Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

Edsall's approach is much more tailored for the pro game than college. He at least has contracts and money to bind players. At the college level' date=' there are suspensions, but players can leave for greener pastures (as has happened).[/quote']

I highly doubt a grown man with millions in his bank account is going to respect, let alone listen to, a hard edge coach coming off a 2-10 season in college ball.

I hope for MD football's sake that he gets the job though.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/16532747/good-n-plenty-no-love-for-hoyas-this-redhot-jackrabbit

Don't count Terps out

Mark Turgeon is on the verge of doing something no other coach in America will do. He'll add two starters in the next 10 days.

Maryland's coach said that point guard Pe'Shon Howard will return Friday against Radford -- and that 7-foot-1 import Alex Len becomes eligible on Dec. 28.

Turgeon said that Howard, a projected starter who will allow Terrell Stoglin to slide over and play off the ball for much of the time, has practiced well thus far. "What a difference he makes," Turgeon admitted. "He's a point guard and also gives us depth. Right now it's hard to pull guys when they make mistakes."

Len will miss the Radford game before making his college debut against Albany. While somewhat of a mystery man, Len has been practicing with the first team in an effort to improve -- and could start from Day 1 for the Terps.

"He has really good hands, is every bit of 7-1 and is long," Turgeon said. "He's got a nice touch and a good feel for the game -- and he's gotten a lot tougher."

He'll also have three games under his belt before ACC play gets under way.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/high_school/index.php/2011/12/20/abner-logan-jr-gives-a-verbal-commitment-to-maryland/

Abner Logan Jr. gives a verbal commitment to Maryland

Dexter School star linebacker Abner Logan Jr. has verbally committed to Maryland, according to his coach, Casey Day.

One of the top outside linebackers in New England, the 6-foot-2, 220-pounder recorded 42 tackles and 10 sacks. He also picked off a pair of passes, returning one for a touchdown.

“Abner really felt comfortable with Maryland, he has family there and they have a great business program, which is something Abner wants to major in,” Day said. “Keith Dudzinski (linebacker coach at Maryland) did a great job of recruiting him and (head coach) Randy Edsall got UConn into a BCS Bowl game, so that carries some cache.”

Logan had received offers from BC, UConn, Florida International, UMass, NC State, Syracuse, Maryland and Towson. In a recent Boston Herald article, Logan told Herald reporter Bruce Lerch that Maryland and NC State were among the favorites for his service.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-maryland-football-ron-vanderlinden-not-interested-in-terps-defensive-coordinator-job-20111224,0,7067744.story?track=rss

Vanderlinden not interested in Terps' defensive coordinator job

Penn State assistant Ron Vanderlinden says he won't be coming back to College Park as Maryland's new defensive coordinator.

Days after one of his former assistants returned as the team's new offensive coordinator, Vanderlinden wrote to The Baltimore Sun in an email this morning, "I am not a candidate nor am I interested in returning to Maryland as the defensive coordinator. Hopefully, that will clear things up."

Contrary to some reports, Vanderlinden said he hasn't been contacted by Maryland.

Albany coach discusses Alex Len.

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122811aac.html

On Alex Len:

"We knew nothing about Len. You can Google him and see all the nice things that Fran Fraschilla says about him. And then 20 minutes before the game, I guess Scott Spinelli tells my assistant that Larry Brown was at practice the other day and said the kid's going to be a lottery pick. That's the last thing you want to hear about the opposing team when you know nothing about him and you're about to take the court. He was like the great unknown for us, and we pride ourselves on our scout and we just didn't know anything about him. As soon as he took warmups, I saw right away he shot a 3,and I was like, `I hope this kid is just a finesse kid and will hang out on the perimeter.' And he's not. He's not strong right now, but he's long, he's agile and he's skilled. He's going to be a good one. I'd have him live with the strength coach, give that strength coach a raise, but that kid's going to be good. He might be a lottery pick one day with his frame and skill."

http://www.testudotimes.com/2012/1/4/2682573/2012-maryland-terrapins-football-recruting-zach-dancel-levern-jacobs-mike-locksley-wes-brown

That Was Fast: Maryland Picks Up New Mexico Transfer Zach Dancel, Former Marshall Commit Levern Jacobs

Good timing with that initial post, no? Today's the first day of the open recruiting period, and Mike Locksley already has brought two guys into the program.

First was Zach Dancel, who tweeted his transfer earlier today. Dancel is a former 2011 prospect who went to Good Counsel and committed to New Mexico, largely thanks to the Locksley connection. He played in nine games in his true freshman season at UNM as a safety, and made 32 tackles, which is a pretty good mark all things considered. He'll have to sit out a year per N.C.A.A. transfer rules, but after that he should be a fairly substantial contributor at safety for his remaining three seasons in the program.

He also brings a few other nice things with him: he's the son of Bernie Dancel, who "bankrolled" the Good Counsel football team. That's not a bad friend to have. He's also very close with Wes Brown, who actually lives with the Dancel family. Brown is a four-star running back and one of the big local elites that Maryland is going after hard in the waning days of the recruiting cycle, and he'll announce his college decision during tomorrow night's Under Armour All-American Game.

Just hours later, news hit that Maryland also picked up a commitment from former Suitland wide receiver Levern Jacobs. Jacobs was also originally a 2011 recruit and committed to Marshall, but ended up prepping at Milford Academy in New Berlin, N.Y. He's #20 on Rivals' top 30 prep recruits, ahead of guys headed to Iowa, Virginia, and Pitt.

