Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**VIDEO** Teacher Punches Student In The Face.

DM72

I don't agree. The kids I see today are much more thoughtful and less spoiled than my generation was, IMO.

Everyone knows Baby Boomers were the worst. But my firm just had us doing some generational training and it's amazing how true these stereotypes are. I find it mandatory training for all of us to understand the differences in generation. Obviously, lumping such large groups together leaves something to be desired but the overall gist is true.

The one constant theme seems to be more dependence on one's parents and lesser respect for authority, each growing from generation to generation. It's as if the baby boomers started this trend away from their parents, what the "traditionalists" morals were, and each generation takes it further away. Now, I'm sure that's been the case throughout history, and of course, the traditionalists left the Babys, Xers and so on with reasons to feel entitled, however, maybe I'm getting old, but I can't see this as a sustainable course.

Everyone knows Baby Boomers were the worst. But my firm just had us doing some generational training and it's amazing how true these stereotypes are. I find it mandatory training for all of us to understand the differences in generation. Obviously, lumping such large groups together leaves something to be desired but the overall gist is true.

The one constant theme seems to be more dependence on one's parents and lesser respect for authority, each growing from generation to generation. It's as if the baby boomers started this trend away from their parents, what the "traditionalists" morals were, and each generation takes it further away. Now, I'm sure that's been the case throughout history, and of course, the traditionalists left the Babys, Xers and so on with reasons to feel entitled, however, maybe I'm getting old, but I can't see this as a sustainable course.

Older people have been complaining about the lack of respect from young people since the beginning to time. It never, ever changes.

We are incapable of remembering what little :pooh: 's we all were at that age. Every single one of us.

That was a guy and he was bigger than her. He got in her face and she defended herself. Yes he never touched her, but his actions were of a threating nature. After all the **** I have read in the Tailgate, I have decided I am never having children.

You're not alone. I don't want to bring anymore of those demons into this world.

Not sure how I feel about this one. He didn't physically attack her. he got in her space which is definitely a no-go, but a push for space would have sufficed in that situation, I think.

Now putting aside for a moment that you once said that a teacher only gets respect from you once they've earned it by giving it to you first, let me ask you this:

Honestly, if this female teacher pushes a larger male student to "get some space" how does this confrontation end in your mind? If she pushes him out of her way, does he simply calm down, say "Oh, my actions seemed threatening and you were feeling crowded? Why, that wasn't at all my intention, ma'am. Allow me to rectify this awkward situation by promptly and politely returning to my seat and quietly paying attention."? Especially with what was essentially an entire classroom full of his peers backing him up in his hostile actions?

Now putting aside for a moment that you once said that a teacher only gets respect from you once they've earned it by giving it to you first, let me ask you this:

Honestly, if this female teacher pushes a larger male student to "get some space" how does this confrontation end in your mind? If she pushes him out of her way, does he simply calm down, say "Oh, my actions seemed threatening and you were feeling crowded? Why, that wasn't at all my intention, ma'am. Allow me to rectify this awkward situation by promptly and politely returning to my seat and quietly paying attention."? Especially with what was essentially an entire classroom full of his peers backing him up in his hostile actions?

I'm not sure that the other students were backing him up in his hostile actions - until she swung at him.

The tape I saw doesn't go that far back. :whoknows:

Older people have been complaining about the lack of respect from young people since the beginning to time. It never, ever changes.

We are incapable of remembering what little :pooh: 's we all were at that age. Every single one of us.

Perhaps they are right.

I'm not sure that the other students were backing him up in his hostile actions - until she swung at him.

The tape I saw doesn't go that far back. :whoknows:

I'll admit that was an assumption. I hate the pull this card, but here's my anecdotal evidence for what I said:

I'm a substitute teacher. I've seen in my own class and in the classrooms of other teachers how all it takes is 1 kid getting away with something for the rest to do it. And it's usually the "problem kids" that act up with encouragement from at least 3-4 friends as some backup morale. And you can be sure that any kid that is pushing his boundaries and directly challenging authority is going to have the undivided attention of the entire class. Hell, I once had to send a well-behaved model student to the office because they left class (they had left something in their locker, which was right outside the door, and I was distracted with another student), and I overheard other kids talking about trying the same stunt to get out of 10 or 15 minutes of class. Now I'm 6'0 and 235 lbs, but that doesn't mean there aren't a handful of students that I suspect could thoroughly kick my ass if they managed to get me cornered like this woman was (the major drawback to being a sub is that I'm not part of the Teacher's Union and would be completely on my own if this happened to me).

