Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dexter: Season 6 (Season premier tonight at 9pm 10/2/11)!

'Skins_&_'Stons

That's the only explanation that makes sense - although I am cringing at the thought of Colin Hanks trying to pull that off.

Either way, I think this season has been pretty lame - Brother Sam was the best part but he was killed off so quickly that it didn't matter. Anytime you can predict a "twist" like that 4-5 episodes prior to the reveal, it's lame.

However, I am a bit intrigued to see how the intern plays into all of this now that they showed him owning the Ice Truck Killer hand from earlier in the season.

It seems Olmos is still playing Gellar from the previews, so probably not too much schitzo stuff from Hanks. I'm looking forward to seeing how he pulls off the drastic change of character. I thought it was a pretty cool twist. I saw Brother Sam dying coming, but I didn't see this twist.

I'm also wondering where they're going w/ the intern. I knew there would be something up with him, I like that he's the one who bought the Ice Truck Killer's hand, but I'm wondering if they'll just leave it at him being a weird collector. I've enjoyed this season so far because the focus has gone to other characters as well, and we're actually seeing their development over the series. It's a nice change of pace from heavy Dexter focus and everyone only develops suddenly and as a result of an immediate tragedy.

Also, I do think they did a good job with the Hanks twist. From the interview w/ the producer after, they didn't reveal the twist to Hanks and the rest of the cast until that episode, except for Hall obviously.

It was a pretty obvious twist, though. I appreciate it, but I'll appreciate it much more if there's a bigger twist that we're lulled into not expecting because of the kinda lame "big reveal" of THIS twist. That would be cool.

And I kinda like the buddy-cop thing going on between Angel and Quinn, although its mostly just Angel covering up for Quinn constantly. But its nice seeing them develop and interact outside a main storyline plot involving Dexter. Remember when Angel considered himself to be Dexter's best friend, or at least close friend? They never interact anymore.

It was a pretty obvious twist, though. I appreciate it, but I'll appreciate it much more if there's a bigger twist that we're lulled into not expecting because of the kinda lame "big reveal" of THIS twist. That would be cool.

I'm usually pretty good w/ spotting them, such as something weird being up with the intern, the captain being the one w/ the call girl (though anybody could've guessed that after La Guerta made the phone call when the case first was closed), but I missed the Gellar twist completely, so did my friends who watch the show. For that reason I don't think it was as obvious as you claim. I didn't see anyone commenting in here making such a guess either. I like that I missed it, because looking back at the previous episodes gives them new perspective now. You're pretty sharp catching the twist ahead of time, I really didn't see anyone, here or elsewhere, calling that twist ahead of time, so while it may have been obvious to you, I don't think it was that obvious, but I can understand why calling such a twist ahead of time could leave you ultimately disappointed.

That being said, I too am hoping for a bigger twist by season's end. I'm thinking they drop a bigger twist with the intern at the very last scene of the final episode.

I'm usually pretty good w/ spotting them, such as something weird being up with the intern, the captain being the one w/ the call girl (though anybody could've guessed that after La Guerta made the phone call when the case first was closed), but I missed the Gellar twist completely, so did my friends who watch the show. For that reason I don't think it was as obvious as you claim. I didn't see anyone commenting in here making such a guess either. I like that I missed it, because looking back at the previous episodes gives them new perspective now. You're pretty sharp catching the twist ahead of time, I really didn't see anyone, here or elsewhere, calling that twist ahead of time, so while it may have been obvious to you, I don't think it was that obvious, but I can understand why calling such a twist ahead of time could leave you ultimately disappointed.

That being said, I too am hoping for a bigger twist by season's end. I'm thinking they drop a bigger twist with the intern at the very last scene of the final episode.

I didn't think it was obvious, but the writers dropped enough clues. The scene that did it for me was when Hanks was in the coffee shop with "Geller" and the waitress stopped by the table and asked Hanks if he needed anything but didn't even bat an eyelash at Geller.

Damn, going back through this thread, I never did mention my theory here! You're right on that one. But I swear I called it by episode 3-4! :ols: In fact at the end of this episode (just watched it tonight) my girlfriend turned to me and was like "I can't believe you were right".

