Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

Something doesn't add up with these recruiters that walk onto the scene and kids are flying to CP to play... If these recruiters are so great, why not have them around when Fridge and Gary were here?

Were Gary and Ralph so much the control freak type or are these recruiters shady? Something?

Something doesn't add up with these recruiters that walk onto the scene and kids are flying to CP to play... If these recruiters are so great, why not have them around when Fridge and Gary were here?

Were Gary and Ralph so much the control freak type or are these recruiters shady? Something?

Mike Locksley served under Ralph for a few years....and then he went to Florida, Illinois etc.

And now he's back. :)

And as for Gary, he had Bino Ranson....who is one of the better recruiters in the Baltimore area.

The problem wasn't with the assistants imo. It was with Gary and Ralph themselves.

From what I've heard, they weren't that enthusiastic when it came to recruiting.

This is from ESPN insider.

Maryland seems to be coming out of its shell.

A 2-10 record isn't keeping the Terrapins from making a strong recruiting push. During the Under Armour All-America Game last week, they landed three-star tailback Wes Brown from Olney (Md.) Good Counsel, but there could be much more going on behind the scenes with some nearby prospects.

There has been recent chatter that the Terps are in good position to land five-star defensive tackle Eddie Goldman from Washington (D.C.) Friendship and four-star athlete Stefon Diggs, Brown's teammate.

Brown has said emphatically that he wouldn't help the Terps recruit other prospects, but his decision on its own could have enough of an impact, especially since it came on a nationwide telecast.

The next nearby domino that could fall is be four-stat athlete Albert Reid, Goldman's teammate.

Friendship head coach Aaazaar Abdul-Rahim said Reid won't take any more official visits and is almost ready to announce his college decision. Once a West Virginia commitment, Reid is now primarily considering Maryland, Vanderbilt and Iowa.

A source close to his recruitment said Maryland is in “good shape” with Reid, who could play tailback or defensive back in college.

Diggs is primarily considering Maryland, Florida, California, Auburn and Virginia. He has recently been in contact with Maryland coaches.

Goldman is a bit more of mystery. He didn't immediately name Maryland last week when asked what schools he was primarily considering, but then he said there was good reason to choose the Terps, namely to be closer to his mother so she could more easily see him play.

Also, Maryland's early evaluation and subsequent scholarship offer to Mike Madaras from Good Counsel has proved to be well founded. The four-star prospect locked down the starting left tackle spot for his team in the Under Armour All-America Game.

Maryland has 22 commitments but, with only two four-star commitments, could use some more star power. Reid, Diggs and Goldman would certainly provide a boost. Diggs and Goldman are expected to announce their decision on national signing day on Feb. 1.

---------- Post added January-9th-2012 at 03:02 PM ----------

5-star CB/RB Ron Darby has decommited from Notre Dame.

Darby is being HEAVILY pursued by MD (among others).

He's local (Potomac HS, Oxon Hill, MD) and is one of the fastest players in the country.

Work your magic Mr. Locksley. :)

Tough loss for MD but they are a solid team

Nice to see a team that can actually win while representing the Terrapin brand

Football may be awful but Basketball has always played hard, whether under Gary, Lefty, or Turgeon

Football might not be awful for long. :)

---------- Post added January-9th-2012 at 03:21 PM ----------

https://twitter.com/#!/jcshurburtt

jcshurburtt JC Shurburtt

FYI on Darby- he's been in constant communication with other staffs for some time. Watch out for MD.

Football will be awful as long as disciplinarian Edsall is there.

There's a chance -- however small -- that Edsall will ratchet it back a bit, after watching his team flat-out quit on him last season starting with the Temple game.

He's safely ensconced in his sweetheart contract for another few years, but that doesn't mean he's safe from looking like a total fool during that time and ruining any shot at another HC gig elsewhere after he blows it at MD.

Fridge to Penn State

by Terrapin Insider on Jan 9, 2012

"Not that I really care, and I am very glad he is gone but figured it is worth mentioning. Although nothing has been finalized and it is largely speculation, it appears Friedgen will be going to Penn State to become their Offensive Coordinator. "

and 3rd party info says Diggs to UMD is a done deal.

and 3rd party info says Diggs to UMD is a done deal.

I hope this is accurate. :cloud9:

---------- Post added January-10th-2012 at 03:46 PM ----------

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/recruiting-blog/bal-recruiting-report-weekly-terps-recruiting-roundup-20120103,0,5117739.story

Before Thursday night, Maryland's 2012 football recruiting class was ranked among the ACC's lowest. But with the commitment of Good Counsel running back Wes Brown, the Terps have vaulted to the middle of the conference pack.

247Sports.com now ranks Maryland's class as the No. 36 group in the country, and the sixth-best class in the conference.

ESPN.com's Dave Hooker, who was on hand for Brown's announcement at the Under Armour All-America Game in St. Petersburg, Fla., tweeted that he's "beginning to think" Maryland could also land Friendship Collegiate (D.C.) defensive tackle Eddie Goldman and Good Counsel wide receiver Stefon Diggs, both of whom are five-star prospects.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2012/1/12/2700512/maryland-picks-up-commitment-from-highly-touted-d-c-rb-albert-reid#storyjump

Locksley doing work! :cloud9:

Maryland Picks Up Commitment from Highly-Touted D.C. RB Albert Reid

Right before the football recruiting stretch run began, my two big positions of worry were at running back and linebacker. The quick commitments of Abner Logan and Dallas Griffiths satisfied the latter concern; but not until Wes Brown's commitment a week ago were the concerns over running back assuaged.

