Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

Terps play a tough Alabama team tomorrow night. Could be ugly but it will be a great learning experience for the young guys.

But the real news of the day, Terps open up their season next year against Kentucky in Brooklyn! First game ever played in the new arena, from what I've heard.

Terps play a tough Alabama team tomorrow night. Could be ugly but it will be a great learning experience for the young guys.

Tomorrow is the type of game that this team needs to win in order to make the tournament. A potential early season resume builder. I am not expecting big things from the team this year, but I don't think making the tournament is a foregone conclusion.

From what I heard both Padgett and Pankey looked good on Sunday, which gives me hope that our big men won't be such a huge issue this year. Padgett in particular seemed to be loving Turgeon's system. I can't wait until Howard and Len are able to play.

:)

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=8301

Mark Turgeon's Three-Man Press

This trio of Terps assistants stands ready to upgrade the talent level at College Park, by working harder and smarter

Presidents have their cabinets. CEOs have their financial advisers. Chefs have their line cooks.

Alongside every leader is a group of invaluable seconds who work tirelessly beneath the periphery in deference to the head honcho. They are the stabilizers, the steadfast supporters, the backbone.

In the cutthroat world of Division I men's college basketball, those reliable seconds are charged with replenishing constantly depleted rosters. They are recruiters -- pseudo-GMs who sift through thousands and thousands of high school "free agents" in search of the proverbial "right fit."

At Maryland, Dalonte Hill, Bino Ranson and Scott Spinelli, the three Brooks Brothers-clad assistants, will be joining new head coach Mark Turgeon on the Comcast Center floor this winter. It is these three, along with Turgeon, who will supposedly lead the University of Maryland out of the recruiting dark ages.

The expectations are undeniably high, and Turgeon has said nothing to diminish those expectations.

Fwiw.....:(

http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/11/17/2569664/fb-recruiting

Mike Farrell says: "The Maryland situation is getting uglier as each loss mounts. The Terps are now 2-8 overall with the only wins coming against a depleted Miami team in the opener and Towson. They have had five straight double-digit losses heading into this weekend. However, more alarming is the number of top in-state recruits that are silently eliminating the Terps. This week multiple sources told me that both Wes Brown and Cyrus Jones have eliminated the Terps and that Stefon Diggs and Eddie Goldman keep the Terps on their list simply out of respect for the home team. However, Maryland is once again a player for five-star defensive end Noah Spence and could pull the huge upset there, especially if Spence really wants to stay home. But a whiff on Spence and the rest, Good Counsel's Mike Madaris will be the only four-star or higher in the class."

Meh, you can make a great living with the right 3 star guys. The thing killing MD football this year is expectation. They are a young team that has suffered an incredible amount of injuries. This was a .500 team at best.

---------- Post added November-21st-2011 at 02:47 PM ----------

Kevin Anderson has the potential of being know as the man who killed Maryland Athletics.

Ok, maybe not killed. But made them even more irrelevant that ever.

Anderson is the guy who made the tough decisions. How many ADs a major colleges are faced with the task of hiring coaches for rebuilding football and basketball teams in the same year. The programs were stagnant.

Kevin Anderson has the potential of being know as the man who killed Maryland Athletics.

Ok, maybe not killed. But made them even more irrelevant that ever.

I think you should probably give any coach more than one season, let alone 4 games for Turgeon, before you start calling it a bad hire. I'm especially referring to Turgeon who I think will be terrific with the Terps.

I think you should probably give any coach more than one season, let alone 4 games for Turgeon, before you start calling it a bad hire. I'm especially referring to Turgeon who I think will be terrific with the Terps.

They are cutting 8 programs this year. I bet none of them are female teams either... Stupid title 9. Should cut the ones loosing the most money.

It's a real shame an institution known for decent football and basketball has slid so far. I'll give Turgeon more leniency but my feelings on Edsall are well-known and I don't need to reiterate them again.

Keep in mind both predecessors did a good job before being forced out of their occupations (allegedly)

We'll see how he recruits right now. Its not secret that Gary left the program pretty bare. Its weird, I feel like maybe Gary should have been nudged towards retirement, and Fridge given more time. Hoops is going to be bad this year, Football has been awful. I'm not even answering when the Terrapin Club calls. Its just depressing.

We'll see how he recruits right now. Its not secret that Gary left the program pretty bare. Its weird, I feel like maybe Gary should have been nudged towards retirement, and Fridge given more time. Hoops is going to be bad this year, Football has been awful. I'm not even answering when the Terrapin Club calls. Its just depressing.
The football roster was just as bare. Does anyone actually think that the Terps were going to start 5 seniors and be any good this year? The influential alumni hated the Edsall pick, so he gets no break. This was not going to be a good team with Fridge or anyone else.

The football roster was just as bare. Does anyone actually think that the Terps were going to start 5 seniors and be any good this year? The influential alumni hated the Edsall pick, so he gets no break. This was not going to be a good team with Fridge or anyone else.

You don't feel there were a few games where at the end you thought "Ralph would have won that game"? I'm not saying they would be 9 wins ago, or even 6 wins. But more than 2 for sure.

Archived