Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WSJ:No Kids Allowed: A Restaurant Bans Young Diners

DieselPwr44

Why is that today when people don't like something, they think that thing needs to go? If you don't like the idea of not being able to bring your kids to that place, then just don't go.

Same with parents who complain about violent video games. Then don't buy them for your kids.

People who complain about hip-hop music, then don't listen to it.

I can't stand the Jersey Shore, so what do I do, I just don't watch it.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean other don't. Why ruin it for others? People feel so entitiled to things today it just doesn't make sense to me.

Nothing wrong with being selfish(if you leave out religion)...it is how far a individual takes it and it's effects on others that matters.

a restaurant banning kids or allowing smoking is in no way comparable as far as effect

See that a is problem saying an immediate effect from a selfish act is bad but a long drawn out act is okay.

See what creates the need for this sort of rule is two fold when it comes to a selfish nature, on the one hand those who do not want to be around kids and secondly in some case the actions of children and parents who believe they have the right to behave anyway this wish in any setting.

The current financial crisis is an example of the problem of selfishness also and seeing both short and long term effects from such actions

Some people pay a premium for exclusivity. Money is often secondary to comfort and an exclusive setting. Small example, paying for a VIP table or seat at a nightclub/bar/restaurant, pool,plane, train, or theater.

Yes, hence my use of the phrase "majority of restaurants," rather than "all restaurants."

I think it's a mistake to lump all types of exclusivity together, because the desire to expressly avoid kids is different in terms of motivation and cost from the desire to expressly avoid everyone. Nightclubs and bars are already off-limits to kids by law in most places in the US anyway. (Again, note "most.")

Strict no-kids policy in a restaurant = niche business model.

Actually, I suspect that's more of an economic move. Kiddie meals are cheaper.

I have seen many now advertising kids eat free espicially on weeknights

---------- Post added July-18th-2011 at 12:16 PM ----------

I went to a sushi joint the other day and to my dismay they wouldn't serve the hamburger I ordered.

That needs to change. How dare they not cater to me, as an individual?

Did they have a rule that prevented you from going in because if they did that would be comparable

Why is that today when people don't like something, they think that thing needs to go? If you don't like the idea of not being able to bring your kids to that place, then just don't go.

Same with parents who complain about violent video games. Then don't buy them for your kids.

People who complain about hip-hop music, then don't listen to it.

I can't stand the Jersey Shore, so what do I do, I just don't watch it.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean other don't. Why ruin it for others? People feel so entitiled to things today it just doesn't make sense to me.

Well, where's the fun in that?

Did they have a rule that prevented you from going in because if they did that would be comparable

Wrong. I deserve everything I want, no matter where I go. If I want my 2 year old in there screaming and yelling, that's fine. The establishment has no right to deny anyone service. None.

That burger was my God given right. And it was denied.

Unacceptable. Furthermore, I wanted them to make me a nice Italian pasta dish, they told me to stop ordering stuff not on their menu or they'd ask me to leave. Racism. Offensive. Non sense. They have no right, whatsoever, to not cater to my every demand!

Wrong. I deserve everything I want, no matter where I go. If I want my 2 year old in there screaming and yelling, that's fine. The establishment has no right to deny anyone service. None.

That burger was my God given right. And it was denied.

Unacceptable. Furthermore, I wanted them to make me a nice Italian pasta dish, they told me to stop ordering stuff not on their menu or they'd ask me to leave. Racism. Offensive. Non sense. They have no right, whatsoever, to not cater to my every demand!

Again you seem to be missing balance on this

You bring a child in no problem

You bring a child in and it runs around ruining the experience for others and you refuse to do anything that is the problem

There are a number of ways for a place to keep children out without making a rule, price product being served

Now is anyone actually suing over this or are you just acting out some sort or issue you have?

Oh and in future if you wish to claim something as a God give right please quote the recognized the holy writing in doing so

2. The reason smoking indoors is outlawed is because it is a public health risk. Bratty children not being paid proper attention by their parents are not a public health risk, just an annoyance.

You know, I can think of a really good way to avoid any potential risk to your health that could come from eating lots of your meals at restaurants that allow smoking....

It is not about silence.It is about the screaming, throwing stuff, crying and children that are climbing all over the place that are annoying.

Really..??? get your kid under control. Teach them to understand rules and environments.

The rest of us try to be patient. But...

i'm sorry,b ut i've seen so many parent just not give a **** about the behavior of their kids...

i was at the outside dining area at rio grande in woodbridge and two kids thought it would be funny to go this area and put on a dancing show the the glass wall for their parnets and family that were inside to watch. while they were doing it they were squeezing in and around tables, running back and forth, opening and closing the door.

their parents inside were every once in awhile looking and laughing not giving a rats ass about us.

Disagree. You can't bring a child into this restaurant.

