Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Beck highlights from NFL.com (Ravens preseason game)

wilbur58z

0-4 in regular season games though.
Brady or Manning likely would have been as well with that Dolphins team :)

To the OP, thanks for posting! He had some real zip on some of those passes. Regardless of whether he's the starter or not, I'm looking forward to seeing how he competes in preseason should it ever happen.

0-4 in regular season games though.

With one of the worst teams in the history of the NFL. Why don't you watch him with a medium competent team and then judge? You can't seriously take anything from that abortion in Miami!

Beck played the entire game. He went 16/28 for 232 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also had 4 runs for 23 yards. He looked impressive in this video.

One never knows what Shanny is really thinking, but maybe he is right about Beck. It will be interesting to see how Beck does in the preseason, if there is a preseason.

With one of the worst teams in the history of the NFL. Why don't you watch him with a medium competent team and then judge? You can't seriously take anything from that abortion in Miami!
I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he played his only four games as a part of the 07 Dolphins. But call me crazy, but I'm hesitant to put my faith in a QB who hasn't been in a regular season game in four years, whom we initially acquired via trade for Doug Dutch. So his value equivalent was a CB with four less NFL games than Beck under his belt.

You have to take preseason performance with a grain of salt, and then some. Look at Marcus Mason, a recent Redskins example. Led the league in preseason rushing yards a few years ago, and his only playing time as a pro came as a spell RB for a few games when Portis went down in 09.

The three QBs on our roster are, in my view, not "the QB of the future." That being said, I'd be much more comfortable with McNabb or Grossman at the helm this upcoming season (if).

:ols: Nice.

Anyway, I'm never going by preseason film. Campbell looked damned good quite a few times. Call it shell shock.

I sure do hope that he turns out to be our guy for the next seven years or so. I would love it.

I like what I saw. Yes, it is preseason, but you can see what Shanny and Co like about him. He can scramble and has a good enough arm. I didn't see enough reference his accuracy, but I didn't see anything would indicate an issue.

That said, the highlights do not show me if he can quickly read NFL defenses on a consistent basis. Being a smart guy doesn't mean anything. You either have the talent or you don't.

It just sucks that we can't see and hear about him during the off season with the first team offense.

Wow, I hadn't really payed much attention to him but their was some definite positives in that video. I also realize this was probably mostly against second and third string guy's, but their was still a ton of accuracy, control, and even more strength than I expected. Also, he has a little bit of speed when he tucks it and runs. This could be very beneficial until we sure up the OL, plus he knows how to slide, not... every... QB.... knows.... how... to... slide. :)

I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he played his only four games as a part of the 07 Dolphins. But call me crazy, but I'm hesitant to put my faith in a QB who hasn't been in a regular season game in four years, whom we initially acquired via trade for Doug Dutch. So his value equivalent was a CB with four less NFL games than Beck under his belt.

You have to take preseason performance with a grain of salt, and then some. Look at Marcus Mason, a recent Redskins example. Led the league in preseason rushing yards a few years ago, and his only playing time as a pro came as a spell RB for a few games when Portis went down in 09.

The three QBs on our roster are, in my view, not "the QB of the future." That being said, I'd be much more comfortable with McNabb or Grossman at the helm this upcoming season (if).

See your side, but I think comparing a QB in preseason is a little different than a RB. In this video, the things you take away from it are things that have nothing to do with the competition. 1. Quick Release 2. Ability to move out of the pocket 3. Deep ball placement. These are small samples, but positive ones. As of right now, Id feel more confident with him as our starter than Grossman. Weve seen Grossmans ceiling and his propensity for turnovers. Beck gives us a little more hope, albeit because theres a huge unknown. We will see but nothing about Rex excites me or gives me confidence.

Beck is a decent back up. Whether he's quality NFL starting material has yet to be seen. I like the fact that he's eager to be the starting QB of the Washington Redskins, but the question I have is "Is Beck or Grossman truly a upgrade or downgrade from McNabb? It's safe to say that out of the three QBs, McNabb is by far the best. Mike Shanahan also said that it takes a QB three years to fully learn the playbook and grasp this offense. So, why would Mike Shanahan look past McNabb after just one season?

It's safe to say that out of the three QBs, McNabb is by far the best.

Not true. Grossman is proven better than McNabb in our O last season so as far as the Redskins go I would assume McNabb is right behind the UPS delivery guy on the depth chart.

Beck is a decent back up. Whether he's quality NFL starting material has yet to be seen. I like the fact that he's eager to be the starting QB of the Washington Redskins, but the question I have is "Is Beck or Grossman truly a upgrade or downgrade from McNabb? It's safe to say that out of the three QBs, McNabb is by far the best. Mike Shanahan also said that it takes a QB three years to fully learn the playbook and grasp this offense. So, why would Mike Shanahan look past McNabb after just one season?

Because McNabb was never a fit here. His mechanics, throwing motion, the way he runs the offense, all clash with what the Shanahans want. There's no reason to keep him here, he would just cause further rifts in the locker room.

First off, we don't even know if Beck is a decent back up. We don't know that he can't be one though just as we don't know if he will make a quality NFL starting QB. Secondly, McNabb wasn't by far the best. He wasn't even the best. And the three year thing doesn't mean after three years a light goes on. It means that it takes three years to fully learn the offense but there should be some gradual improvement throughout. There just wasn't any indication that McNabb was getting it at all.

Great quote.

Unfortunately we as fans may never know the real reason/reasons why McNabb didn't work out for us or why the coaches are looking past him after just one season. Oh I'm sure that there are a hell of a lot of fans who are going to say that they already know the real reason/reasons why and will be glad to voice them. But IMO nobody but the coaches and McNabb really knows everything that contributed to the disaster that was our Redskins offense.

First off, we don't even know if Beck is a decent back up. We don't know that he can't be one though just as we don't know if he will make a quality NFL starting QB. Secondly, McNabb wasn't by far the best. He wasn't even the best. And the three year thing doesn't mean after three years a light goes on. It means that it takes three years to fully learn the offense but there should be some gradual improvement throughout. There just wasn't any indication that McNabb was getting it at all.

i agree with this.

i think the obvious answer is that shanny thinks mcnabb doesnt have it and wont get it.

emphasis on mcnabb WAS the best qb on the roster career wise. but not last year.

This should definitely be taken into account but Mason's major problem was pass protection, not running. If you can't pass block you aren't getting on the field.

As far as the clip, great find OP. I'm excited to take a look.

Archived