Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

Fridge's buyout was much, much smaller than Edsall's would be, thanks in part to Anderson including no buyout clause whatsoever in the contract.

I don't think there's anybody in the nation with the combination of desire and readily burned cash to buy out Edsall at the moment. Plank would come closest but he isn't ponying up that kind of cash.

From what I've read he's a pretty good coordinator with a pro style offense which is great for DOB. more than that locksley is a phenomenal recruiter, especially in this area

I dont think anything is going to change until we get rid of Captain Dip**** leading the team into the ground.....and General Dip**** Kevin Anderson too

We could have had Mike Leach! :(

I dont think anything is going to change until we get rid of Captain Dip**** leading the team into the ground.....and General Dip**** Kevin Anderson too

We could have had Mike Leach! :(

Unfortunately I agree with you but I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible what's another team I like sucking, I've been dealing with the Skins doing so for as long as I can recall

Geez give the man some time......let the guy bring in his recruits ( 6 big timers may follow in the next couple of days could be more, talking big time recruits )

God I hope you're right, and you were about coaching changes and Locksley before it broke in twitter and testudotimes. Hopefully one of thos big recruits is Eddie Goldman, Noah Spence, diggs, or good god all three.

http://www.testudotimes.com/

Reports: Maryland Hires Local Super-Recruiter Mike Locksley as Offensive Coordinator

It's getting around, so we'll go with our friends at InsideMDSports. Long story short: sources are indicating that Mike Locksley is about to get hired at Maryland as the offensive coordinator to replace Gary Crowton.

This is right in the middle of the basketball game, so that's obviously the focus right now and we'll expand more on it later. Locksley was my ideal hire, and you can read more about him in my earlier post on the offensive coordinator situation.

For now, know that he's probably a "good-enough" offensive coordinator in the Xs-and-Os scenario. Not much in his history indicates that he'll be a cure-all for Maryland's offensive woes, though I do think he'll be as good as Crowton and quite possibly better. He'll likely introduce a pro-style offense, which should be a better fit for the Terrapins' personnel, so if nothing else he'll hold onto the ball more.

The real story, though, is the recruiting impact. In short, Locksley is a DC-area super-recruiter. He's like football's Dalonte Hill. He's not only one of the nation's elite recruiters, he's hands-down the best in this area. He got Arrelious Benn out to Illinois, for Juan's sake.

He will have a massive impact in recruiting. Massive. Mostly in the 2013 class, but also in the 2012 short-term. His addition should at least give Maryland a fighting chance at the elite locals, particularly Eddie Goldman but also Stefon Diggs and potentially Ronald Darby as well.

More later, including on his very public faults (punching an assistant, anyone?).

I cant wait to see what big whitey from Ukraine brings to this team...as it stands right now, our current white forwards are major disappointments to white bball players everywhere :ols:

Nick Faust is shaky with the ball. Pankey looks good. Mosley definitely provides leadership, his blocks were awesome and the result of hustle.

I dont expect much from this team this year, but as long as they hustle and play hard, I'm fine. Maybe they'll surprise us? :fingersx:

We could surprise as long as we hustle and limit turnovers. Len will for sure help down low and Howard will help with bringing the ball up and running the offense. Faust is excellent at dribbling into trouble so far. He is not good on the ball, needs to play smarter. Pankey looked good tonight, he has good size and energy. Parker has flashes where he drives to the bucket excellently, I'd like to see more of that. And Stoglin is a baller no doubt but he forces some dumb shots when he gets frustrated. He should pick his spots better. Mosley makes some great shots then misses some by 3 feet. I'd like to see him lead as a senior and play smarter.

Right now I see us as one of the first 5 teams out. If we can get a couple quality wins and beat the teams we should then there is a possibility we can get in. Gonna take a big effort but it's possible.

@JNewbergESPN

Jamie Newberg

If Mike Locksley goes back to #Maryland u better believe the kids from that area will take a good, long look at #Terrapins. #greatrecruiter

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 03:06 AM ----------

DaRealFayFisherFay Fisher

@JNewbergESPN who do you think is goldman fav????

@JNewbergESPN

Jamie Newberg

@DaRealFayFisher Hard to say. Right now I would say #Bama, #FSU, darkhorse #Canes... Locksley to #Maryland - all bets are off.

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/12/15/2638631/mike-locksley-randy-edsall-maryland-terrapins-football-offensive-coordinator

Recruiting

Simply, Locksley is the best D.C. recruiter in the game. He's Dalonte Hill. (Probably better than Dalonte, which I might get into in a later post.) He's the type of guy who makes Maryland an instant player for every highly-regarded local still on the board, and probably some that aren't, too.

Let's start at the beginning: remember the whole "Friedgen won with Vanderlinden's players" meme that started to circulate in the mid-2000s? Well, it would've been more accurate to say "Friedgen won with Mike Locksley's players." It was Locks - a running back and recruiting coordinator at Maryland from 1997 to 2003 - who landed the majority of the base of that 2001 Orange Bowl team, for instance. (And Lamont Jordan, which is a different point.) He was also the point man on the recruitment of Shawne Merriman and Vernon Davis, two of the most purely-talented players to come through Maryland in the past decade.

He left for Florida in 2003, where he landed five-star, top-10 defensive end Derrick Harvey, a native of Greenbelt. And lest you say "Oh, it's so easy to recruit to Florida": Harvey was the Gators' only five-star that year. It is easy to recruit to Florida, but it was a lot tougher with Ron Zook in 2004 instead of Urban Meyer in 2009.

He left for Illinois with Zook in 2005, but his recruiting successes didn't stop; in fact, they took off. His most publicized conquests were Arrelious Benn and Reggie Ellis in back-to-back years; Benn a five-star wide receiver, Ellis a four-star defensive end, both arguably the best player to come out of DC in their respective classes. Both chose to go to Illinois over a host of high-profile programs, including Florida State, Notre Dame, Miami, Michigan, Penn State, and, yes, Maryland.

Added to those two is a litany of high-profile recruits on which he was the point man: Juice Williams (a top-100 QB from Chicago) and DC locals Vontae Davis (yes, Vernon's brother and a future first-round draft pick), Travon Bellamy, and Nate Bussey, among others.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-6567.html

*A darkhorse candidate for the Jaguars job is Maryland coach Randy Edsall. It may be tough to hire a coach who is coming off a 2-10 season, but there is some sentiment in the Jaguars offices that Edsall would be a fit. Edsall coached Jaguars defensive backs for four seasons and is respected by members of the front office. He is a Tom Coughlin disciple who coached under the former Jaguars coach at three stops, and also played for him at Syracuse.

Archived