Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should baseball ban collisions at the plate?

MattFancy

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Well it's banned Everywhere except the majors

I remember my team getting DQ for one of our guys running over a catcher a couple of years ago..,umpire stopped the game just like that

I wouldn't have too much of a problem is MLB decides to ban them. However, you rarely see them in the game as it is. Most of these guys know full well that if the other team even slightly perceives a collision being dirty, or unnecessary, that there will be repercusions. Plus these guys have the utmost respect for one another. You rarely ever see a dirty play at the plate. That's why I think they should just leave it alone. Let the players police the game themselves. Afterall, its been done that way for over a 100 years.

You've obviously never been a middle infielder with guys sliding into second, trying to take you out. Or standing in the batter's box, with a pitcher throwing inside to you at 90 mph+.

There are more physical aspects of baseball than just the collisions at home. And hell, try being a catcher some day. Those guys get beat up all the hell every game.

Never played the game before, huh?

Ahh Bubble Screen, always showing your ignorance :ols:

I played baseball from the time I was 4 through starting on my varsity team in high school.

Suprised no one was mentioned sliding into a base with your spikes up. That might be THE dirtiest play in all of baseball. And probably the worst guy for doing this ..damn it...his name escapes me at the moment. He's played for several teams in his career. I think currently he might not be on a roster. I last saw him with the Royals...He also played with the Nats, and I think, Giants.

Anyway, this guy came sliding into 3rd base one day with Chipper waiting to take the throw. It was OBVIOUS that he meant to do it, as he had a reputation for doing it. Chipper is a pretty mellow guy. But he looked like he was about to tear the guy a new one.

I wanna say this guy's first name was Jose.

---------- Post added May-27th-2011 at 12:35 AM ----------

Ahh Bubble Screen, always showing your ignorance :ols:

I played baseball from the time I was 4 through starting on my varsity team in high school.

Then you should have known better than to make the stupid comment you made.

Then you should have known better than to make the stupid comment you made.

Don't get so offended Mr. Selig. Outside of collisions at home plate and base runners trying to take out/interfere with a SS or 2B, there isn't much physical contact in baseball. That's just the way it is.

Don't get so offended Mr. Selig. Outside of collisions at home plate and base runners trying to take out/interfere with a SS or 2B, there isn't much physical contact in baseball. That's just the way it is.

Leave the name-calling out of this. You're the one that claims to have played the game all your life, yet think collisions at the plate are the only physical aspect of it.

Leave the name-calling out of this. You're the one that claims to have played the game all your life, yet think collisions at the plate are the only physical aspect of it.

:rotflmao:

Nevermind, you are more of a Mr. Goodell (no fun for you!). There's not much physicality in baseball. Don't even try to pretend there is. Trust me, in 14 years of playing it I think I'd be able to state that with some knowledge of it. Of the world's major sports - basketball, football, hockey, soccer, and baseball - baseball is easily the least physical.

:rotflmao:

Nevermind, you are more of a Mr. Goodell (no fun for you!). There's not much physicality in baseball. Don't even try to pretend there is. Trust me, in 14 years of playing it I think I'd be able to state that with some knowledge of it. Of the world's major sports - basketball, football, hockey, soccer, and baseball - baseball is easily the least physical.

I never said there was a LOT of physicality in baseball. Don't put words in my mouth. I simply corrected you that collisions at the plate weren't the ONLY physical aspects of the game. You should have simply acknowledged you were wrong, and moved on.

I never said there was a LOT of physicality in baseball. Don't put words in my mouth. I simply corrected you that collisions at the plate weren't the ONLY physical aspects of the game. You should have simply acknowledged you were wrong, and moved on.

You are really something else man :doh:

No, because that's not a part of the game. And if a guy did that, he would get drilled in the middle of the back next time up.

You can make a legal, hard slide within the paths, though.

What do you mean it's not part of the game? The guy is blocking a base I want to get to.