Jacobs is a three-star on Rivals, and in 2011 was a three-star on ESPN (78, which would've tied him for the fifth-most highly-regarded recruit for Maryland in that class). He also has a brother in the 2013 recruiting class, also a Suitland wide receiver Taivon Jacobs; there were some rumors that Jacobs had committed to Maryland a few months ago, though that turned out to be incorrect. The younger Jacobs has offers from both the Terps and UNC and is a straight-up burner who can supposedly run sub-4.4s already. This also looks a bit like a potential package deal.

---------- Post added January-6th-2012 at 01:52 AM ----------

https://twitter.com/#!/DaveHookerESPN

DaveHookerESPN Dave Hooker. ESPN

Wes brown to #terps. Could Goldman and Diggs be next? I'm beginning to think it could happen.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/recruiting-blog/bal-insidemdsports-terps-moving-up-with-prized-wide-receiver-dvario-montgomery-20111124,0,6203214.story

Terps moving up with prized receiver

Among the problems ailing this year’s Maryland football team has been a lack of playmaking at the wide receiver position. The Terps staff has been spanning the country in search of potential impact receivers, including one highly touted Floridian who recently visited College Park and is planning a return trip.

D’vario Montgomery, a 6-3, 210-pound senior from Winter Park, Fla., visited Maryland a couple of weeks ago and is seriously considering the Terps.

“It was good. The only thing that I didn’t like was the weather. I like coach [Randy] Edsall, Coach Ryan [steinberg] and coach [Andre] Powell. They all treated me like family,” he said. “It all was good.”

Montgomery, a four-star prospect rated a 90 and the No. 40 wideout in the country, claims an impressive offer list that includes Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida and Miami. But it’s another trip currently leading the pack.

“Maryland is in my top three with South Florida and Louisville,” said Montgomery, a Louisiana native and dynamic big receiver.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/recruiting-insider/post/zach-dancel-talks-about-transferring-to-maryland-hints-that-others-might-follow/2012/01/06/gIQAiWGkfP_blog.html

Zach Dancel talks about transferring to Maryland, hints that others might follow

Don’t be surprised if safety Zach Dancel isn’t the only New Mexico player to transfer to Maryland after former Lobos Coach Mike Locksley joined the Terrapins’ coaching staff.

That’s what Dancel said, though he declined to name names.

“Of course there are a couple guys at New Mexico who are interested, who have their release,” said Dancel, who started the final seven games this past season as a freshman. “I’m sure they’re considering it. A lot of guys are good players and they’re going to have other options. … And high school guys around here, being a former player, I know a lot of the seniors who are looking around. I’ve been in contact with a couple of them about Maryland. Locks is going to get players in there and Maryland is going to be up and coming and could potentially be a good team in the next year or two.”

Former Rockville All-Met running back Crusoe Gongbay and former Northwestern wide receiver Daniel Adams could be among the candidates to transfer back to Maryland. Both players are freshman who would have to sit out one season but have three seasons of eligibility remaining.

Dancel said that while it was a turbulent season and beginning to the offseason at Maryland, with many players transferring, he had no concerns about the situation in College Park. He said he was considering Maryland and Virginia at first, but adding Locksley to the mix at Maryland made it an easy decision.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/recruiting-insider/post/hd-woodson-all-met-kenny-crawley-de-commits-from-tennessee-considering-auburn-georgia-maryland-michigan-others/2012/01/06/gIQAHu8QfP_blog.html?wprss=recruiting-insider

H.D. Woodson All-Met Kenny Crawley de-commits from Tennessee; considering Auburn, Georgia, Maryland, Michigan, others

Weeks after starting to waver in his commitment to Tennessee, H.D. Woodson senior All-Met defensive back Kenny Crawley decided this week that he no longer wanted to attend the school and re-opened his recruitment on Thursday, according to his high school assistant coach, Wayne Johnson.

Once Johnson, who handles the recruitment of H.D. Woodson players, told Tennessee of Crawley’s plans, an assistant coach was in Washington the next day to make a final appeal. But, according to Johnson, Crawley felt he had committed too early in August and wasn’t pleased with what he had read about Tennessee Coach Derek Dooley initially refusing the release of a current Tennessee player seeking a transfer to be near his ailing father in Michigan.

“[Crawley] seen the writing on the wall,” Johnson said.

Maryland has re-entered Crawley’s options with the recent hiring of Mike Locksley, a Ballou graduate with strong ties to area high school coaches, as offensive coordinator.

“It’s really important,” Johnson said of Locksley’s impact. “He got a relationship with these guys, he’s truthful and he’s straight up. He knows his business with his players and the kids like him.”

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 05:24 PM ----------

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/maryland-womens-basketball-rallies-past-georgia-tech-to-stretch-winning-streak-to-15/2012/01/06/gIQAIUaAgP_story.html

Maryland women’s basketball rallies past Georgia Tech to stretch winning streak to 15

The fifth-ranked Maryland women’s basketball team scored its most dramatic win this season, rallying from a 20-point deficit and getting a three-point play from sophomore forward Alyssa Thomas with 17 seconds left to claim the lead for good in an improbable 77-74 victory over Georgia Tech on Friday night.

Maryland extended its winning streak to 15 to start the season thanks to a game-high 24 points from Thomas, who had 18 in the second half. Her decisive jumper in the lane gave Maryland a one-point margin, and her ensuing free throw made it 76-74. She shot 7 of 14 and added 11 rebounds to match a game high in front of 3,864 at Comcast Center

Archived