Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is DC now the yuppiest city in the US?

shk75

Like I said before, obnoxious yuppies and hipsters sure as HELL beats seeing crack heads scratching themselves when you're boarding a green line train.

Some of my earliest memories are D.C. in the mid-90s during Marion Barry's second term. I still remember all the boarded up store fronts and run down apartments. When we would go deeper into the city go to church (even in a nice neighborhood like New Hampshire Ave. NW) or to my great Aunt's, I was always semi-scared by what I saw along the way. I'm almost glad I never went to a game at RFK because God knows you'd have to watch yourself if you were anywhere near the stadium, especially at night.

Hipsters and yuppies annoy me to no end with their arrogance, but I will take a snob over a junkie or a mugger any day of the week.

You can believe that's the damn truth.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 05:16 PM ----------

Just wanna chime in on this—you're 100% accurate. I'm looking around for a new job right now, and there's no way I can get what I'm looking for without wearing a suit. Period. And every time I get dressed—literally every time, this irritates me to no end—I think about how ****ing dumb it is that a culture has developed which would ignore whatever abilities I bring to the table if I don't happen to be wearing a specific type of clothing.

This is the truth. I kind of semi-rebel and wear turtle necks.

Before you laugh, I've been told I can pull them off. So, stay mad. :D

Like I said before, obnoxious yuppies and hipsters sure as HELL beats seeing crack heads scratching themselves when you're boarding a green line train.

Some of my earliest memories are D.C. in the mid-90s during Marion Barry's second term. I still remember all the boarded up store fronts and run down apartments. When we would go deeper into the city go to church (even in a nice neighborhood like New Hampshire Ave. NW) or to my great Aunt's, I was always semi-scared by what I saw along the way. I'm almost glad I never went to a game at RFK because God knows you'd have to watch yourself if you were anywhere near the stadium, especially at night.

Hipsters and yuppies annoy me to no end with their arrogance, but I will take a snob over a junkie or a mugger any day of the week.

You can believe that's the damn truth.

Awesome post. Couldn't agree more.

Just wanna chime in on this—you're 100% accurate. I'm looking around for a new job right now, and there's no way I can get what I'm looking for without wearing a suit. Period. And every time I get dressed—literally every time, this irritates me to no end—I think about how ****ing dumb it is that a culture has developed which would ignore whatever abilities I bring to the table if I don't happen to be wearing a specific type of clothing.

One of the most important "abilities" is your ability to submit to hierarchies and social norms. Meeting arbitrary requirements (like wearing a suit) shows that 1) you are aware of social norms 2) aren't rebellious enough to ignore them... if you can't follow directions (implicit or not) then of what use are you as an employee?

If some guy came in an interviewed with me for a "good job" and he didn't wear a suit, he wouldn't get the job... UNLESS he explicitly explains why, cause then at least I know he's aware of the norms.

:ols: That's one of the most hipster-ish comments ive ever heard.

looks like I hit a soft spot, sorry about your tiny pink Bro-hood, bro

:ols:

It's ok though, I'm sure you'll man up one day.

Easily. Arlington is also much worse. I hate hanging out in Arlington.

At least in DC you get a bit of an international flavor to it, unless you are in Georgetown. Hanging out in Arlington reminds me of hanging out at bars in college with the same white dudes in khakis and polo shirts.

U street, H street, Adams Morgan, K street all have some sort of international element, and its not just the Persians either

:ols: I hate Arlington on weekends because all the rednecks from out in the sticks decide to invade it...since you arent white, you may be confusing a yuppie with a wannabe yuppie :pfft:

I dont like going to DC outside of Georgetown and Glover Park....Adams Morgan/U Street/H Street grossed me out...not the kind of culture that suits me. Buddha Bar wasnt bad though.

Let me know where the browns hangout and I'll go there - Aladdin Cafe? Oasis? ;)

all the loathing in this thread is funny :)

I am too old to be hipster or yuppie (not to mention the fact that I live Goptopia---- suburban McLean) ... and the fact that i avoided entering the ranks of the gainfully employed for so long meant that I essentially missed my shot at the yuppie phase, and i have always been too big of a dweeb to be much of a "hipster".

whats funnies is a bunch of hippsters sit in a little hushed groups complaining that the yuppies are looking at down at them because of "X" while a bunch of yuppies are hushed together looking back and whining that the hippsters are looking down at them because of "Y" --- what ever X and Y are (x= tatoos? retro clothes? y= suit? short haircut?)

but I have never had much of a problem getting along with either group... ::shrugs why all the tension?

-----and for the record, I am NOW a bald middle aged white man in a suit in one of the office buildings that replaced all the bars that used to be near china town (the old 930 club, and insect club and 5th column and vault, etc... ) --- and, while i DO bike to work, i have very uncool "brakes" and "gears" on my very un-cool circa 1989 "10-speed"

**edit** for the record-- there are PLENTY of schlubs in both of those demographics that are certainly worth despising (someone pointed out the "30 year old frat boy" or the "30 year old emo filled with loathing of basically everything...") but there are plenty of nuns, or athletes, or bankers, or stock clerks aptly deserving my scorn as well.... you just have to earn it individually :)

Archived