You bring a child in and it runs around ruining the experience for others and you refuse to do anything that is the problem

Or you can avoid that and just not allow them in.

There are a number of ways for a place to keep children out without making a rule, price product being served

Or just make a rule. Oh, wait, that doesn't cater to what YOU want. How dare they?

Now is anyone actually suing over this or are you just acting out some sort or issue you have?

Who said anything about suing? And yes, I have issues with people who think everything has to be their way. Newsflash, it doesn't.

Oh and in future if you wish to claim something as a God give right please quote the recognized the holy writing in doing so

It's my right to not have to do so.

Again you seem to be missing balance on this

And the restaurant owners are dealing with the reality that the second situation happens all to frequently, and the only way to provide the experience they want to offer consistently is to ban kids.

Some restaurants refuse to take large groups. That's OK too. It's not the market segment they are trying to serve.

Il Paradiso in Franconia went the opposite route. They provide a separate area of the restaurant especially for kids. It's got small tables and chairs, toys, a TV showing kids videos... Waiters/babysitters serve the children while the parents dine in peace.

You know, I can think of a really good way to avoid any potential risk to your health that could come from eating lots of your meals at restaurants that allow smoking....

the argument is usually that the workers are the people that are subjected to second hand smoke

my reply is usually something along the lines "I don't give a ****, work somewhere else, there are more than enough food service workers who have no problem smoking"

although "Public" Health is one of those euphemisms for abrogating personal responsibility and rights issues and replacing them with a purely economic cost analysis.

Disagree. You can't bring a child into this restaurant.

Or you can avoid that and just not allow them in.

Or just make a rule. Oh, wait, that doesn't cater to what YOU want. How dare they?

Who said anything about suing? And yes, I have issues with people who think everything has to be their way. Newsflash, it doesn't.

It's my right to not have to do so.

Would be interesting if a young person decided to bring about an ageism suit in regards to this

It is your right to to not do a lot of things when asked but hey if acting like the children you are complaining about is you thing that maybe the treatment should be the same

---------- Post added July-18th-2011 at 12:38 PM ----------

the argument is usually that the workers are the people that are subjected to second hand smoke

my reply is usually something along the lines "I don't give a ****, work somewhere else, there are more than enough food service workers who have no problem smoking"

Except there are laws on having a safe work enviroment

Would be interesting if a young person decided to bring about an ageism suit in regards to this

Yes. Then I could sue for sushi joints not selling hamburgers.

It is your right to to not do a lot of things when asked but hey if acting like the children you are complaining about is you thing that maybe the treatment should be the same

I'm not complaining about children. I personally love kids.

Others don't. And if a private business chooses that they don't want kids in their restaurant, it is their right to do so. Acting like they can't is ridiculous. And people getting emotional to the point where they fight to go into a place they aren't welcome is absurd.

True story: I wore an Under Armor hat out one night and tried to get into a bar I usually don't frequent. They told me that their dress code is that I can't enter with a hat, so I gladly took it off. They then told me I can't enter with it in my possession, so I left and didn't go back. No skin off my back.

True story: I wore an Under Armor hat out one night and tried to get into a bar I usually don't frequent. They told me that their dress code is that I can't enter with a hat, so I gladly took it off. They then told me I can't enter with it in my possession, so I left and didn't go back. No skin off my back.

You probably would have taken offense if they told you they didn't admit short ugly people unless they were really wealthy.

Il Paradiso in Franconia went the opposite route. They provide a separate area of the restaurant especially for kids. It's got small tables and chairs, toys, a TV showing kids videos... Waiters/babysitters serve the children while the parents dine in peace.

Is that place any good?

I've passed it a thousand times and always wondered.

Others don't. And if a private business chooses that they don't want kids in their restaurant, it is their right to do so. Acting like they can't is ridiculous. And people getting emotional to the point where they fight to go into a place they aren't welcome is absurd.

Exactly. If these people want the restaurant to suffer, then stop going there. If the guy starts losing money then he might change his ways. But instead, people have to ***** and complain about something.

You probably would have taken offense if they told you they didn't admit short ugly people unless they were really wealthy.

Nah.

Because I am short. And ugly. And not wealthy. Damnit.

Actually, I was slightly annoyed, but really, why bother trying to get into a place that didn't want me there? If I'm not welcome, fine. Annoying? Sure. I had friends in there. Can I fault them for holding their place to a standard? No. I don't agree with it, but I don't have to. It's not my business.

Is that place any good?

I've passed it a thousand times and always wondered.

It was okay. We ate there once or twice and never felt compelled to hurry back. The separate room for the kiddies was a nice feature though for any harried parents that needed a break.

No you could not sine there is no law that states they have to and depending on how this place is set up a suit may not work either

But at the end of the day depending how they opertate they are not private but rather a public business and subject to the rules therein

Archived