Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is DC now the yuppiest city in the US?

shk75

My intent was not to slam yuppies. Just an observation that after doing a lot of travel recently and then coming back to DC I really was shocked by how yuppified it has become. I think what bothers me personally is that everything has just become so uniform and cookie-cutter. One of the things I loved about DC back in the day was its diversity and its originality. It was not trying to be NYC or Philly or Chicago, it was DC. It had its own music, its own style, its own food. I feel like that is being replaced by chains and yuppies.

I can't disagree with that. I did have to laugh at a "Retro" t-shirt store that opened in Fairfax City that sold $50 mass-produced retro-style shirts.

At the same time though, people look at the past through rose-colored glasses and forget that back then there were fads and trends and people were complaining then about how everything had changed for the worse, just like everyone grows up and complains about the new generations music. There's still tons of independent shops and stores in the area, and still good music coming out of the area, but with the internet and ipods and smartphones and such, style and music spreads so much faster now that areas don't have AS defined of a style as maybe they once did, because their style spreads faster and also gets permeated faster by other styles from other areas.

lolol Hey interesting people (hipsters of any generation, not referring to those in the video) are usually the ones that move into the ****ty neighborhoods because they are cheap, make them fun and cool then the yuppies move in when it's safe and ruin it, then the hipsters move somewhere else. Soho used to be full of artist now its nothing but a giant mall. The east village gave us punk rock while a bunch of crack heads ruled the area, now it's full of nothing but frat boys and nyu kids. Williamsburg was actually a really bad Spanish neighborhood, then the hipsters took it over about 10 years ago and now all the yuppies have ruined it. Now the hipsters are moving to Bushwick and Bed-Stuy, two very bad areas and they will become safe and fun and then the yuppies will move in.

Where I live at now I see this I'm in the still bad area but the nice area keeps getting closer and closer, but it's the hipsters that move in first and then the Park Slope yuppies slowly come in after. 10-15 years from now where I live will be yuppieville to yet just the other day someone got murdered in front of my apartment with a class bottle...

I may be confusing them with Emo's, but don't a large percentage of the hipsters wearing those Buddy Holly glasses...not actually need glasses? It's like wearing thick square rimmed glasses is some kind of fashion statement. What it reminds me of is looking at my dad's old army yearbooks, from when he was in basic at Fort Leonard Wood, etc, and glasses were all the same square, thick, standard issue. Speaking of the army...I have a good idea for what to do with the Emo's...

If you are asking me, i couldnt tell you. I'm a yuppie and proud of it. :)

I agree, exactly my point...seems like people who are self sufficent are now annoying because they support the local economy. Give me a break with this thread.

I may be confusing them with Emo's, but don't a large percentage of the hipsters wearing those Buddy Holly glasses...not actually need glasses? It's like wearing thick square rimmed glasses is some kind of fashion statement. What it reminds me of is looking at my dad's old army yearbooks, from when he was in basic at Fort Leonard Wood, etc, and glasses were all the same square, thick, standard issue. Speaking of the army...I have a good idea for what to do with the Emo's...

When I was living in Japan, more people wear those kind of classes than anywhere else I've ever seen. I'll admit I have a pair but, I actually do wear glasses.

Just curious...what timeframe are you speaking of. I notice that you're 27 and I'm just wondering when your "good old days" occurred where there was that much more diversity/music/style/food? Is it possible that you witnessed things through the eyes of a kid back then and they truly aren't THAT much different?

I know that I lived in North Arlington about 10 years ago and things have changed a little. But all in all, it's just a different breed of young adult who is crawling around those parts now than in 2001. When I lived there, we all went to Mr. Days, Clarendon Ballroom, Clarendon Grill, Whitlows, etc. wearing khakis and button down shirts. Now, they go to some of the newer places wearing bright polos (from the sounds of it), but I'd hardly consider the dynamic any different.

So, anyway...I'm curious what has actually changed in DC during your lifetime?

