two if Beck can not. We won't likely be all that great or anything, but, it's a possibility.

Honestly, I'm fine with that. I, strangely, like Rex. I believe we saw enough to know in this offense he'd throw for 3500 yards, 20 TDs or so and be pretty productive. He fits it well. His mistakes, especially fumbles, would be so high as to limit us. But, as totally average as Grossman is, he has been the starting QB on a Super Bowl team. For the whole year. YOU CAN achieve pretty good things with him. It's not like you're doomed with him. Beck is a relative unknown. More of an open question as to what his potential really is to the upside or downside. Rex hasn't actually signed with us yet. That's not good. Assuming he does, he's totally comfortable in the offense and CAN hold the starting job down a year or two if Beck can not. We won't likely be all that great or anything, but, it's a possibility.

Agreed, pretty much. The offense wasn't noticeably better or worse last season with him vs DM5. Put Rex in, go run heavy, see what happens. Anything to spare me & my liver from the utter disaster that will be starting John Beck for 16 games is fine with me.

People have taken the "Beck said he's the starter so he's the starter" thing and run with it. Him saying it doesn't make it so. Rex is K. Shanahan's guy, has more experience in the system, and has a much better NFL track record. Beck is a career backup with an 0-5 record who was, a long time a go, a fairly high draft pick, but even the dude who drafted him traded him for the NFL equivalent of a ham sammich.

The sad thing is that a large part of our fan base wants us to go 1-15 so we can draft Luck. Every damn ball that Beck overthrows or underthrows is going to be highlighted by the Luckbots. "AH HA! Did you see that! He missed Armstrong!" Hell, reading the twitters in the training camp thread, it was like Beck didn't complete one damn pass, like he went 0-11 or something. Equal coverage on his completions would be nice.

Rex starting week one is fine by me as well. I assumed he would start all along even given Shamwow's love for Beck. This team isn't going to just hand him the job unless he's the best guy in camp and pre-season, and I'd think Rex would be able to easily beat him this year just based on experience in the system.

:2cents:

Actually has Beck even said he's gonna be the starter?

I've only heard him say he'll have a chance to compete for the job.

And that he thinks of himself as a starter, which btw is what most NFL QBs think from 1st string to 3rd string.

The rest of the whole Beck is the "No.1 QB" is sports media spin.

Yet, John Beck was acquired for Doug Dutch and was on the roster.

The real problem here, and I fear it may be the defining move that shapes the Shanahan era, is our former quarterback, Donovan McNabb. When we traded draft picks for an aging diva who didn't fit the system, we set this team back. He bombed, and our guys in the wings were John Beck and Rex Grossman. Neither name is inspiring.

But they are both certainly more inspiring than going through another season with McNabb at the helm.

What other options did we really have this year? Trade more draft picks for a guy who may not fit the system? Sign a head case quarterback who throws his pads into the stands when he doesn't get his way? Give away more picks to Andy Reid for Kevin Kolb? Our options were, quite simply, minimal.

So what did you all want the Redskins to do? Go back to the Vinny days and trade the farm for an aging quarterback who may or may not fit? Or go Bruce/Mike style from last year and trade less than the farm, but still a hefty sum, for an aging quarterback who may or may not fit?

This was not the year for a quarterback. And I still believe that if Locker was on the board when we drafted in April that he would be a Washington Redskin. But that wasn't the case.

John Beck will likely be bad. Rex Grossman will show flashes of brilliance and moments of terrible. But what other choice did we have? Remember, the future of this team is more important than dropping future picks for a quarterback who may not fit what we need at the helm.

So what is it that you guys wanted?

So what is it that you guys wanted?

Great post and great question. I don't know how to answer it, but I definitely want something different. It was Halloween last year when McNabb got benched and we fully realized we were screwed at QB. It amazes me that since then, with the draft, free agency, trades and Snyder's millions, we couldn't do any better than Beck and Grossman.

What makes this even more frustrating is that this appears to have been a solid draft and solid offseason for us...I just feel that the QB position has been pushed aside. You still have to trust in Shanahan and Allen regardless...but this could be a very long season.

Then as far as "who cares, if we suck we get our QB of the future", how many times has that actually worked? For the Skins or any team in the NFL? (teams that intentionally did not address their QB situation for the purpose of taking a good college QB that still has one year left in college)

Great post and great question. I don't know how to answer it, but I definitely want something different. It was Halloween last year when McNabb got benched and we fully realized we were screwed at QB. It amazes me that since then, with the draft, free agency, trades and Snyder's millions, we couldn't do any better than Beck and Grossman.

I don't know of any Redskin fan who wouldn't want our quarterback situation to be solidified.

However, wanting something different and having viable options for something different are two entirely different things.

Do we want Snyder involved or not?

Do we want to trade future picks or not?

Do we want to sign head cases or not?

Do we want to sign aging players or not?

Our fanbase as a whole wobbles on these issues. One minute they want one thing, the next they want another. And our front office has done the same. With the moves thus far in this young offseason, I'd say we're doing things the right way, even if it means we won't be competitive for a few more years.

