Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

I like the potential of all the Uni options. Maybe its the Skins fan in me talking. But I'd like to see the yellow pants with a White or Red jersey. Then the Shellmet Helmet is sweet but that stripe while interesting doesn't really fit in.

If Under Armour is taking over Maryland. Maybe they can buy the hoops team a new floor that has that Shellmet shadow in the wood (wood color) but something unique and NOT LOUD.

Report: Maryland Adds 7-2 Ukrainian Olexiy Len to 2011 Roster

In search of reinforcements for a depleted frontcourt, the University of Maryland basketball staff has gone international, adding 7-foot-2 Ukranian Olexiy Len.

Sources tell InsideMDSports.com that Len, who goes by Alex in the States, is on campus expected to enroll for fall classes, which begin Wednesday, and it's hoped he'll be declared academically in time to help a Maryland program that has just three post players -- none of them with vast experience -- this winter.

he does appear to have some real talent to go with the height. He recently competed in the FIBA U-18 Championship, averaging 16.0 points and 11.4 rebounds per game. He led the event in offensive rebounds and blocks, was 4th in points per game, and came in second with 6 double-doubles at the event. And lest you think this is comparable to Haukur Palsson dropping 27 on the Faroe Islands, Len was playing in Division A against the stalwarts of European basketball, like Lithuania, Russia, and France.

He averaged more points and rebounds per game than Latvian Davis Bertans, who was drafted by the Pacers in this year's NBA Draft. His numbers were only slightly behind Jonas Valanciunas, who was the 5th pick in the draft: Valanciunas's 19 and 13 are pretty close to Len's 16 and 11.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/8/29/2391199/report-maryland-adds-7-2-ukrainian-olexiy-len-to-2011-roster#storyjump

Maryland announced Monday that Olexiy “Alex” Len has enrolled at the university and will be a member of the Terrapins’ squad for 2011-12.

One coach who requested anonymity called the 7-foot-1, 225-pound center from Antratsit, Ukraine a “lottery pick.”

“Best recruit in America,” the coach said. “Maryland got a lottery pick.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/29/maryland-adds-potential-lottery-pick-in-len/

Maryland Back in Contention with DeMatha Forward Jerami Grant

"I just got off the phone with his father, Harvey, and they want to make a decision here in the next week to 10 days," DeMatha coach Mike Jones told SNY.tv. "He doesn't want it to go past the first week of September.

Jones said Rutgers, Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia Tech, N.C. State and Oklahoma are in the mix, with Texas having "just" been removed.

Frankly, I'd be delighted with a Grant commitment. He's the best local player in the class, which should help keep the "Keep Maryland talent at home" people happy. He's also at a position of need at the 3, a spot where Maryland doesn't really have too many other options - Amile Jefferson and Jake Layman are the only other two, and they're both tough lands.

Most importantly, he's plain good. He was on TV shortly after he cut his list, and he looked impressive playing for Team Takeover against Shaquille Cleare's Houston Defenders. His big flaw has been his inability to consistently involve himself in the offense, but he looked like he answered that, getting to the line something like 10 times in the first quarter. When he's on, he can dominate a game. He has a mid-range game, solid handle, great length, and is very athletic. He may not be Amile Jefferson, but he has great potential with the ability to make an impact right away.

When do we find about about more signing decisions?

Brave and I have been posting as they come in. Expect Grant to make a decision by the end of next week.

Mitch Mcgary is expected by the end of the month.

There is a rumor circulating that 10-12 recruits are here this weekend for the football game om Monday night

Brave and I have been posting as they come in. Expect Grant to make a decision by the end of next week.

Mitch Mcgary is expected by the end of the month.

There is a rumor circulating that 10-12 recruits are here this weekend for the football game om Monday night

Thanks. I keep peeking in here every once in a while to see what's going on.

Olexiy Len scouting report.

“from an NBA scout, courtesy of our guy Franz Beard:

STRENGTHS: Keeps his feet moving when the ball hits the rim so he’s got potential to be a dominating rebounder. He’s a better offensive rebounder. Nice shot blocker who uses his arms well and again moves his feet so he is not foul prone. Good hands, catches the ball well. Nice jump hook. Decent range on his jumper.

WEAKNESSES: Sometimes wants to shoot jumpers a little too much. Will have some problems initially with the physical nature of the college game. He’s not used to getting shoved around and pushed the way he will in the low blocks, but he’s got a good basketball IQ and is very coachable so that is something that will go away with time and coaching.

COMMENTS: Figure he will be a rebounder/shot blocker primarily in year one with any offense he gives you a plus. By year two should be getting a handle on his offensive game.

He could get drafted after one year but if he will stay in school two years he’s got a chance to go very high, perhaps even lottery."

This sheds light on the stuff we discuss – it will take time to develop an offensive game, as well as get used to more physical play. Tempers expectations some, but with hard work and listening to our coaches, Alex will improve greatly and can possibly be an important contributor by Soph season.

---------- Post added August-31st-2011 at 06:09 PM ----------

From a Georgetown message board:

Discussing the Harrison twins AND Nate Britt. :pfft:

I had always heard that these kids were kansas leans with texas heavily involved. But recently I heard that MD is very heavy in the mix. Close to signing these kids. This would be great for MD, but I have also been told by several people that Britt is very much in the mix with MD.

http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=recruit&action=display&thread=24536

MT @DeMathaHoops: @MooMoo25 [Jerami Grant] will visit Rutgers unofficially tmrw and may attend the MD/Miami game Mon. Decision next week

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 01:38 AM ----------

Per Inside MD Sports: Layman, Jefferson, and Grant will all be here this weekend. Also said Britt is sitting down with Turgeon this weekend.

Archived