My guess is that Hanks ran upstairs, knocked out/killed the Atheist professor and hid him in another office knowing Dexter would assume Gellar was long gone, and then went and saved Dexter from the elevator that HE messed up. Then when Dexter left him at the motel, he left, went and gathered the body, and did his thing right there at the college, took the hand with him, left the message, blacked out or whatever in bed, and woke up. A fight club kinda thing. He's obviously insane, because in the previews for next week it shows him thinking that Gellar was still alive this whole time or something.

I didn't think it was obvious, but the writers dropped enough clues. The scene that did it for me was when Hanks was in the coffee shop with "Geller" and the waitress stopped by the table and asked Hanks if he needed anything but didn't even bat an eyelash at Geller.

good catch. That never even registered in my head. I just assumed his shooting a look at her scared her off.

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 10:12 PM ----------

Damn, going back through this thread, I never did mention my theory here! You're right on that one. But I swear I called it by episode 3-4! :ols: In fact at the end of this episode (just watched it tonight) my girlfriend turned to me and was like "I can't believe you were right".

My guess is that Hanks ran upstairs, knocked out/killed the Atheist professor and hid him in another office knowing Dexter would assume Gellar was long gone, and then went and saved Dexter from the elevator that HE messed up. Then when Dexter left him at the motel, he left, went and gathered the body, and did his thing right there at the college, took the hand with him, left the message, blacked out or whatever in bed, and woke up. A fight club kinda thing. He's obviously insane, because in the previews for next week it shows him thinking that Gellar was still alive this whole time or something.

Nice Fight Club comparison. Definitely the same thing going on here with Hanks. When he is Travis he doesn't even realize that he killed Gellar. I am interested in seeing Hanks play the Gellar role now. He didn't look too bad, going off the preview for next week's episode.

good catch. That never even registered in my head. I just assumed his shooting a look at her scared her off.

Haha see, those were the kind of things that REALLY stuck out to me as well, because I had already made a wild guess, and then spent every episode all season rationalizing how I was right. :ols:

For instance, when the "whore" they let go was talking about the two voices...she specifically said that the younger man kept calling her "the whore", and if you remember, Hanks wouldn't do that in front of her, it was always "The Professor". Hanks was too sympathetic to refer to her as that. So she heard Hanks say that, but it wasn't "him".

Another poster and myself called the twist earlier in this thread. I knew Geller wasn't really there in physical form helping with the killings. Geller is Hanks code of Harry. Hanks is the Sith of serial killers. Dexter is the Jedi. When the girl was telling the police that there were two people, it was because she was blind folded and Hanks is probably like Gollum from Lord of the Rings, where you have a split personality, one being the dominant personality and the other submissive.

The only loose end in the Fight Club theory is, as others have noted, the writers have paid far too much attention to the intern. I am convinced he is somehow connected to Hanks' character. Any theories?

Nah, they're setting that up for the future I bet. Which makes sense, it gets a little old bringing in a new character to be the "bad guy" every season, makes each season too self-contained. Whereas the first couple seasons, stuff like Doakes, abusive ex-husband (leading to NA and Lyla, etc.), and more was all set up believably from the first and second season. The DA (Miguel), Trinity, and then Lumen were all too neatly separated from season to season. Lundy was really the only constant, outside of Rita's death's consequences. Hell, LeGuerta and Dexter share this huge secret about the dead DA being a murderer that's never been brought up again. Not that there would be a reason to, but its like it never happened now. I'd like to see more flow from season to season. Even right now, its just popped on us that LaGuerta and Angel divorced off camera once they didn't "need" to be married any more. It would be nice to get more obvious cause-and-effect from season to season.

I hope they just slowly reveal things about the intern. He's obviously a wicked intelligent guy with varied interestsbordering on the weird/eclectic/creepy.

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 10:25 PM ----------

Another poster and myself called the twist earlier in this thread. I knew Geller wasn't really there in physical form helping with the killings. Geller is Hanks code of Harry. Hanks is the Sith of serial killers. Dexter is the Jedi. When the girl was telling the police that there was two people, it was because she was blind folded and Hanks is probably like Gollum from Lord of the Rings, where you have a split personality, one being the dominant personality and the other submissive.

