Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Owners agree to players new deal..players still need to vote.

dreamshatterer

Which QB will put up the best stats?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB will put up the best stats?

• Whomever Mike/Kyle put under center (Beck, Grossman, QB to be named later)
    • Andy Dalton
    • Blaine Gabbert
    • Jake Locker
    • Cam Newton
    • Christian Ponder
    • Another rooke (explain)
    • I love lamp, like really love it

Man. I sure am glad I don't have some of you guys negotiating my contracts.

Look, I want football too, but just imagine making a verbal deal with someone...

... then they give you something to sign and you realize stuff you never agreed on is in there.

Would you sign off on it anyway?

Look, I want football too, but just imagine making a verbal deal with someone...

... then they give you something to sign and you realize stuff you never agreed on is in there.

I thought this was about the owners forcing the players to re-certify, not that the language changed.

The players are giving two completely different and unrelated excuses. They can't even get their own stance straight.

That's what the lawyers and people writing it are for. De Smith was part of the creation of it. He knew what was in it.

You and I can verbally agree to something but I'm still going to read what you send back to me to make sure nothing was changed. It's common sense. I'm want football too. I don't think it's unreasonable for the the players to read what owners voted on.

I don't know how good the chances of a deal look now after this stunt the owners allegedly pulled on the players.

I do know I want to fill in as a scab. Put me as a small RB.

I'm in for a weak-armed QB. I'll hit you in the flats all day long like Brunell, baby!

You and I can verbally agree to something but I'm still going to read what you send back to me to make sure nothing was changed. It's common sense. I'm want football too. I don't think it's unreasonable for the the players to read what owners voted on.

De Smith (and his team) was in on the writing of it. It's not like they were talking on the phone and a third party was writing it down. They were all there.

I thought this was about the owners forcing the players to re-certify, not that the language changed.

The players are giving two completely different and unrelated excuses. They can't even get their own stance straight.

I've been in a CBA negotiation before as a WGA member vs the Studios. Very different, but with some big similarities at the same time. Lots of the same lawyers using the exact same tactics. We agreed on certain points... then they presented us with a deal that was different. It was crazy.

In the end, we caved. So will the players. They're just fighting it as long as they can. Relax -- no games will be missed.

Man. I sure am glad I don't have some of you guys negotiating my contracts.

Hell, no I wouldn't sign it and most of these guys wouldn't either.

They just want football. :)

I've been in a CBA negotiation before as a WGA member vs the Studios. Very different, but not with some big similarities. Lots of the same lawyers using the exact same tactics. We agreed on certain points... then they presented us with a deal that was different. It was crazy.

In the end, we caved. So will the players. They're just fighting it as long as they can.

How did it turn out?

De Smith (and his team) was in on the writing of it. It's not like they were talking on the phone and a third party was writing it down. They were all there.

sisko_facepalm.gif

Okay, I'll try this again and then I'm giving up. When you negotiate a deal. You agree on the terms. Before signing the contract both parties read over it to make sure the terms are the same as those that were agreed upon. You don't blindly sign it and assume that things are fine.

How did it turn out?

We got a slightly less crappier deal than we would have had we not fought. It was pretty pathetic, actually. I hated every day of that strike. But the studios really gave us no choice but to fight.

But the players have way more leverage than we ever did.

Okay, I'll try this again and then I'm giving up. When you negotiate a deal. You agree on the terms. Before signing the contract both parties read over it to make sure the terms are the same as those that were agreed upon. You don't blindly sign it and assume that things are fine.

You don't think De Smith looked at it before it was sent to the owners? It's not like they changed it in secret at the owner's meeting.

sisko_facepalm.gif

Well then you also shouldn't blindly rail the owners and NFL about it like so many players reps have been doing. They can't get their excuses straight. Is it "we just want to read it"? That's fine, it's a 500 page cba, that's reasonable. But you got guys like Vonnie Holliday claiming they've been "tricked, duped, led astray, and hoodwinked"!! Give me a break, I'm so sick of the players playing coy.

So does this thing get done tomorrow?

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 11:34 PM ----------

:doh:

That's exactly why you double-check it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6791408/lockout-nfl-owners-approve-proposed-labor-agreement-players-expected-vote-friday

The NFLPA executive committee and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith saw the details approved by the NFL owners late Thursday night, and told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen they expect to have a player vote Friday.
Shortly after results of the owners' vote was announced, Smith told ESPN that team representatives would examine the agreement. A major issue is how to start the voting process for the 1,900 players who have to decide if they want to vote in a recertified union.

A high-ranking NFLPA executive committee member told Mortensen that the owners' approval "puts the onus on players to make a decision to agree -- paints us into a corner with fans. We'll discuss tonight but the idea of reconstituting as a union has never been a slam dunk as the owners have already assumed."

So apparently now it's not even an issue about the stuff the owners "added" :doh:

Anyone want to argue the owners added stuff anymore?

I agree 100%. Never even thought the owners were being shady.

I have my doubts about the owners "adding" language to the final deal. No one is getting into specifics of what was added and everyone I've heard has avoided the question when it's asked.

I do think though that they are pissed off that the league rushed this thing to a vote and is forcing their hand to re-certification. At least in the court of public opinion, it has put the burden on the players, making it look like they are the ones holding up a deal. I can't say I really blame the players for that and agree that this feels like a public relations move by the owners.

I agree 100%. Never even thought the owners were being shady.

Not only that- it has been known for a week at least that the owners were going to meet today, and that they were going to vote on the CBA.

So I cant believe that the players did not expect this kind of results.

I can understand if they need some time to digest the 500 pages, but lets not jump out there and accuse the owners of "painting them in a corner" or being hoodwinked,

when they knew the owners were going to meet today and vote.

But since there are so many conflicting reports, I guess we can hope they vote tommorow and the majority votes to accept it.

Not only that- it has been known for a week at least that the owners were going to meet today, and that they were going to vote on the CBA.

So I cant believe that the players did not expect this kind of results.

I can understand if they need some time to digest the 500 pages, but lets not jump out there and accuse the owners of "painting them in a corner" or being hoodwinked,

when they knew the owners were going to meet today and vote.

But since there are so many conflicting reports, I guess we can hope they vote tommorow and the majority votes to accept it.

:fingersx:

Archived