It's simply human nature to push your boundaries, especially as you're becoming an adult and forming your identity. I was probably over the line in saying that all the kids were explicitly backing up this punk (no, I won't mince terms, that's what he is), but I'd bet most of them were secretly hoping he'd somehow win this showdown. In that case, her credibility and authority are shot and these kids own that classroom. After all, the kids "know" that she can't say anything bad about him or physically restrain him. They sounded shocked that she could possibly consider physically defending herself an option.

Now in all fairness, if this situation had occurred with some guy roughly my size/age as the teacher, I'd say he probably crossed a line by swinging at the kid. And even though I abhor double standards, I'd have to say I give the old, short woman the benefit of the doubt I wouldn't give the young, physically prime guy.

It's simply human nature to push your boundaries, especially as you're becoming an adult and forming your identity. I was probably over the line in saying that all the kids were explicitly backing up this punk (no, I won't mince terms, that's what he is), but I'd bet most of them were secretly hoping he'd somehow win this showdown. In that case, her credibility and authority are shot and these kids own that classroom. After all, the kids "know" that she can't say anything bad about him or physically restrain him. They sounded shocked that she could possibly consider physically defending herself an option.

I think you may have become cynical about what kids secretly hope for.

I think you may have become cynical about what kids secretly hope for.

Possibly. And between subbing and student teaching I've only been at it for about 4 years. I guess it's like with anything else: it's easier to focus on/remember the negatives. I remember the 2-3 times I've had to physically break up a fight outside my door (in PA, teachers are allowed to physically intervene to stop a fight, as long as it's only to restrain the kids) much easier than I remember the 90% of my days that I've come and gone without a hitch. But I'm also kind of a cynical person in general (I blame the Redskins and the Orioles in part for that :ols: ). Hell, I haven't even sniffed a regular teaching job yet and I'm wondering if it's what I want to do.

Possibly. And between subbing and student teaching I've only been at it for about 4 years. I guess it's like with anything else: it's easier to focus on/remember the negatives. I remember the 2-3 times I've had to physically break up a fight outside my door (in PA, teachers are allowed to physically intervene to stop a fight, as long as it's only to restrain the kids) much easier than I remember the 90% of my days that I've come and gone without a hitch. But I'm also kind of a cynical person in general (I blame the Redskins and the Orioles in part for that :ols: ). Hell, I haven't even sniffed a regular teaching job yet and I'm wondering if it's what I want to do.

Fair enough. I know I couldn't handle that job.

Nevertheless, I have a 14 year old, and I am certain that the kids at her school are harder working, more mature, more focused and more respectful than my generation was. I see it every day. I'm also certain that problem children and torublemakers always will be with us as well.

Not sure how I feel about this one. He didn't physically attack her. he got in her space which is definitely a no-go, but a push for space would have sufficed in that situation, I think.

He backed her up to a wall and he was still moving forward. If she could have retreated further, I would say she shouldn't have punched him.

That second punch landed just right. :)

were you putting it aside, you wouldn't have brought it up in the first place, so I feel compelled to address that point. By nature, I am mostly respectful as a neutral state. If I am shown mutual respect, I respond positively and I can would be helpful, respectful, etc.. If not shown mutual respect, then that person does not deserve my respect and I will prefer to avoid the presence of said person. In a school environment, however, I am forced upon these people, and the result is I will make it my job to make that teacher's job a nightmare within the boundaries of the rules. I studied many supreme court cases on the subject so that I knew what I could and could not do as well as what the teacher could and could not do and used that to my advantage. If they didn't want me to act that way, they could have been less of an ******* (such as the one teacher who kept giving me 0s on homework assignments because she hated my brother). I have nothing against the profession of teaching, and have had many teachers whom I had the utmost respect for, and that is because they showed their students a mutual respect and it facilitated a great learning environment. I never asked to be treated as equals, just mutual respect.

NOW, onto the subject at hand.

I do not know where it ends. Not seeing this video, I couldn't tell you how it ends being told she punched him and he didn't go down. Personally, I think if I'm pissed and I'm punched in the face and I'm not dazed, I'm going into a fury of fists. A push, not so much.

And, as I stated in my original post, "I'm not sure how I feel about this", not "This teacher is a terrible person and should be in prison for assaulting an innocent child".

No one has mentioned this was the 2nd time he approached her(before the video started) and the first time he gave her a chest bump. If that's not physical than I don't know what is. Then he comes in again, no wrong on her part.

He backed her up to a wall and he was still moving forward. If she could have retreated further, I would say she shouldn't have punched him.

That second punch landed just right. :)

A lesson in why you should never corner someone. If given no option to escape, they're always going to fight back with more force than they otherwise would have.

And that kid who said "you can't do that!" got on my nerves more than anything. Sis, the teacher CAN do that, she has every right to defend herself. It's YOU who can't get up in her face and act like you own her. Show some respect.

Archived