Yeah, plus they constantly went out of their way to show Dexter's imaginary buddies "interacting" with the physical world, so that it all made sense with Olmos later.

I've actually been surprised with how low the focus has been on the new detective. I think he's done a good job with the little air time he's been given.

I've liked him. Seems pretty clear to me that he'll be the one to take an interest in Dexter next, he's already noted multiple times how good he is, and he's a new face who doesn't have the personal history with Dex preventing him from seeing him for what he really is.

I think they're bringing it on slow though, to avoid overly-obvious comparisons to Doakes. They ran into that a little bit with Quinn when he went Dexter crazy, and then didn't know where to go with it. They seem to be setting this guy up better to take that role. They need SOMEONE suspicious of him in the department, he's had free reign there for too long.

Nah, they're setting that up for the future I bet. Which makes sense, it gets a little old bringing in a new character to be the "bad guy" every season, makes each season too self-contained. Whereas the first couple seasons, stuff like Doakes, abusive ex-husband (leading to NA and Lyla, etc.), and more was all set up believably from the first and second season. The DA (Miguel), Trinity, and then Lumen were all too neatly separated from season to season. Lundy was really the only constant, outside of Rita's death's consequences. Hell, LeGuerta and Dexter share this huge secret about the dead DA being a murderer that's never been brought up again. Not that there would be a reason to, but its like it never happened now. I'd like to see more flow from season to season. Even right now, its just popped on us that LaGuerta and Angel divorced off camera once they didn't "need" to be married any more. It would be nice to get more obvious cause-and-effect from season to season.

The reason why I thought he might be linked to DDK is the writers have tended to wrap up loose ends each season.

The reason why I thought he might be linked to DDK is the writers have tended to wrap up loose ends each season.

Good call. I'm looking at it from the other side though--I think he isn't involved with DDK because I think they'll try to get away from the neat, wrapped up story-lines now that they know they've got two more seasons after this one to end it all. They can safely have multi-season arcs now.

Dexter has twice linked DDK's style of killings to his brother; the four horseman and the bowls of wrath. They showed the intern owning a piece of the ice truck killers evidence.

Maybe he is connected to Hanks but they let Hanks die at the end of the season but keep the intern alive, revealing who he is but no one knows yet.

I've liked him. Seems pretty clear to me that he'll be the one to take an interest in Dexter next, he's already noted multiple times how good he is, and he's a new face who doesn't have the personal history with Dex preventing him from seeing him for what he really is.

I think they're bringing it on slow though, to avoid overly-obvious comparisons to Doakes. They ran into that a little bit with Quinn when he went Dexter crazy, and then didn't know where to go with it. They seem to be setting this guy up better to take that role. They need SOMEONE suspicious of him in the department, he's had free reign there for too long.

That's a good point. I thought for sure he'd be the next love interest story line for Deb, and I'm so glad they've avoided it all together this season. I also think that in the Dexter-suspicious role that this new guy could do a better job than what Doakes had to offer; I never was a fan of his. I'm glad the writers have been smart enough to limit La Guerta's time, and I'm also glad that Batista has become better in his role, b/c he wasn't that good of an actor the first few seasons. Quinn I like though, and I did think Dexter bailing him out in trade for silence was a good way to nip that storyline in the bud, but leave it open for him to return back to it if the new guy pursues it later, plus he won't have Deb holding him back anymore, especially because she may have had some suspicions after almost catching Dex and Luna and the line she dropped at the end of last season, the way she emphasized it, and she may start to grow more suspicious of Dex now their relationship is strained and she is again realizing how closed off he is, though now she is focusing on herself and just accepting dexter for who he is, per the therapist's advice.

The therapist connecting the dots later on is a possibility as well. One thing I've liked most about this season, as I said earlier, is there are more storylines and larger focus on other characters.

I forgot about the four horsemen. Hmmmmmm.

That may be a hard link to establish. Nothing about the guy screams religious right now, although it isn't necessarily a requirement.

I've actually been wondering if, with all his tech savy and intelligence, that maybe he hasn't already figured out who Dexter is and wants to be like him.