I mentioned it earlier but off the top of my head: U St, Columbia heights, SW waterfront, H st., and Chinatown. Now I am not saying these are all bad changes and I like the addition of the MCI center to downtown. However, I look at a place like Chinatown and each year it just gets smaller and smaller. Now it was never really big to begin with but it really is just like one block now. You have places like Vapianos taking over which I think has not place in Chinatown but thats just me. I am also latino and I remember the markets in Columbia Heights/Mt. Pleasant and the relationships I had with some of the vendors and I know many that have had their licenses revoked or are being forced out of these areas. In place of these vendors you have stores like Target or Best Buy and to me it just ruins the character of the city.

I mentioned it earlier but off the top of my head: U St, Columbia heights, SW waterfront, H st., and Chinatown. Now I am not saying these are all bad changes and I like the addition of the MCI center to downtown. However, I look at a place like Chinatown and each year it just gets smaller and smaller. Now it was never really big to begin with but it really is just like one block now. You have places like Vapianos taking over which I think has not place in Chinatown but thats just me. I am also latino and I remember the markets in Columbia Heights/Mt. Pleasant and the relationships I had with some of the vendors and I know many that have had their licenses revoked or are being forced out of these areas. In place of these vendors you have stores like Target or Best Buy and to me it just ruins the character of the city.

Thanks...that's good information. I see what you mean. How quickly has this happened? When, for example, do you remember going to markets that are now Targets?

Thanks...that's good information. I see what you mean. How quickly has this happened? When, for example, do you remember going to markets that are now Targets?

You know its funny I can't remember a specific year it started, it was just kind of gradual. I guess if I had to put my finger on it I would say around maybe 2000-2001. I think it just really hit me because I had not been back to DC for a while and I went to visit my family and I was just kind of shocked at how different it had become. I mean it used to just be Georgetown that was like that but now it seems like it's everywhere.

I agree, exactly my point...seems like people who are self sufficent are now annoying because they support the local economy. Give me a break with this thread.

Exactly, they're jealous of us yuppie/hipsters :)

Or is that Yupsters ? Hippies ?

Where I live at now I see this I'm in the still bad area but the nice area keeps getting closer and closer, but it's the hipsters that move in first and then the Park Slope yuppies slowly come in after. 10-15 years from now where I live will be yuppieville to yet just the other day someone got murdered in front of my apartment with a class bottle...

That sounds awesome bro.

Now I know why everyone's so upset with the yuppies moving in. The homicide rate is going down!

You know its funny I can't remember a specific year it started, it was just kind of gradual. I guess if I had to put my finger on it I would say around maybe 2000-2001. I think it just really hit me because I had not been back to DC for a while and I went to visit my family and I was just kind of shocked at how different it had become. I mean it used to just be Georgetown that was like that but now it seems like it's everywhere.

Yeah...sounds good. Again, I wonder how much of it is aligned with you growing up and seeing things from a broader perspective. Maybe not since I don't have an intimate knowledge of the areas you're describing, but if you started noticing this 10-11 years ago (at age 16-17) it would seem to me that you were just opening your eyes from childhood a bit. I see the exact same things now that I did as a child and they seem completely different/smaller/less magical/whatever.

Anyway, it's been an interesting thread!

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 01:59 PM ----------

It doesn't bother yuppies that you guys don't like them and root for them to fail. Even if they do, you have to go back to your same life and personal problems while they can still live they way they live.

Yeah...sounds good. Again, I wonder how much of it is aligned with you growing up and seeing things from a broader perspective. Maybe not since I don't have an intimate knowledge of the areas you're describing, but if you started noticing this 10-11 years ago (at age 16-17) it would seem to me that you were just opening your eyes from childhood a bit. I see the exact same things now that I did as a child and they seem completely different/smaller/less magical/whatever.

Anyway, it's been an interesting thread!

Yeah that is definitely a possibility that is why I kind of started this thread to see if it was just me or if others seemed to agree, because like I said compared to other cities DC seems to be more yuppified and I don't remember it being that way.

Yeah that is definitely a possibility that is why I kind of started this thread to see if it was just me or if others seemed to agree, because like I said compared to other cities DC seems to be more yuppified and I don't remember it being that way.

Makes sense...I think another good point that was brought up in this thread that could support your viewpoint is the job situation. DC has been more or less insulated from the poor economy and really only has white collar jobs. Compared to other cities in the country, it is probably more yuppied up than ever (on a relative scale).

