Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Fans Shift In Thinking - Or not

KDawg

All offseason, all I heard was that people were glad we were on the right track. We were done going after the big name free agents and we needed to sign guys that fit our schemes. Now that free agency has been looming, I tend to notice that the vast majority of our fans aren't singing the same tune.

Asomugha and Holmes are two names I keep seeing coming up. Over and over again. I even see people that want to resign Santana Moss to pair with a newly signed Santonio Holmes. Then they want every free agent under the sun.

I think a lot of us are missing an important dynamic: Fit.

We went the route of big name free agents coming here, and we've failed time and time again.

I'm not sure what it is about the offseason that bites our collective fanbase in the butt and makes everyone want to throw big money around, but it happens every year. Throwing money at aging veterans is not going to turn this team into a winner. Our core isn't even built yet. We're not 2-3 players away, in my opinion, and if we do well this year I think we're quite frankly going to be overachievers (which, by the way, I'd love). This is a process.

You can't make a sandwich by putting two pieces of bread together with no meat (or whatever your choice for middle filler is).

We don't have the core, or the meat, to be throwing money at free agents that don't fit. So why is it everyone wants them?

Agree. Our fan base is simply addicted to big names. Meanwhile the Steelers went out and signed 15 UDFA's today. YES 15 of them.

Odds are they will find a contributor or 2 out of that bunch. Meanwhile we are wondering about Santonio Holmes, who would be useless on a team with this kind of foundation

Its mind boggling

I will lose a lot of respect for this front office if we sign Santonio Holmes, after all their talk about building this team the right way.

After an excellent draft, and a season where we slowly but surely committed to a youth movement, we have remade this team into one that is being built for the long haul. Considering we have no QB, and we are still working our way back from the Vinny Cerrato hangover, to make “win now” type moves like Santonio Holmes, or signing a big name CB, or 30 year old OL or DL, is to revert to right back to where we always are, looking for a quick fix (much like last year).

Had Mike Shanahan said from day one “this is a multi-year process, and we are rebuilding from ground zero”, he would currently have zero pressure and media scrutiny on him and the team.

Instead, he did what he did last season (signing McNabb being the signature move), and we went from a team simply rebuilding in 2010, to one that was shooting to win now and make the playoffs year one. A very stupid and Cerrato-like plan.

Should he do the same thing this year, and spend like the good ole days of Dan Snyder football and “winning the offseason”, he is setting himself up to fail on a team that has about an 8 or 9 win ceiling. For him, to go win now, he has to win, or else the “Should the Redskins fire Shanahan?” and “Has the game passed Shanahan?” stories will start rolling out.

Not to mention all artificially pumping this team up with enough band-aids and quick fix free agents will do will be to guarantee a first round playoff exit and a missed shot at an elite QB in the 2012 draft.

So instead of chasing after aging stars or up and down WRs, let’s roll with the significant youth we have amassed this year. It’s not like we are winning the Super Bowl this year, so let’s develop our guys for 2012 and beyond, instead of chasing instant gratification.

Instead of signing Antonio Cromartie, sign some veteran depth to push Kevin Barnes into the starting CB job. He was our best CB on a per snap basis last year.

Instead of breaking the bank on 31 year old Aubrayo Franklin, let’s continue to see Anthony Bryant work, keep Chris Neild on the 53 man roster instead of the practice squad, and sign a young NT to rotate with those guys.

Instead of signing Cullen Jenkins to a massive payday after he won a title, let’s make sure Jarvis Jenkins is getting plenty of time in the DE rotation.

Instead of signing an expensive ILB to replace McIntosh, let Riley and Henson duke it out.

And instead of signing Santonio “One puff from a year suspension” Holmes, let’s let our young WRs run under the leadership of Santana.

That being said, there are several positions where we don’t have any real young starting material – RG, RT, and QB – those are the positions that should be priorities. CB, WR, DE, NT, ILB, CB – these are all places we have young starting material.

That’s what I would do, if I was trying to build a team to be a long term dominate power in the NFC East. It’s going to take more than one offseason to catch up to the Eagles and Giants (and unfortunately the Cowboys). So let’s think long term here.

I vote "or not".

The thing is that those who want to do something loopy are generally a lot more vocal about it, so they seem to be the voice of the crowd, when usually the crowd is just looking his way wondering "who is that dumbass making all the noise?"

The single most important thing we need and may have from gotten so far from the new regime is a rational plan for what this team needs to be. Instead of Vinnie playing NFL Action Figures! w/ FAs, we should see some less splashy signings that fit the overall scheme now under construction.

I

That’s what I would do, if I was trying to build a team to be a long term dominate power in the NFC East. It’s going to take more than one offseason to catch up to the Eagles and Giants (and unfortunately the Cowboys). So let’s think long term here.

That was a fantastic post. I am 100 percent with you

This team is nowhere near contention. Singing Holmes does 0 for us

Had Mike Shanahan said from day one “this is a multi-year process, and we are rebuilding from ground zero”, he would currently have zero pressure and media scrutiny on him and the team.

You, me and a host of others have been saying the same thing for quite some time.

You, me and a host of others have been saying the same thing for quite some time.

What FO's have come out and said they're re-building and more or less admitted the team can't contend?