That's a good point. I thought for sure he'd be the next love interest story line for Deb, and I'm so glad they've avoided it all together this season.

Can't agree with this one enough. She's been such a "jump the bones of anyone who shows interest in me" type girl the entire series, its good that she's getting some self-respect right around the time she gets into a position of authority. I like that she's slowly gaining the respect of the new detective who originally couldn't take her seriously.

I also think that in the Dexter-suspicious role that this new guy could do a better job than what Doakes had to offer; I never was a fan of his.

Another point I agree with. Doakes was almost too over the top. They tried to flesh him out, with the under-cover cops wife he was cheating with, and his friendship with LaGuerta/confrontation with the Spec Ops guy on the boat. But he just didn't have much range as an actor. He did over-the-top anger well, etc., but that's it. Which fit well with him being framed as the Bay Harbor Butcher.

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 10:54 PM ----------

That may be a hard link to establish. Nothing about the guy screams religious right now, although it isn't necessarily a requirement.

I've actually been wondering if, with all his tech savy and intelligence, that maybe he hasn't already figured out who Dexter is and wants to be like him.

He did have a bit of a "hero worship" thing going with Dexter at first, and he's got access to Dexter's apartment now.

Also, we know that he's not really interested in forensics in the slightest. So why would he worship Dexter for being so good at a job that isn't his dream or anything? He's "just doing research for a video game", apparently. Which leaves no reason for his obsession with Dexter.

He did have a bit of a "hero worship" thing going with Dexter at first, and he's got access to Dexter's apartment now.

Also, we know that he's not really interested in forensics in the slightest. So why would he worship Dexter for being so good at a job that isn't his dream or anything? He's "just doing research for a video game", apparently. Which leaves no reason for his obsession with Dexter.

Maybe he wants to design a serial killer game based on Dexter. Could be an interesting video game, lol.

seriously though, the Dexter worship and his line about not letting people into his apartment, and then how perfectly clean and ordered it was, and him having the ITK hand has me seriously considering him as trying to be a Dexter disciple.

Kind of a nutty Fight Club twist last night.

One thing is driving me crazy though....

Dexter comes into the church, Travis is unconcious, supposedly. So then he drags a dresser from ON TOP of a trapdoor, and enters it looking for Geller?

There is no way Geller could've went inside the trap door, and from inside of it, dragged a dresser on top.

This kind of insanity makes the whole thing kind of silly. Dexter is not so stupid as to not realize, that if Geller is in there, then Travis pushed the dresser on top, assuming Geller is alive.

Ugh....

Always liked Doakes. His nature really stood out from the rest of the cast. Classic Doakes right here

haha

I'll admit to having suspicion about Geller but not ever really knowing he was already dead until this episode. He just always seemed too elusive to be that old. In addition to him bleeding from the head one episode for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if this was already mentioned but Dexter decision to look in the cellar that had a table above it was also dumb. How could Geller climb down the hatch, close it, and move the table on top? C'mon Dex.....

We're thinking alike SpacePenguin. Little plot holes that irk the viewer

Edit #2 One more Doakes note. He actually ended up dying because he was THAT GOOD of a cop. Pretty ironic when you think about it.In a way I wish Doakes and Quinn would've switched places with Quinn dying off and Doakes coming in season 3. I'm just not a fan of Quinn for whatever reason. When he appears on screen he's like an extra to me

Always liked Doakes. His nature really stood out from the rest of the cast. Classic Doakes right here
haha

I'll admit to having suspicion about Geller but not ever really knowing he was already dead until this episode. He just always seemed too elusive to be that old. In addition to him bleeding from the head one episode for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if this was already mentioned but Dexter decision to look in the cellar that had a table above it was also dumb. How could Geller climb down the hatch, close it, and move the table on top? C'mon Dex.....

We're thinking alike SpacePenguin. Little plot holes that irk the viewer

I guess it's bound to happen when writers are forced to rachet up the tension of backing Dexter into a corner season after season.

Thinking of an alternative that ends up with Dexter chasing a dead man into the cellar, it'd have been pretty easy to have Travis barely concious enough to tell Dexter that Geller is downstairs.

Easy. How did this pass QC?

I'm just going to pretend that's what happened lol

Archived