Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UTSC: Trees “remember” where they come from

China

Trees “remember” where they come from

Genetically identical trees respond differently to their environment depending on what part of the country they come from. The surprising finding could have implications for gardeners and foresters, and might help predict how forests will respond to climate change.

“The findings were really quite stunning,” says Malcolm Campbell, professor of cell and systems biology and vice principal, research at University of Toronto Scarborough. “Our results show that there is a form of molecular ‘memory’ in trees where a tree’s previous personal experience influences how it responds to the environment.”

Campbell and his colleagues were interested in something called the “nursery effect,” which had long been noted by foresters and gardeners. Although many plants are genetically identical clones, it seemed that plants from different nurseries often grew differently in identical environments.

Campbell’s group showed that the differences were at the fundamental level of gene activation. Identical plants from different parts of the country activated different sets of genes when exposed to drought.

Click on the link for the full article

Plants are more "intelligent" than we give them credit for. In 50 years people will be talking about whether it is "humane" to chop down trees (not main stream people, but some people).

Already do. I don't think I would cut down a perfectly healthy tree, unless I really needed to.

These findings aren't that surprising. Earth isn't so different than Pandora.

50 years? There's people doing that

now.

I did a search for cutting down trees and inhumane. I didn't fine any links that look relevant. I'd be curious if you actually know somebody that does this.

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 02:27 PM ----------

Already do. I don't think I would cut down a perfectly healthy tree, unless I really needed to.

These findings aren't that surprising. Earth isn't so different than Pandora.

Okay, somebody other than Koolblue, who is clearly a head of his time.

Christmas Tree farms already make me sick. Those beautiful evergreens, some of them extremely slow growing, chopped down so the kids can open presents. Then, thrown away on the curb.

Buy a fake tree. Thanks in advance.

Would have been great if the one that fell and crushed my fence last week would have remembered that it should have fallen the other way.

~Bang

Maybe the tree had empathy for you and knew that insurance would only cover it if it hit a structure. They are almost human!

Christmas Tree farms already make me sick. Those beautiful evergreens, some of them extremely slow growing, chopped down so the kids can open presents. Then, thrown away on the curb.

Thank you. I recommend this one:

41-kDbaxFBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dead serious. This is the one we used last Christmass, for my daughters 1st Christmas. Set it up on the coffee table in the living room, no need to disrupt the entire house to put up a tree. The season is about family, not material possessions. She will learn that.

I did a search for cutting down trees and inhumane. I didn't fine any links that look relevant. I'd be curious if you actually know somebody that does this.

I don't know of anyone personally but I've seen a crazy on tv going on about it, but I doubt there is a movement afoot. I've also seen on TV a guy who is deathly afraid when he sees an El Camino drive by so he freaks out, so maybe it is just an individual thing.

Fake trees make me sick. I enjoy the look, feel, and smell of an evergreen. PVC, not so much.

What do you think happens to the fake tree? Does it not get "thrown to the curb" eventually as well? At least a real tree biodegrades. You can burn it in the fire place or turn it into mulch. Christmas tree farms are for sole purpose of growing Christmas trees, so it's not like you're depleting a forest.

Fake trees make me sick. I enjoy the look, feel, and smell of an evergreen. PVC, not so much.

What do you think happens to the fake tree? Does it not get "thrown to the curb" eventually as well? At least a real tree biodegrades. You can burn it in the fire place or turn it into mulch. Christmas tree farms are for sole purpose of growing Christmas trees, so it's not like you're depleting a forest.

I don't like the idea of chopping down a tree for the sole purpose of sticking it in your room for a few weeks, I don't care if it was grown for that purpose or not. You're still taxing the soil and wasting an incredible amount of resources. I do like the idea of the christmas trees with a root-ball that can be replanted, though they often die too.

Some evergreens like spruce trees only grow a few inches a year. When you chop down just a 6 foot tree ask yourself how old it was.

We've had the same fake tree in our house since 2001. I suspect we'll get a few more seasons out of it.

And if you like the smell of evergreen, light a scented candle for chrissakes

I don't like the idea of chopping down a tree for the sole purpose of sticking it in your room for a few weeks, I don't care if it was grown for that purpose or not. You're still taxing the soil and wasting an incredible amount of resources. I do like the idea of the christmas trees with a root-ball that can be replanted, though they often die too.

Some evergreens like spruce trees only grow a few inches a year. When you chop down just a 6 foot tree ask yourself how old it was.

We've had the same fake tree in our house since 2001. I suspect we'll get a few more seasons out of it.

And if you like the smell of evergreen, light a scented candle for chrissakes

I don’t like the idea of fabricating something out of chemicals that are very difficult to dispose of and generally not recyclable, when I can obtain it naturally. A real tree can absorb carbon dioxide and emit oxygen. A fake tree can contain lead. Tough call!

…and the age of the tree matters because? When you finally do throw away your plastic imitation, ask yourself how many years it’s going to sit in a landfill before it decomposes.

Agree on the root-ball trees. If you get one of any decent size, they are HEAVY!

I don’t like the idea of fabricating something out of chemicals that are very difficult to dispose of and generally not recyclable, when I can obtain it naturally. A real tree can absorb carbon dioxide and emit oxygen. A fake tree can contain lead. Tough call!

That's a fair point. I guess the right thing to do is have nothing. I just get sick every November passing all the Christmas Tree farms where a bunch of beautiful trees have been killed for no real reason.

I'm not advocating it be outlawed, just expressing my preference.

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 03:38 PM ----------

How are Christmas trees different that other agricultural crops, other than they aren't harvested at the end of one season?

For me it revolves around their use. They're not providing sustenance or any value whatsoever, other than 10-20 years of growth followed by 2 weeks of decoration, then into the landfill.

Archived