Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

"Right now, Maryland is staring down a top-10 class," said ESPN's Dave Telep. "With the potential to put a big old cherry on top if they can get one of those home-run hitters. You've got to give them an ‘A.' They were on Layman before he blew up. So far, mission accomplished."
MooMoo25 Jerami Grant

Sufferin peacefully

No biggie. Jake Layman is a 6'8 SF. Jerami Grant is a 6'7 SF. Essentially the same player, Grant is just more athletic and gets rebounds while Layman has a better shot and is better defensively. And Layman is perfectly athletic enough too, and long. Let's just focus on getting McGary and/or Jefferson and this will be a tremendous class. Already is very good.

Doesn't matter.

We're going to get Amille Jefferson. :)

I was thinking that he was either scared off by Layman or that he thought Amile would commit. They're all around the same size; there can only be so many minutes available.

If McGary were to commit, 3-5 seem to be settled for a few years...

*The Maryland Terrapins had a great weekend when they got the news that Jake Layman decided to pull the trigger and commit, but also things went well with Amile Jefferson. In fact there is a lot of buzz around Jefferson that the Terps could be in the early pole position. An upcoming visit to Ohio State could really tell a big story, but the Terps really impressed. One thing to keep in mind is that this recruitment could stretch out until right to signing day or even further, so it is bound to have twists and turns, but Maryland has made themselves a serious player here, and the ball is now in the other schools court in order to match what he saw in College Park.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/9/11/2418032/marylands-football-recruiting-active-in-bye-week-ronald-darby

Maryland's Football Recruiting Active in Bye Week: Ronald Darby Considering Terps?

The most immediately important player-specific news comes from Rivals' Mike Farrell regarding Notre Dame commitment Ronald Darby. Whom, it sounds, isn't really committed to the Irish. Darby was actually at the Maryland-Miami game last week, and he said he loved it and wants to get back, which sounds very good for the Terrapins' chances at stealing a big-time commitment. Though, to be honest, it sounds like his recruitment is getting wide open with the number of visits he's considering.

Darby had some minor Maryland interest early in his recruitment, until he committed to ND in early April. But let's get one thing out there right away: he's really good. He's a five-star on Scout and the nation's #1 CB on the same service. He's a four-star on both ESPN and Rivals and in the top 100 for both. Darby's noted as the nation's fastest recruit, and I'm not going to argue. He's extraordinarily explosive when he gets the ball, too, and he'll almost certainly be a game-changer on Day One as a returner. [/b]

Meanwhile, another 2012 local stud Stefon Diggs will be cutting his list to 10 schools by October, because he wants to see how teams play early in the year. Winning begets winning, I guess. Diggs' coach has already given him an unofficial top six of sorts, and I'd expect all of them, including Maryland, to make his cut. Scout's Kristen Kenny says that Maryland "moved up on the list", presumably in response to their performance (and jerseys) against Miami last weekend.

http://twitter.com/#!/EvanDanielscout

EvanDanielscout Evan Daniels

Mark Turgeon and John Thompson have both been by Gonzaga since the evaluation period opened up to check out 2013 guard Nate Britt.

http://twitter.com/#!/Brewsterhoops

BrewsterHoops Jason Smith

#Maryland head coach @CoachTurgeon and 2 assistants will be on campus at #Brewster today to visit with @MitchMcGary33. #TERPS

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/maryland_terps/blog/2011/09/maryland_to_name_court_for_gary_williams.html

Maryland to name court for Gary Williams

Maryland announced today that it is naming the Comcast Center basketball court for retired men's coach Gary Williams.

“I’m honored and humbled to receive this recognition,” Williams said in a news release. “It’s important to remember that the success we achieved at Maryland was a team effort and all the coaches, student-athletes and staff who were here are a big part of this. I’m very appreciative of the effort by Kevin Anderson, President Loh, Chancellor Kirwan and everyone else who has been a part of making this happen.”

Maryland also intends to honor former men’s basketball coach Lefty Driesell, who won 348 games in 18 seasons in College Park before being forced out following the 1986 death of star player Len Bias.

Driesell's supporters believe such recognition – raising a Comcast Center banner for Driesell is among the options under consideration -- is overdue.

Christian Sanders will be on campus Friday.

For those of you who don't know: Sanders plays AAU ball with Shaquille Cleare and the Harrison twins.

Also Terry Henderson (from North Carolina) has an in-home visit with the staff on Monday.

---------- Post added September-15th-2011 at 03:15 PM ----------

Fwiw, There are rumors that Nike is considering buying Under Armour.

I was at an undisclosed location this morning, getting coffee in a hotel lobby, when I noticed turgeon and a bunch of the curren terps were in the lobby. The current terps, including berendj weis, were all in maryland warm ups, and they were recruiting a few kids who were in street clothes. At least, that's what I assume they were doing because they were talking to a couple kids, at least one of whom had his parents there with him. I have no idea who they were.

So, basically, I saw Turg, and have no idea what he was doing, and I have nothing else to report. :ols:

I was at an undisclosed location this morning, getting coffee in a hotel lobby, when I noticed turgeon and a bunch of the curren terps were in the lobby. The current terps, including berendj weis, were all in maryland warm ups, and they were recruiting a few kids who were in street clothes. At least, that's what I assume they were doing because they were talking to a couple kids, at least one of whom had his parents there with him. I have no idea who they were.

So, basically, I saw Turg, and have no idea what he was doing, and I have nothing else to report. :ols:

Here are the links. ;)

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/31997745

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/The-Christian-Sanders-File-40037

---------- Post added September-17th-2011 at 01:49 PM ----------

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1266012

More interest in Maryland

Maryland went into the season opening home game against Miami knowing that it was a fantastic opportunity to make a huge impression on the top in-state targets, many of whom the Terps were struggling with until that point. The primetime ESPN game on Labor Day night, the new uniforms, the loud atmosphere, the new coaching - it all created the perfect scenario for Maryland, and the staff took advantage of it by rounding up all of the top in-state talent.

With Diggs, Jones, Brown, Darby and Goldman all attending the game, along with a host of other top recruits, the Terrapins did enough on that Monday night to make up substantial amounts of ground with every player. Currently, I think Diggs has Maryland in his top three with Florida and Auburn, I think Jones has Maryland in his top three with Auburn and Alabama and I think Darby has Maryland in his top two with Notre Dame. Maryland is also running in the top two for Brown along with Miami while Goldman has not cut down his list as much, but Maryland is firmly entrenched in his top seven.

The victory over Miami also opened the eyes of several younger recruits, such as Kendall Fuller, Dorian O'Daniel and Jalen Tabor who were all equally impressed by what they saw from the Terrapins on Labor Day night. Getting into the mindset of the younger recruits is almost as important as it is with the class of 2012, because it continues to lay the foundation in the region for Maryland.

Aside from the Labor Day victory, another major reason for the recent recruiting upswing at Maryland is the hands-on approach that has been taken by new coach Randy Edsall. Edsall was not necessarily known as a hands-on recruiter while at Connecticut and neither was former coach Ralph Friedgen during his stint at Maryland. This new approach is being very well received by recruits and it was important for Diggs, Jones, Darby, Brown, Fuller, O'Daniel and others to see Edsall on hand this past weekend at the Patriot Classic..

Saw that kid Stefon Diggs today...He was talking to my buddy about some of the schools he was thinking about. Basically, he was loving the SEC and I think he spoke highly of Oregon, but he didn't seem all that thrilled with Maryland.

For what it's worth, he didn't say anything to imply that he wouldn't consider Maryland, but it didn't like they would be in serious consideration.

No troll...promise.

Archived