Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is DC now the yuppiest city in the US?

shk75

Its like they're trying to be different from "normal" people because they don't like everyone being the same. Then they make friends with a whole bunch of people who are exactly the same as them, only they don't realize what they've done and keep pretending like each of them is a unique individual when they're just doing the same thing that everyone else has to do, they're just wearing different clothes and ****.

Maybe it's their ultimate irony?

I think you are confused on what a yuppie is. A yuppie would be the guy in the suit, with the hair cut, going off to his corporate job.

Read the phrase "yupster". I'm talking about something I brought up pages ago. The dreaded hybrid of yuppie hipster. Hipsters with successful jobs basically, or yuppies who try to distinguish themselves by dressing like hipsters. Go to New York City sometime, walk down a sidewalk in Greenwich Village. Look at the people around you. This is what I'm talking about.

I'm only bothered by hipsters and yuppies I meet because almost all of them are going out of their way to act like that and fit in with a group while at the same time pretending that everybody else in the world is a toolbox because they do things to fit in with groups.

I could see it now, hipsters watching me and some co-workers walking past them wearing suits and ties, not covered in tattoo's because nobody would hire us, with acceptable haircuts for our place of business, with well maintained facial hair, and no piercings showing at the least because it isn't allowed. "What a bunch of corporate robots!" They say to their friends who are all wearing generally the same ensemble of skinny jeans and 3-4 things (hats, shirts, glasses, accessories) which are considered edgy, retro, or ironic. "They all look alike and work jobs they hate for the man!" say the yupsters. "They don't know how to be different and individualistic like us! Now lets all go to the coffee shop on our fixed gear bicycles and use our i-pads and talk about our favorite indie movies that nobody cares about!"

Its like they're trying to be different from "normal" people because they don't like everyone being the same. Then they make friends with a whole bunch of people who are exactly the same as them, only they don't realize what they've done and keep pretending like each of them is a unique individual when they're just doing the same thing that everyone else has to do, they're just wearing different clothes and ****.

Sure there are yuppies and hipsters or the dreaded yupsters who don't do this intentionally and simply arrive at the same place as everyone else by their own choices and decisions rather than a conscious effort to be part of a group or trend, just like I wear suits because I look good and respectable in them, I keep my hair cut neatly because it looks way better than when its messy and all over the place. I don't have tattoos and piercings because I've never had the desire to get any. It sucks for anybody to get lumped in with a large group of people when they aren't actually trying to, but I guess thats just the way life is huh?

I agree and disagree with you on this. I get how it looks like they all look the same/dress the same, but it's more because it's a fashion thing, not because we are forced to look that way because our job makes us. They do it because they can or want to and not entirely to just fit in. There are a lot of people in the hipster scene that don't dress like the status quo hipster, some maybe really into fashion, some are metal heads some are delivery people, some just look like bums, some wear somewhat nice clothes. In that scene how you dress is a fashion thing, not a conformist thing. They do it because they want to get laid or enjoy trying to dress up to show off and look good. There is no one that is going to fire them for wanting to wear something or get a tattoo.

Dressing up in a suit and tie, while might make you look good as you say, isn't really a fashion statement, it's a statement that says I work in a job that forces me to wear this other wise I wouldn't have said job. That's okay with some people and I'm not going to solely hate on you because you have to wear a suit and I don't, you might not like or get fashion. But don't compare the two when they really aren't the same thing.

Read the phrase "yupster". I'm talking about something I brought up pages ago. The dreaded hybrid of yuppie hipster. Hipsters with successful jobs basically, or yuppies who try to distinguish themselves by dressing like hipsters. Go to New York City sometime, walk down a sidewalk in Greenwich Village. Look at the people around you. This is what I'm talking about.

Oh sorry you said hipster and yuppies. I guess I was the one confused.

As long as we all are painting with broad brushes, and we are, its important to remember that people outside of any social group ("yuppies" or "hipsters") always regard that group as worse than it really is. Especially old people. Old people are the worst, watching Matlock all day, wearing their pants around their chests, and spending up my inheritance. Mother****ers.