Kdawg,

I think the answer for want is pretty simple.

Most fans would be content now with a solid QB to hold the system down WITH a young QB you are led to believe could become your future. Matt Hasselbeck as our starter and Blaine Gabbert at No. 10 would probably have people here VERY, VERY excited. Now, Hasselbeck is not a good fit for what we do, just as Donovan wasn't. Here's what we didn't know about Donovan. He was tuned to look short and throw short. He had a BEAUTIFUL arm and COULD throw deep, but he was just a short passer, who sucked at that really, but who preferred it mentally. All those years in Philly we made fun of Reid for short passing it was as much Donovan's needs. Reid then would dial in big chances, a lot like Gibbs, and it worked there. You saw them throw deep so often you kind of thought Donovan was a down field, then short passer. We found he was a short passer you had to FORCE deep throws with. Hasselbeck is a GREAT short passer, and only average deep.

Still, people would be very excited with a bridge and a future.

Right now we have neither a bridge nor a future. Perhaps Beck becomes both.

:)

Kdawg,

I think the answer for want is pretty simple.

Most fans would be content now with a solid QB to hold the system down WITH a young QB you are led to believe could become your future. Matt Hasselbeck as our starter and Blaine Gabbert at No. 10 would probably have people here VERY, VERY excited.

Not me. Hasselbeck would have been another mistake, although much less costly than the McNabb fiasco. Our fanbase would have wanted him lynched by week 10. If we went the bridge and future method, our bridge wouldn't have been stable for very long.

In order to properly utilize the bridge and future technique, it's my opinion that you must have had a veteran QB with years in a system and a rookie behind him. We don't have that guy. Some could argue that Grossman is that guy, but he's not even under contract at the moment and he's not the type of guy you want as a mentor to your young quarterback. We don't have that luxury. Bringing in Hasselbeck for half a season isn't a bridge, it's a band-aid to cover a gaping wound. If we were going that route, it would have been better off to draft a rookie and just throw him to the wolves.

I don't believe many of the quarterbacks in this years draft class fit what we needed to do. I think the Shanahan's realized that, and saw the potential in next year's class. You want to avoid drafting quarterbacks in back to back years if at all possible, at least in the first few rounds. Even if we don't stink as badly as many believe we will and get in position to grab Andrew Luck, there are other promising quarterbacks that are coming out next year/graduating. I'm not familiar with next years FA crop, but one has to wonder about that as well.

I've been down on Shanahan up until two days ago. Now I'm starting to see a plan develop. I have to believe that Beck this year is being given a chance, with the ultimate plan to take our franchise quarterback (or hopeful franchise quarterback) in the NFL Draft next year.

I feel better about Beck/Grossman than I would Hasselbeck/Gabbert. Beck/Grossman at least know this system, and somewhat fit. Neither Hasselbeck, or in my opinion, Gabbert, fit or know the system. As I watched more and more on Gabbert, I cooled on him considerably.

People here being very excited means squat. They've been overly optimistic for years. It's time to do it the right way, even if it means some ruffled feathers in our fanbase.

What would I have done? Had more than John Beck on the roster.

This is the funny part: We still don't have Grossman. I think he comes back, but who the hell knows? Maybe Jerry Jones signs him just to **** with the Skins?

I probably would have drafted a QB this year and taken a one or two year flyer on someone like Vince Young or Matt Leinart. And kept Beck.

The fact that our QB competition is likely going to be Beck vs. Grossman is almost comical.

You can say that Tony Romo sits to pee came out of nowhere, and you would be correct. Except Romo sits to pee emerged organically. He just stuck on the roster, looked good in pre-season, and sat behind serviceable veterans like Testaverde and Bledsoe. When he took over, they still had Bledsoe in case the experiment blew up.

At the moment, the Skins have John Beck and no net.

PS

In reality, what I probably would have done is not benched McNabb last year and had him be the starter this year. It's still not 100 percent clear to me why McNabb had to be benched let alone chased out of town by a pack of feral dogs.

You can argue that the Skins need to get younger or build for the future, but nothing destroys a rebuiling plan faster than a bunch of 3 and outs on offense. One side of the ball never gets reps and the other gets exhausted and injured.

The sad thing is that a large part of our fan base wants us to go 1-15 so we can draft Luck. Every damn ball that Beck overthrows or underthrows is going to be highlighted by the Luckbots. "AH HA! Did you see that! He missed Armstrong!" Hell, reading the twitters in the training camp thread, it was like Beck didn't complete one damn pass, like he went 0-11 or something. Equal coverage on his completions would be nice.

That's because a large part of our fanbase consists of morons. And you're right, everytime he or rex have a incomplete pass or god forbid throw an interception, expect to see 5000 posts here crying about how all the team's qb's should be cut, give up on the season for Luck, etc etc.

Just wait....its coming.

Grossman will be here, he cannot practice till the 4th anyway so there is no hurry. He knows the system it was not a priority. Build the defense, OL/ground game then bring in your franchise qb. (see atlanta, jets, ravens) the path seems clear to me. I see

Shanny doing that.

Archived