And now, one week later, they're assuaged some more: three/four-star D.C. running back/athlete Albert Reid, formerly a West Virginia commitment, picked the Terrapins today over Vanderbilt, Iowa, and Illinois, plus offers from Cincinnati, Stanford, and others. (Side note: eat it, James Franklin. That's two running backs in a row we got that you wanted. Ha.) Anyway, Reid, who's drawn some rave reviews for his play-making ability, should do well to complement Brown's more powerful running style.

It seems to me to be a bit of a case of Locksley Magic. When Locksley was officially hired a few weeks ago, Reid was still committed (at least officially) to the 'Eers, and had given Maryland hardly any consideration early in the process. After he decommitted Maryland was in his top three, and then of course he just pulled the trigger today. The Terps were working on him before Locksley's arrival, but the Locksley connection looms large, not least due to the D.C. connections.

Reid certainly has speed in bunches, and in this case it seems to be mostly of the straight-line variety. He appears to often pick a hole and get north-south through it, turning on the burners quickly. He does have elusiveness - he's not just a track star in football pads - though it appears like most of that happens in the open field on cutbacks, not so much in close quarters. He has pretty good size, plus the ability to run through arm tackles, which elevates him from scat-back to a more all-purpose guy.

No matter the ranking, Reid seems a potential impact player. Of course, the big throughout all of this commotion that can't be overlooked is the cumulative effect of recruiting: this is the second big player in the D.C. area to commit to Maryland in two weeks, and that sort of movement won't go unnoticed among area coaches and elite prospects. For every big local that stays home, Maryland's chances get that much better with Eddie Goldman, Ronald Darby, and Stefon Diggs. Not to mention that Reid is teammates with Goldman and 2014 standout Jalen Tabor. I don't know how close that trio is, but having one on-board could only help matters with the others.

i love mike locksley

I am enjoying it too. I won't lie though, part of me is getting pretty nervous out how easily he is doing this.

I am not sure if there is some fishy stuff going on that will bite us later or if I am just not used to good recruitiers because Maryland has been shoddy at it lately.

I am enjoying it too. I won't lie though, part of me is getting pretty nervous out how easily he is doing this.

I am not sure if there is some fishy stuff going on that will bite us later or if I am just not used to good recruitiers because Maryland has been shoddy at it lately.

You're not sure? Let me give you a hint: yes, there is fishy stuff going on. All that means though is that maryland is now playing the same way that every other Division I football program plays. Seriously, I don't begrudge them this. Its simply how football recruiting works: you violate NCAA rules.

On the plus side, the NCAA is starting to realize that their rules are a joke and at some point soon they are going to providing monetary compensation for the players that is actually a "wage." So, just gotta keep things behind the curtain until then.

One thing I did note at Maryland was that the dining hall food was better than that of every other campus I visited. And that of virtually every campus I visited over the next few years, too (which turned out to be a lot).

At a summer conference at Virginia Tech in the late 90s, it seemed that VT's food had largely caught up. Good on 'em.

Anyway, back to the thread.

If recruitment is the same as it used to be, I would imagine Locksley has some help. As a guy who played D-1 ball, when I was given a recruit for the weekend, the coach expected them to get drunk and get laid and have a ton of fun in the process. Locksley must have some girls on board looking out for the well-being of he program! :ols:

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7454172/maryland-terrapins-open-season-unbeaten-streak

Maryland back in mix with nation's best

Two years ago, Maryland coach Brenda Frese knew that reinforcements were on the way, but that her Terrapins were going to take some lumps. Which they did, finishing 21-13 and losing in the WNIT's third round to Providence.

Not awful, but … well, come on. This is the program that won the 2006 NCAA title and has established high standards. Falling to the Friars? Even being in the WNIT? Not a year to remember.

Last season, the freshman class that Frese was sure would have a big impact arrived, and Maryland was definitely much more Maryland-like. The Terps went 24-8, yet didn't finish that strongly. They lost to Georgia Tech in the ACC tourney quarterfinals, then to Georgetown in the NCAA tournament second round. The 79-57 defeat at the hands of the Hoyas came on Maryland's home court, and it stung.

But all of that was part of the process, painful as it was at times, of getting Maryland back to where Frese wants the program to be: in the mix with the best teams in the country. And the No. 5 Terps (16-0) are there now.

Like most squads, Maryland still has plenty to work on. But what the Terps have to work with is quite impressive.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/recruiting-insider/post/potomac-mds-ronald-darby-meeting-with-maryland-schedules-visit-to-florida-state-clemson-lsu-and-notre-dame-still-in-mix/2012/01/12/gIQAHFbJuP_blog.html?wprss=recruiting-insider

Potomac (Md.)’s Ronald Darby meeting with Maryland, schedules visit to Florida State; Clemson, LSU and Notre Dame still in mix

Potomac (Md.) speedster defensive back Ronald Darby is tentatively scheduled to meet with Maryland offensive coordinator and super-recruiter Mike Locksley on Thursday night and will take an official visit to Florida State this weekend. But Darby is not expected to make his college choice until the beginning of college football's letter-of-intent signing period on Feb. 1, according to his high school coach Ronnie Crump.

Crump said that Darby may schedule an official visit to Clemson and that LSU is making a push for the senior. The Tigers, though, have yet to offer a scholarship.

Crump also said he was uncertain if Notre Dame is completely out of the running for Darby, even though the player recently de-committed from the Fighting Irish. Darby verbally committed to Notre Dame last April.

"I think it's probably going to go down to signing day," Crump said.

Archived