I think we both realize it's a very small #, and it's not the norm whatsoever. Coaches/FO's have PR functions as well, and part of their PR functions are too make sure everything appears fine and dandy even when teams are at the bottom of the barrel. IE Mike Shannahan touting John Beck around as if he's better than any QB in this past draft class.

The problem is a group of fans seem to feel entitled to know the Redskins FO plan, not recognizing that almost no FO does this in the NFL. The best thing to do is watch what they do and not what they say.

Now let's take a look at a timeline of actions and not quotes:

-Trade for McNabb (win-now)

-Sign Galloway/Williams/LJ/Parker (Win-now)

-Trade for JB (win-now/prepare for future)

-Elevate AA to a starter (future)

-Bring up banks from PS (future)

-Start Kory over Dockery (future)

-Cut LJ/activate Torain/Keiland Williams (Future)

-Put Antonio Bryant in rotation (future)

-Give Monty pt (future)

-Elevate Austin from PS (future)

-NFL draft strategy trading back acquiring picks (future)

Despite what has been said, I see a FO that obviously made a few mistakes at the get-go but has done fairly well in picking up the pieces of not only their mistakes but also the mistakes of previous regimes here in WSH.

I am not going to lie, I wanted us to get Asomugha, but after people telling me that he plays more of a man press type style and we run a zone base coverage, I eased on wanting him. I still think he would be able to succeed, but his style of play plus his money demands make me think we need to go another direction.

As far as receiver goes, I been saying for the last couple of months that the only one we should go after is Moss. We don't need Holmes,Edwards,Ocho,Moss, etc.

When I started watching the Redskins, faithfully, it was 1997. 14 years later, I am finally starting to realize that not every good player, can be good on every team. I just hope that our owner realized the same thing.

Maybe i missing something but how is signing Holmes a win now move? Hes young and really good. Our best WR is getting older (not saying i dont want Moss back, but what if he actually wants to win and wont sign back with us).

Are we just going to count on the Rooks and an always hurt Kelly?

I'm with you, if we don't re-sign Moss, which is in my opinion ideal, I think we should definitely make a push for a player like Santonio.

I'm with you, if we don't re-sign Moss, which is in my opinion ideal, I think we should definitely make a push for a player like Santonio.

He's a playmaker. Plain and simple. The guy missed the first four games of the season last year, kept in shape during that time (2011 offseason anyone?) and came in and electrified that Jets offense. I won't be disappointed if we don't get him, but I won't be if we do either.

What FO's have come out and said they're re-building and more or less admitted the team can't contend?.

Question, since when is following the norm always the best way to do things? Last I checked its usually the teams that do things that are outside the box that succeed most often.

One, I never believed in all of this "rebuilding talk" from jump--coaches like MS don't go anywhere to rebuild.

Two, the Redskins will never rebuild like they should w/ DES as owner--he simply doesn't have the guts to be a KC or DET for a year or two, so I never got my hopes up that we would be one of those teams, or deluded myself into thinking that just because we drafted a bunch of players during a lockout--when no FA's could be signed--that we'd suddenly changed our organizational philosophy.

Three, I fully expect the Redskins to be the Redskins and maintain the status quo and go anywhere from 5-11 to 8-8 this season, finish "good" enough to miss out on a franchise QB, and for the cycle to continue.

Four, MS has had no consistent plan from day one; reports point toward a major run on high-dollar FA's, yet his QB--as of now--is John Beck. John Beck. You mean to tell me there aren't any second-tier vet WR's that we could add, that would still improve our WR corps while allowing us to focus most of the money on the OL and DL?

If you knew it was going to be a multi-year process why do you care what Shanahan says? And I disagree about the media pressure. People would still look for reasons to put the pressure on. Even though nobody expected the Skins to be competitive last year they still hounded every move and every loss and it had nothing to do with Shanahan not saying he expected the team to lose.

Question, since when is following the norm always the best way to do things? Last I checked its usually the teams that do things that are outside the box that succeed most often.

What advantage would a FO have by going "outside-the-box" and detailing their plan to build a contender for all to see?

What advantage would a FO have by going "outside-the-box" and detailing their plan to build a contender for all to see?

There is no need to detail. If we signed big name FAs (like, say Moss AND Holmes, Asomugha, among others) then we clearly don't have one to begin with.

Two, the Redskins will never rebuild like they should w/ DES as owner--he simply doesn't have the guts to be a KC or DET for a year or two

Detroit has 3 top 2 picks on their team, Stafford/Suh/Johnson, it was hardly a year or two. In addition they're still at the bottom of the barrel in their division, not exactly a great example to follow.

KC has been built in all of what like 2 years by Pioli. And he has used FA to his advantage to acquire "over-the-hill" players like Vrabel, and also to acquire starters like Matt Cassell.

Because people differ on their opinions on who and what will fit.

Except we've got a reputation for signing guys who don't fit. And Hall/Asomugha's skill sets don't mesh. They are not a pair of corners that "fit".

Detroit has 3 top 2 picks on their team, Stafford/Suh/Johnson, it was hardly a year or two. In addition they're still at the bottom of the barrel in their division, not exactly a great example to follow.

KC has been built in all of what like 2 years by Pioli. And he has used FA to his advantage to acquire "over-the-hill" players like Vrabel, and also to acquire starters like Matt Cassell.

I would trade our roster for Detroit's right now

The law of averages? It's gotta work one of these times...

:ols:

Archived