Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Confused: Need some real insight from well learned posters on Albert Trade

Skinzfever2010

(Mods delete if needed, didn't think it would be fair to try and have this convo in the FA thread/or the overly celebratory Albert is traded all is well now thread)

I called my uncle mark 30 mins ago (45 year old die hard) and he basically stated that Albert made out great landing in NE. I :ols: at first but then I thought about it and realized he landed with a team that has a pretty good chance of winning the Super Bowl and could play a pivotal role on their D.

I could see the media spinning as some kind of comeback story like they did Moss in NE. Should we have traded him to Oak for a 5th rounder in 2013? Was it a bad move (he got paid now he plays for a great team with a great QB & HC) ?

It wasn't a bad move for us...Albert lost the trust of his teammates as well as coaches. To me, getting him out of the locker room was probably worth a few rounds in draft pick...i.e, dumping him for a 5th was probably the equivalent of getting a 2nd rounder (in my opinion) when you factor in getting him out of the locker room.

He probably went to a good situation...I know it's a 3-4, but I read somewhere, and it's accurate, they NE like their DE's in the 3-4 to attack the QB rather than take up blockers, see Richard Seymour's sack totals from that position when he played for NE. So they'll turn Albert loose and let him do what he likes to do, which is get upfield. That combined with Belichick's history of working with problem children makes me think the trade works for both sides.

I'm happy with it.

He's gone to an AFC team (we will only see him once every few years, including this one), we got something out of it at least. A 5th rounder isn't terrible considering that we weren't going to keep him regardless. And he still has to play in a 3-4, under one of the strictest coaches in the game.

Key to the trade is that he's out of the NFC.

He got a middle finger by being traded to a 3-4 team where he'll have to play DE.

No one knows what the market was so getting rid of him right before camp opens is the biggest benefit to the team.

It's essentially a late 6th rounder we get being that the pick is for 2013.

That pick can be packaged to move up, more ammo on draft day, no headache in locker room.

Couldn't we have virtually punished him and done the same thing trading him to OAK?

Why reward this guy? I would only trade someone like Cooley to NE (thats if we trade him)

Trading partners have to be willing, Oakland might not have wanted him. Though with Al Davis in charge, that's difficult to imagine, I'll give you that. As listed above, NE is a trade that works for both sides. Getting rid of Albert was worth far more to us than a 5th rounder in terms of intangible benefits, and NE is a place where he may have a chance to succeed if he gets his **** together, because their 3-4 is run differently than ours. It's still a 3-4, but he won't be asked to play NT there.

Honestly, I don't think Haynesworth biggest gripe was playing in a 3-4, it was playing for a team that was losing. He was just using the switch to a 3-4 as an excuse.

I'm willing to bet he'll look great playing end in NE's 3-4, which is why this is a good trade for both teams. Cures cancer for the Skins, another talented reclamation project for the Pats.

Trading partners have to be willing, Oakland might not have wanted him. Though with Al Davis in charge, that's difficult to imagine, I'll give you that. As listed above, NE is a trade that works for both sides. Getting rid of Albert was worth far more to us than a 5th rounder in terms of intangible benefits, and NE is a place where he may have a chance to succeed if he gets his **** together, because their 3-4 is run differently than ours. It's still a 3-4, but he won't be asked to play NT there.

I'm trying to understand it but I get what your saying. Its really hard to imagine Al Davis wouldn't have sent us a 5th in 2013.( he traded for Campbell for God sake? I don't like the trade.

I can't fathom thinking about Albert holing the trophy at the end of the year and hugging Tom Brady.

Honestly, I don't think Haynesworth biggest gripe was playing in a 3-4, it was playing for a team that was losing. He was just using the switch to a 3-4 as an excuse.

I'm willing to bet he'll look great playing end in NE's 3-4, which is why this is a good trade for both teams. Cures cancer for the Skins, another talented reclamation project for the Pats.

Eff him then. The reason his team was losing is because the highest paid player wouldn't play.

Also, NE plays a 3-4. He may have no choice but to play nice, but he isnt gonna like it and that makes me giggle.