Sure, hipsters are annoying, and you just want to wipe their permasmirks off their miserable thick-framed glasses wearing ****ing faces, but you know they go home think It's Always Sunny is funny as ****, so really, they are just like you and me in some ways.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 02:50 PM ----------

Arlington has changed more than a little but I agree that the general type of person you'd see in Clarendon in 2000 and 2011 hasn't changed much, it's just the sheer numbers that are amazing. And the amount of stuff that has gone up in the last 10 years. Amazing. My parents were saying when they moved to Arlington in '86 there was pretty much just Tower Villas and those two twins in Rosslyn.

That massive apartment building next to the VA Square Metro used to be the non-paved gravel parking lot we parked in for church.

It's really incredible how much they've changed the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in the last 10 years alone even though the development began in the 80's.

It's more the sheer number of people that you see as opposed to the type. Do you remember Kaleidoscope, the arcade/mini golf place that used to be in Clarendon?

Arlington actually stopped building like 3 years ago due to the recession. It's just recently started back up. At least 2 new highrises are going up in Ballston right now.

I agree and disagree with you on this. I get how it looks like they all look the same/dress the same, but it's more because it's a fashion thing, not because we are forced to look that way because our job makes us. They do it because they can or want to and not entirely to just fit in. There are a lot of people in the hipster scene that don't dress like the status quo hipster, some maybe really into fashion, some are metal heads some are delivery people, some just look like bums, some wear somewhat nice clothes. In that scene how you dress is a fashion thing, not a conformist thing. They do it because they want to get laid or enjoy trying to dress up to show off and look good. There is no one that is going to fire them for wanting to wear something or get a tattoo.

Dressing up in a suit and tie, while might make you look good as you say, isn't really a fashion statement, it's a statement that says I work in a job that forces me to wear this other wise I wouldn't have said job. That's okay with some people and I'm not going to solely hate on you because you have to wear a suit and I don't, you might not like or get fashion. But don't compare the two when they really aren't the same thing.

Actually I'm a teacher and very few of the other teachers here wear suits. I'm certainly the only one under 40 years old wearing one. The dress policy is loose, the school gives us polo shirts and basically the dress code everyone adheres to is polo shirts and khakis. I don't have to wear a suit and many here don't wear one, I choose to wear one because of the reasons I said I do. Sure, there are people like my dad and my brother working with companies where suits are the dress policy, and they don't have a choice. My dad also wears dress shirts and ties outside of his office as his normal clothing. Must be a generation thing and I'm just weird or something.

At any rate, even though the hipster fashion isn't something mandated by a company, I'd like to see a hipster show up to the coffee shop with his other hipster friends wearing a tailored suit, with his hair cut and combed, clean shaven, no piercings or bizarre hats, just looking like a guy who just came from a business meeting. I wonder what his friends would say about him? What if he claimed he was just wearing it because he liked it? Depending on the group they would likely turn on him or at the least poke fun at his choice of clothing. For a lot of the yupsters I know it isn't really a choice...like sure they make the choice to do those things to fit in, but if they don't do it they might not fit in with their friends who expect him to look a certain way. It all has to do with projecting an image which is in line with everybody else. They really aren't all that different from people who have to wear suits to work to fit in with everybody else. I mean you don't HAVE to, you could show up looking however you wanted, you just might not be accepted that way and you don't want to not be accepted do you?

Just wanna chime in on this—you're 100% accurate. I'm looking around for a new job right now, and there's no way I can get what I'm looking for without wearing a suit. Period. And every time I get dressed—literally every time, this irritates me to no end—I think about how ****ing dumb it is that a culture has developed which would ignore whatever abilities I bring to the table if I don't happen to be wearing a specific type of clothing.

