Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Has any past or present player ever been worth TWO first round draft picks?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Pretty sure it was a joke... But then again your HAil at the end shows that you may in fact know that :P

For one so young (say's the oh so 10 year older senior, lol); very little gets past you does it KD my good man?

*Makes mental note to be more subtle.

---------- Post added May-26th-2011 at 07:31 AM ----------

That punter has a passing rating and better efficiency than most HOF QBs I'll have you know. Who else is man enough to stand up to the swinging gate?

:ols: Sharp B. Very sharp.

Hail.

Only in hindsight is a player worth two first round picks. Placed in the correct scheme with the correct personnel surrounding him, Tom Brady was worth one sixth round pick when drafted, not two first round picks. If Drew Brees had not been injured, Brady would have been a backup his entire career. In hindsight, Brady was worth two Ryan Leafs easily. When they were drafted, no player is worth that. Was Marino worth Darrell Green and the next year's first? Maybe in hindsight, but not in the reality of the draft.

The harder question is, is there any player in the NFL currently worth your next two first round picks given the amount of career they have left? The answer would have to be no, Two picks for OchoCinco was touted on this board as the next step to winning. In hindsight, it was another sign of the stupidity that gripped this team for so long. Vinny claims it was his idea, but the Vinny apple was never far from the Dan tree. There was some stupidity in that tree that ran this organization into the ground. This was just one of the signs of it.

Well, I see I'm in the minority on this one, and that's fine. I just don't think any one player is worth that price. Perhaps I'm seeing this through the eyes of a weary Redskins fan who just found out the former man in front of the team was ready to trade away two firsts for Chad Ochocinco. I'm fine with bringing in a star free agent to supplement a team that is ready to make a run, but all I can say if you trade two firsts for a player like that.

You better be right.

For a franchise type QB I would, but it's rare a fanchise type QB becomes available. A lot of factors have to go into play as to why this QB is available.

I mean the skilled positions it would be a no no for me.

I can think of 2 WR's that were traded for 2 first round picks. Did they do enough to warrant the trade?

Keyshawn Johnson to the Bucs for 2 first rounders.

Joey Galloway to the Pukes for 2 first rounders.

Ironically these two players were traded for each other 4 years later.

A young, proven franchise QB is worth 2 first-rounders, for two reasons:

1. It's the most important, and most impactful, position on the field, and

2. The bust rate is so high for college QBs, so if you're offered an established pro QB with proven elite talent, 2 first-rounders is definitely a fair price. You could easily blow those same two picks trying to find a QB in the draft, and come up empty (hello, Redskins!).

That all being said, how many times does a team allow it's young franchise QB to be traded? Unless you've got two hot QBs, you'd be foolish to accept 2 first rounders for a guy like Rodgers or Rivers.

Without a doubt. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers. Brady and Manning maybe aren't worth 2 first rounders today but they were 3-4 years ago while Rodgers and Rivers are both worth 2 right now.

so only for those two in the entire NFL would you even consider this move. Let's see, Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, and Ochocinco? One of those three doesn't belong. :ols:

The thing is even those who say there are players worth that price, they are only naming a handful at the most. Like I said, you wouldn't do this unless you were completely convinced this move would be successful. I don't even know if I'd be that convinced with Brady or Manning. The odds of failure are just too great. I'd rather gamble on home grown talent.

Well, I see I'm in the minority on this one, and that's fine. I just don't think any one player is worth that price.

An elite QB is worth the price. Do you think Colts would've had anywhere near the success they've had without Manning? The Pats proved they were more than just the Tom Brady Show when they went 11-5 without him a few years back, but I don't see the Colts without Manning being all that great. An elite QB is practically a guaranteed 8 wins, minimum (with a few exceptions).

Ok, can anybody name one trade of this nature that was so overwhelmingly successful that the player ended up being worth the price?

Chris Samuels was a great player for us for a lot of years, but was he worth two first round picks? How many Super Bowl wins did we get while he was here? For me the only validation of a trade like this would be a Super Bowl win before the player you traded for retires. Anything short is a waste, because you could have likely achieved the same result without that player if your team is that close anyway.

Dave Butz

When the Redskins signed him on Aug. 5, 1975, they had to relinquish two first round and one second round draft pick, while also receiving fifth, sixth and 15th round picks.