That sounds awesome bro.

Now I know why everyone's so upset with the yuppies moving in. The homicide rate is going down!

Yeah but I like it when the area is still a little dangerous. It keeps the big name stores away and is cheaper for the people to start Independent bars/restaurants/stores, which gives an area charm instead of just being a big mall. Yet when the yuppies move in, all those places that gave the area it's charm get priced out so some chain store can move in.

For an example the bowery in Manhattan, which someone else mentioned in the topples girls in public thread, CBGB's used to be there and they got priced out for a ****ing handbag store, I mean CBGB's!! Too this day that still upsets me. Now right near there Mars Bar is getting priced out so they can build a condo building... All the places that were cool in that area that made people want to live there in the first place are going away or already are gone.

All the places that were cool in that area that made people want to live there in the first place are going away or already are gone.

But you have to understand that you're fighting supply and demand. You're obviously in the minority of people who want those types of things in order to live somewhere. If not, they wouldn't be replaced. If more people truly wanted the independent bars/stores over the chains, they'd win out, right?

Just curious...what timeframe are you speaking of. I notice that you're 27 and I'm just wondering when your "good old days" occurred where there was that much more diversity/music/style/food? Is it possible that you witnessed things through the eyes of a kid back then and they truly aren't THAT much different?

I know that I lived in North Arlington about 10 years ago and things have changed a little. But all in all, it's just a different breed of young adult who is crawling around those parts now than in 2001. When I lived there, we all went to Mr. Days, Clarendon Ballroom, Clarendon Grill, Whitlows, etc. wearing khakis and button down shirts. Now, they go to some of the newer places wearing bright polos (from the sounds of it), but I'd hardly consider the dynamic any different.

So, anyway...I'm curious what has actually changed in DC during your lifetime?

Arlington has changed more than a little but I agree that the general type of person you'd see in Clarendon in 2000 and 2011 hasn't changed much, it's just the sheer numbers that are amazing. And the amount of stuff that has gone up in the last 10 years. Amazing. My parents were saying when they moved to Arlington in '86 there was pretty much just Tower Villas and those two twins in Rosslyn.

That massive apartment building next to the VA Square Metro used to be the non-paved gravel parking lot we parked in for church.

It's really incredible how much they've changed the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in the last 10 years alone even though the development began in the 80's.

It's more the sheer number of people that you see as opposed to the type. Do you remember Kaleidoscope, the arcade/mini golf place that used to be in Clarendon?

As previously pointed out in this thread, hipsters are the absolute worst. Almost every single hipster I have come across has that arrogant douchebag air around them fueled by their false sense of superiority over others and what they see as conformist, while they fail to realize they are just as "conformist." A lot of the ones I have been around also leach off of their parents while going to community college or are dropped out of school completely with no direction in life, just drinking PBR and listening to "better" music that no one else has heard of.

I can hang out with anyone, but hipsters I can't stand at all.

Rant off, haha.

It doesn't bother yuppies that you guys don't like them and root for them to fail. Even if they do, you have to go back to your same life and personal problems while they can still live they way they live.

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

Arlington has changed more than a little but I agree that the general type of person you'd see in Clarendon in 2000 and 2011 hasn't changed much, it's just the sheer numbers that are amazing. And the amount of stuff that has gone up in the last 10 years. Amazing. My parents were saying when they moved to Arlington in '86 there was pretty much just Tower Villas and those two twins in Rosslyn.

That massive apartment building next to the VA Square Metro used to be the non-paved gravel parking lot we parked in for church.

It's really incredible how much they've changed the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in the last 10 years alone even though the development began in the 80's.

It's more the sheer number of people that you see as opposed to the type. Do you remember Kaleidoscope, the arcade/mini golf place that used to be in Clarendon?

Yeah...I probably undersold the physical different in Arlington a bit. There are blocks that I don't recognize and I spent three years living, working, eating, drinking, etc. there. As you said though, it's the same type of young professional, just possibly a little more flashy and ****y than I was 10 years ago!

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 02:25 PM ----------

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

If what I've learned about hipsters today is true, they might not know the reference at all.