Actually I'm a teacher and very few of the other teachers here wear suits. I'm certainly the only one under 40 years old wearing one. The dress policy is loose, the school gives us polo shirts and basically the dress code everyone adheres to is polo shirts and khakis. I don't have to wear a suit and many here don't wear one, I choose to wear one because of the reasons I said I do. Sure, there are people like my dad and my brother working with companies where suits are the dress policy, and they don't have a choice. My dad also wears dress shirts and ties outside of his office as his normal clothing. Must be a generation thing and I'm just weird or something.

At any rate, even though the hipster fashion isn't something mandated by a company, I'd like to see a hipster show up to the coffee shop with his other hipster friends wearing a tailored suit, with his hair cut and combed, clean shaven, no piercings or bizarre hats, just looking like a guy who just came from a business meeting. I wonder what his friends would say about him? What if he claimed he was just wearing it because he liked it? Depending on the group they would likely turn on him or at the least poke fun at his choice of clothing. For a lot of the yupsters I know it isn't really a choice...like sure they make the choice to do those things to fit in, but if they don't do it they might not fit in with their friends who expect him to look a certain way. It all has to do with projecting an image which is in line with everybody else. They really aren't all that different from people who have to wear suits to work to fit in with everybody else. I mean you don't HAVE to, you could show up looking however you wanted, you just might not be accepted that way and you don't want to not be accepted do you?

That's cool, about wearing a suit as a teacher, I wouldn't hate on you for that. Actually I don't see a problem with someone showing up on Bedford Ave wearing a suit and tie that looks good, if it's a person that people know isn't just some DB yuppie NYU or bridge and tunnel kid. I'd rock a skinny suit in a heartbeat. I personally used to dress up every once in awhile just to throw others off. The hate that is projected on the suit or yuppie outfit, at least from a "hipsters" view is more like a uniform, like a cop. You wear that because it's your uniform and I hate everything it stands for, the reasons behind having to wear it and what it means when those types of people come into my hip little bar with our cheap drinks that we drink because we are broke as **** not because we want to look cool.

That's cool, about wearing a suit as a teacher, I wouldn't hate on you for that. Actually I don't see a problem with someone showing up on Bedford Ave wearing a suit and tie that looks good, if it's a person that people know isn't just some DB yuppie NYU or bridge and tunnel kid. I'd rock a skinny suit in a heartbeat. I personally used to dress up every once in awhile just to throw others off. The hate that is projected on the suit or yuppie outfit, at least from a "hipsters" view is more like a uniform, like a cop. You wear that because it's your uniform and I hate everything it stands for, the reasons behind having to wear it and what it means when those types of people come into my hip little bar with our cheap drinks that we drink because we are broke as **** not because we want to look cool.

I don't want to attack you or anything I am sure you are a cool dude, and you probably already know this, but the way you feel about yuppies is probably how those in Bushwick feel about you

It also says that you have a job that you like enough to put on a suit everyday to go to. Way better than putting on a uniform and going to work at Starbucks.

Also, if my tradeoff is wear a suit and drink good booze or don't wear a suit and drink PBR, gimme the suit every time.

Those are a San Francisco speciality too, believe me.

Well and like you said earlier, you're not trying to be part of that group just like I'm not trying to be part of the group I'm lumped in. There are plenty of yupsters out there like my brother in law though who are doing it because they don't really have an identity of their own, or they're unhappy with the one they had so they had to adopt somebody else's.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 03:05 PM ----------

Those are a San Francisco speciality too, believe me.

Wow, somebody from San Francisco said this a few pages back also...it must really be a thing out there huh?

I don't want to attack you or anything I am sure you are a cool dude, and you probably already know this, but the way you feel about yuppies is probably how those in Bushwick feel about you

No, I get that, they are getting pushed out by hipsters. I have these kind of conversations with different people a lot, reason why I'm posting so much in this thread. However, at least how I see it, these areas are not nice at all, they are really really bad dangerous areas and the current tenants have more to gain even if they don't like it. For example, I lived in Petworth about 10 years ago, I remember my neighbor was really cool with a bunch of kids moving in because he knew it meant his house will eventually be worth more once the area gets nicer. I mean the first time I met him he was telling me about how just recently our street had a drive by and all the cars were shot up, but look at it now he probably could sell that house and make millions.