---------- Post added May-27th-2011 at 05:48 AM ----------

Nope. Simple solution. Don't place your stud young all-star as a catcher.

It is why Bryce Harper will never see one day at catcher.

That's not why Harper is moving from catcher to the OF. It's because of the pounding his knees and back would take while playing the position. Add to that foul tips off of the fingers, toes, arms, head, inner legs, etc.

Getting run over, as some have mentioned here, doesn't happen that often in a game. All of the other pounding to the body happens every at bat.

This is a sport in which someone is allowed to throw a rock hard sphere within a hair of someone else's chin at 100+mph.. it would seem rather silly to make contact illegal.

~Bang

Exactly right. What legal retribution do hitters have after a pitchers tries to take their head off? Hard legal slides and running over the catcher is the only options they have. As long as they aren't throwing elbows or taking cheap shots, it's perfectly fine. It's a shame that Posey got hurt so bad.

Listen

Doyler is a good guy but come on dude, it's part of the game. How many times do you see a game and a guy tries to score on a play and rams into the catcher? Happens all the time.

The play by that Marlins guy was clean. It sucks that Posey got hurt and his season's over, but let's not start BANNING contact plays at the plate because one guy got hurt.

Let's leave that to the NFL ;)

Its part of the game IMO. After the game, Cosuins had a good explanation for why he did it. He said it was in extras and he was trying to win the game. Posey was blocking the plate so if he wanted to score, he had to run into him.

If Posey didn't get hurt, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Listen

Doyler is a good guy but come on dude, it's part of the game. How many times do you see a game and a guy tries to score on a play and rams into the catcher? Happens all the time.

I was talking about blowing up the infielder on the other bases. At home, it's OK. But if there's a double play ball and if you aren't in position to make a hard slide, you can't just run through and tackle the shortstop. I think someone misread my post about doing it at other bases.

What do you mean it's not part of the game? The guy is blocking a base I want to get to.

When's the last time you saw an infielder, square up to block a bag? At 3rd, if I was blocking, I was dropping a knee to stop a guy on a slide. It's of no benefit for a runner to come into 2nd or 3rd, in a tag situation, guns hot. Home plate is it, you touch it, you score. If you run over a shortstop and he drops the ball, you're still going to have to find your way back to the base, and he's usually got someone backing him up close by. Also, if you overrun the bag to a ridiculous extent, you're going to get called out for leaving the baseline. Throw in the increased risk of injury, and you're pretty much better off trying your luck in a rundown.

No, its a legal collission. I played catcher all through hs, and it happens there as well, although it depends on the umpire to call it. The runner could have slid but would open himself up to injury if posey had lunged at his legs with the ball, all his body weight and the catcher's gear dropping on a knee is not as fun as it sounds.

No, its a legal collission. I played catcher all through hs, and it happens there as well, although it depends on the umpire to call it. The runner could have slid but would open himself up to injury if posey had lunged at his legs with the ball, all his body weight and the catcher's gear dropping on a knee is not as fun as it sounds.

As a former catcher myself, there was nothing better than blocking the plate and getting someone out. Even better when they would try to run you over and you stood your ground. Personally, I think its dumb for the runner to try and take out the catcher just for the simple fact that the catcher is the one with the gear on.

That's not why Harper is moving from catcher to the OF. It's because of the pounding his knees and back would take while playing the position. Add to that foul tips off of the fingers, toes, arms, head, inner legs, etc.

Getting run over, as some have mentioned here, doesn't happen that often in a game. All of the other pounding to the body happens every at bat.

Which is why I'm shocked that Joe Mauer still plays catcher.

Which is why I'm shocked that Joe Mauer still plays catcher.

Take a look at how many games Mauer has played this year, looks like it may be catching up to him. I don't think he'll be catching much longer. Its hard for catcher to have long careers. The strain you put on your knees and back sucks. I mean I played catcher for about 5 or 6 years and it made my knees hurt. I can't even fathom how someone like Pudge can still do it.

Archived