Yeah, but even though Shanahan thinks he's still stuck it to AH, what he's really done is shown he's no Bill Belichick. I was hoping they'd keep him and he'd actually play this year. Orakpo seemed ready to beat him into line. Low risk (Orakpo keeps him in line, or they just bench him again; we're used to that now), high reward, honestly.

---------- Post added July-28th-2011 at 10:21 AM ----------

I'm trying to understand it but I get what your saying. Its really hard to imagine Al Davis wouldn't have sent us a 5th in 2013.( he traded for Campbell for God sake? I don't like the trade.

But what did the Skins ultimately get? I thought it ended up being a conditional fourth that likely would never be paid.

Yeah, but even though Shanahan thinks he's still stuck it to AH, what he's really done is shown he's no Bill Belichick. I was hoping they'd keep him and he'd actually play this year. Orakpo seemed ready to beat him into line. Low risk (Orakpo keeps him in line, or they just bench him again; we're used to that now), high reward, honestly.

I swear I'm going to puke watching the Pats & Jets in the AFC Championship or possibly watching fat ass go from the bench to the Super Bowl (and he got paid last year)

**** Vinny

Hail!

Smart that we dealt AH out of the NFC.

Getting a pick in 2013 was actually a good thing, since we already have an extra 4th (Campbell/Oakland) and an extra 6th (McNabb/Minnesota) in the 2012 draft. Now we have an extra 5th and a possible extra 6th (conditional pick McNabb/Minn) in the 2013 draft. Nice to see us going into the next 2 drafts with more than the standard 7 picks.

Sure, would have liked to have seen AH fetch a 4th but a 5th is fine to dump a headache and keep him away from Philadelphia.

Our DL should be pretty decent this year with Carriker, Cofield, and possibly Cullen Jenkins starting, and Jarvis Jenkins serving as quality depth.

My biggest fear was that we'd trade him for a ham sandwich to "anyone but the Eagles", and the team we trade him to would flip around and deal him to Philly for a 3rd rounder.

I understand that worry as well but now we have pretty good chance of watching him win a ring and wondering what if. We also have that long list of players who seem to do extremely well when they leave town (he may end up that one as well)

smh

Im glad he is gone bottom line but yes it does kind of suck that in the end he did pretty good. Got paid now gets to be on a team with a lot of potential and contend. Now he will be interviewed and try to spin it how the Redskins were to blame for his problems.. I think enough damage has been done to his reputation and he will have a difficult time doing that completely but if he starts to actually play hard we will get to watch the media eat it up... while us Skins fan will only be able to grind our teeth. Im still holding out hope that karma bites him big time in the near future. But Im ready to move on.

Im glad he is gone bottom line but yes it does kind of suck that in the end he did pretty good. Got paid now gets to be on a team with a lot of potential and contend. Now he will be interviewed and try to spin it how the Redskins were to blame for his problems.. I think enough damage has been done to his reputation and he will have a difficult time doing that completely but if he starts to actually play hard we will get to watch the media eat it up... while us Skins fan will only be able to grind our teeth. Im still holding out hope that karma bites him big time in the near future. But Im ready to move on.

I see

I'm going to try and adopt that view sir. However, once the media starts spinning it I'm going to puke. They already have a stake against us for our FA moves last decade this will be their icing on the cake.

Dan stay the hell away from the FO

Hail!

Don't worry guys, Haynesworth won't be any better in NE. It wasn't about playing NT or losing games, it was his personality and that won't ever change. He'll bring down NE just like he brought us down.

Yes, Haynesworth might go to NE and play very well and win a SB, but you have to make the best deal you can for the WASHINGTON REDSKINS. If NE was giving you more value for him, then any other team that's where he has to go.

Some free agents come here and suck and we think they suck.

Most of the time that happens and they end their careers here and we never see if they can play or if we, as an organization, is to blame for their suckdom.

Haynesworth goes to the Pats where I full expect him to do very well. Unlike Haslett, Belichick will only use Albert in ways Albert excels at. That means Albert won't be on the field all the time either. But in 20 to 30 plays a game he'll look pretty damn good there. Think Brandon Lloyd. He was always an EXCELLENT signing. We just sucked so bad it didn't matter. Given a chance with a guy who can throw the ball and Lloyd becomes elite.

Archived