He was well worth it. The problem is that you never know how a certain player will perform in a different system. For the record, there are plenty of players who are worth two first round picks. The problem is they aren't available. I would trade two #1s in a heartbeat for Aaron Rodgers. I would not do it for Peyton Manning just because he's already 35 years old. And no, Chad Johnson is not one of those players.

Ok, can anybody name one trade of this nature that was so overwhelmingly successful that the player ended up being worth the price?

Chris Samuels was a great player for us for a lot of years, but was he worth two first round picks? How many Super Bowl wins did we get while he was here? For me the only validation of a trade like this would be a Super Bowl win before the player you traded for retires. Anything short is a waste, because you could have likely achieved the same result without that player if your team is that close anyway.

Jay Cutler.

He fell one game short of the SB, two years after the trade; but he's starting to more than show the worth of the trade to the Bears IMHO. Next year he'll be in the second year of Martz's QB friendly O, with the Bears upgrading the line with their first pick a book-end LT after they gave up a league high 56 sacks last year.

Dude's only gona' get better.

Hail.

Well, even those saying Yes are more or less only naming 5 to 10 players who would have been worth such a deal. Shows just how rare a deal like that should be if it's ever made, and for a player who's abilities transcend the game.

If you catch lightning in a bottle, great. Odds are you wouldn't. I'm not much of a gambler.

An elite QB is worth the price. Do you think Colts would've had anywhere near the success they've had without Manning? The Pats proved they were more than just the Tom Brady Show when they went 11-5 without him a few years back, but I don't see the Colts without Manning being all that great. An elite QB is practically a guaranteed 8 wins, minimum (with a few exceptions).

I really doubt that a player is worth 2 others of the same caliber. Here the trick is not to think if you want to trade 2 picks for Rodgers, Manning or whoever you think is worth it.

But do you trade Manning for an Orakpo and aKerrigan? Or an Orakpo and a Sean Taylor for Manning?

Sure not every first will end up being All-Pro, but usually they're good players at the very least.

So to me, it's definately worth it. It might seem great on the moment, but in the end, you're losing IMO.

Trading picks to go up in a draft is another matter though.

the only thing people are saying is qb and i agree hof qbs are worth 2 first round picks. i also would say guys like jerry rice in his prime randy moss in his prime. i would give 2 first for barry sanders. you can make bold moves like this and be succesfull you just have to be that much better in the later rounds. i would argue mike shannahan and his past drafts could do this well enough to justify getting a bonify hof player.

all hof qbs

barry sanders, emmit (even if i hate him)

jerry rice and randy moss

no te or fb

no lineman

reggie white

no dt

lawrence taylor

ray lewis,

darrell green, deon sanders

ronnie lott

The answer here depends on the team in question

Was Reggie White worth 2 First Rounders to the Packers? Depends. If you think a Superbowl is worth 2 first rounders then the answer there is yes.

I don't think that you can look at a guy and say he's worth it or not worth it based on his ability alone. Was Dan Marino worth two first round picks? Talent alone the answer is hell yes. Was Barry Sanders worth two first round picks? Talent alone, answer is hell yes. But neither of these guys ever won a superbowl.

If Barry Sanders was offered to us in 1987 (I know he was in college then but imagine with me) when we needed a RB and had a hell of a team full of talent would you have taken the deal? Or in the same time peroid if Marino was offered to us back then would you take that deal? My answer to both would be yes.

However if you asked me about either of those guys on this 2011 team my answer would have to be No because we aren't a QB or a RB away from going deep in the playoffs today like we were in 1987. The timing of the answer depends on the team trading for that player.

You're kidding ... right?

Check out our 1999 OT's:

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/washington-redskins/roster/1999

We traded the 16th and 24th to San Francisco and they took:

16 (16) San Francisco 49ers - Julian Peterson, LB Michigan State

24 (24) San Francisco 49ers - Ahmed Plummer, DB Ohio State

Sounds like a good deal to me.

:helmet:The Rook

He was well worth it. The problem is that you never know how a certain player will perform in a different system. For the record, there are plenty of players who are worth two first round picks. The problem is they aren't available. I would trade two #1s in a heartbeat for Aaron Rodgers. I would not do it for Peyton Manning just because he's already 35 years old. And no, Chad Johnson is not one of those players.

Yeah, Butz was absolutely well worth it. I forgot he played until he was 39. 39! Dude was a beast.

Archived