I feel like the difference between a bad area getting a little bit nicer is a bigger and better difference than a really cool area getting destroyed by greed.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 03:13 PM ----------

Well and like you said earlier, you're not trying to be part of that group just like I'm not trying to be part of the group I'm lumped in. There are plenty of yupsters out there like my brother in law though who are doing it because they don't really have an identity of their own, or they're unhappy with the one they had so they had to adopt somebody else's.

Good point. There are too many people who's life revolves around just on how others think about them.

As long as we all are painting with broad brushes, and we are, its important to remember that people outside of any social group ("yuppies" or "hipsters") always regard that group as worse than it really is. Especially old people. Old people are the worst, watching Matlock all day, wearing their pants around their chests, and spending up my inheritance. Mother****ers.

Sure, hipsters are annoying, and you just want to wipe their permasmirks off their miserable thick-framed glasses wearing ****ing faces, but you know they go home think It's Always Sunny is funny as ****, so really, they are just like you and me in some ways.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 02:50 PM ----------

Arlington actually stopped building like 3 years ago due to the recession. It's just recently started back up. At least 2 new highrises are going up in Ballston right now.

Arlington is recession proof essentially. Or maybe it was the $100 million they pumped into my new high school during junior year. But really, if any county in America was fit to handle the recession, it was right here.

No, I get that, they are getting pushed out by hipsters. I have these kind of conversations with different people a lot, reason why I'm posting so much in this thread. However, at least how I see it, these areas are not nice at all, they are really really bad dangerous areas and the current tenants have more to gain even if they don't like it. For example, I lived in Petworth about 10 years ago, I remember my neighbor was really cool with a bunch of kids moving in because he knew it meant his house will eventually be worth more once the area gets nicer. I mean the first time I met him he was telling me about how just recently our street had a drive by and all the cars were shot up, but look at it now he probably could sell that house and make millions.

I feel like the difference between a bad area getting a little bit nicer is a bigger and better difference than a really cool area getting destroyed by greed.

I think what bothers most people about hispters in NYC is that they choose to live in bad neighborhoods and then flaunt it like hey I am from BK I know what it's like to have a tough life when the reality is they grew up in the suburbs and just moved there a couple years ago. It is something that those actually from that neighborhood do not understand and are offended by because they do not like people who claim something they are not.

I think what bothers most people about hispters in NYC is that they choose to live in bad neighborhoods and then flaunt it like hey I am from BK I know what it's like to have a tough life when the reality is they grew up in the suburbs and just moved there a couple years ago. It is something that those actually from that neighborhood do not understand and are offended by because they do not like people who claim something they are not.

Agreed, funny thing is, most of my friends are really from Brooklyn and they hate on kids like that for the same reason. They don't really give me **** because I'm from DC and I don't fake on it. I still rock my Redskins gear proud and say I'm from DC I don't pretend that I grew up in NYC when I didn't. I don't think you can become a newyorker, you have to be from here and grow up here. I'll never be a a true NYer but I'm a city boy true and true.

Since Lambda Rising closed on Connecticut Ave., gays are mostly on 17th Street and Logan Circle area. At least that's where I hang out when I go into DC.

I went to ChurchKey a few weeks ago in Logan Circle...if you like beer that's the best place in town. 50 taps and a ton of bottles!

I went to ChurchKey a few weeks ago in Logan Circle...if you like beer that's the best place in town. 50 taps and a ton of bottles!

I go to 1490 Playbill that is owned by friends of mine. I haven't been in a while though.

Back in the mid 80s, when the term "yuppie" was getting started, there was an even more exclusive little group called the "Washington Young Professionals" or WYPs. These were mostly Hill people (sounds like a tribe and it is in a way) or those working toward middle management positions. Expensive suits (men and women), dinner out alot, single for the most part. I was not part of that group.

Archived