I'm only bothered by hipsters and yuppies I meet because almost all of them are going out of their way to act like that and fit in with a group while at the same time pretending that everybody else in the world is a toolbox because they do things to fit in with groups.

I could see it now, hipsters watching me and some co-workers walking past them wearing suits and ties, not covered in tattoo's because nobody would hire us, with acceptable haircuts for our place of business, with well maintained facial hair, and no piercings showing at the least because it isn't allowed. "What a bunch of corporate robots!" They say to their friends who are all wearing generally the same ensemble of skinny jeans and 3-4 things (hats, shirts, glasses, accessories) which are considered edgy, retro, or ironic. "They all look alike and work jobs they hate for the man!" say the yupsters. "They don't know how to be different and individualistic like us! Now lets all go to the coffee shop on our fixed gear bicycles and use our i-pads and talk about our favorite indie movies that nobody cares about!"

Its like they're trying to be different from "normal" people because they don't like everyone being the same. Then they make friends with a whole bunch of people who are exactly the same as them, only they don't realize what they've done and keep pretending like each of them is a unique individual when they're just doing the same thing that everyone else has to do, they're just wearing different clothes and ****.

Sure there are yuppies and hipsters or the dreaded yupsters who don't do this intentionally and simply arrive at the same place as everyone else by their own choices and decisions rather than a conscious effort to be part of a group or trend, just like I wear suits because I look good and respectable in them, I keep my hair cut neatly because it looks way better than when its messy and all over the place. I don't have tattoos and piercings because I've never had the desire to get any. It sucks for anybody to get lumped in with a large group of people when they aren't actually trying to, but I guess thats just the way life is huh?

But you have to understand that you're fighting supply and demand. You're obviously in the minority of people who want those types of things in order to live somewhere. If not, they wouldn't be replaced. If more people truly wanted the independent bars/stores over the chains, they'd win out, right?

Well I think the main problem is because landlords want to cash in. A lot of the great places in NYC that thankfully are still here is because they own the building. There is going to be a almost endless supply and demand for those chain stores because there is 8.5 million people living here, but trust me, almost every single person I know or have meet feels similar to me about this situation. Personally, I'd rather go to a corner store and pay a little bit more than going to a CVS and while I see the benefits of having a place like CVS near by there is a big difference in having one or to in the neighborhood and having one on every block, or in some cases in Midtown one on almost every single corner. Substitute CVS for Duane Reade in those examples.

I'm only bothered by hipsters and yuppies I meet because almost all of them are going out of their way to act like that and fit in with a group while at the same time pretending that everybody else in the world is a toolbox because they do things to fit in with groups.

I could see it now, hipsters watching me and some co-workers walking past them wearing suits and ties, not covered in tattoo's because nobody would hire us, with acceptable haircuts for our place of business, with well maintained facial hair, and no piercings showing at the least because it isn't allowed. "What a bunch of corporate robots!" They say to their friends who are all wearing generally the same ensemble of skinny jeans and 3-4 things (hats, shirts, glasses, accessories) which are considered edgy, retro, or ironic. "They all look alike and work jobs they hate for the man!" say the yupsters. "They don't know how to be different and individualistic like us! Now lets all go to the coffee shop on our fixed gear bicycles and use our i-pads and talk about our favorite indie movies that nobody cares about!"

Its like they're trying to be different from "normal" people because they don't like everyone being the same. Then they make friends with a whole bunch of people who are exactly the same as them, only they don't realize what they've done and keep pretending like each of them is a unique individual when they're just doing the same thing that everyone else has to do, they're just wearing different clothes and ****.

Sure there are yuppies and hipsters or the dreaded yupsters who don't do this intentionally and simply arrive at the same place as everyone else by their own choices and decisions rather than a conscious effort to be part of a group or trend, just like I wear suits because I look good and respectable in them, I keep my hair cut neatly because it looks way better than when its messy and all over the place. I don't have tattoos and piercings because I've never had the desire to get any. It sucks for anybody to get lumped in with a large group of people when they aren't actually trying to, but I guess thats just the way life is huh?

I think you are confused on what a yuppie is. A yuppie would be the guy in the suit, with the hair cut, going off to his corporate job.

Archived