Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Republican Senate Whip (Kyl): Delay Federal Employee Paychecks

Fergasun

Originally from National Journal via GovExec.com

Kyl also argued that the United States will not default on obligations if Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling, saying Treasury could instead freeze spending, perhaps by delaying payment to federal employees and members of Congress.

Wow. Republicans are doing their best to ingratiate themselves to Federal Employees right now. I guess Federal Employees are just fat cats who can do without getting a pay check for a couple of weeks (actually this is essentially no different than the GOP threat to shut down the government). Pay freeze? 5% pay cut in one year? Using Federal employees as a pawn in your stupid negotiations? Freakin' sweeeet!

By the way Mr. Kyl, military servicemen are "federal employees". So do you suggest we delay the paychecks of military servicemen?

I wonder what he means when he says Treasury could "freeze" spending. Does he mean Social Security checks wouldn't get cut, Medicare/Medicaid payments would cease, etc.? Good luck with that. If the GOP orchestrates a total spending freeze that lasts more than a few weeks, they're cooked in 2012.

I wonder if the staff of Republican elected officials take offense to the constant bashing of federal/public employees that has become a big part of the current GOP message.

The are federal/public employees. Do they just not view themselves as that? It must be weird to work in an environment where you boss and your constituents think you are overpaid, lazy and a lech on society.

I don't think their staff is career-federal-employee. They might stick around but their jobs are like a political appointee... once their representative is done they have to find other work.

You can look at their staff records (including salaries) at LegiStorm.com (I found it via Google).

For instance, there was a Rahm Emmanual staffer I just looked at (Alastair Fitzpayne). Emmanuel retired to become Chief of Staff for Obama. What happened? This guy ends up as "Deputy Chief of Staff and Executive Secretary" for the Department of Treasury.

Another random person I looked at "Dan T. Roehl" served on Congressional Staff for Mark Green (R-WI) who retired/lost in 2008, ended up in the USDA "Congressional relations" office and is a registered lobbyist for the "National Restaurant Association" which spends millions a year lobbying Congress.

This board is getting ridiculous. Kyl is stating that Treasury has options that could delay defaulting on our loans. Kind of like not paying the cable bill for a month so you have money for the mortgage.

This thread is just a continuation of the theme that most people on this board are so stuck in partisan talk that they refuse to acknowledge our dire financial situation.

This board is getting ridiculous. Kyl is stating that Treasury has options that could delay defaulting on our loans. Kind of like not paying the cable bill for a month so you have money for the mortgage.

This thread is just a continuation of the theme that most people on this board are so stuck in partisan talk that they refuse to acknowledge our dire financial situation.

If everyone sees something one way and you see it differently what is the liklihood that it is your view that is the one out of kilter.

Yes the situation is so dire that the subsidies for oil companies can not be stopped while they are making billions in profit.

Do you really think that failing your employees is akin to failing to pay your cable bill? What do you think will happen when we stop paying federal employees (and let's just assume all DoD, DoJ, and DHS employees are exempt)? Social security checks would stop getting cut, Medicare/Medicaid payments would grind to a halt, VA hospitals would shut down, etc. Oh and don't forget that failing to pay federal employees would mean they wouldn't be spending their paychecks on things like mortgages, car payments, groceries, etc.

So, yeah, I guess that's kind of like failing to pay your cable bill. :ols:

Why just limit to federal employees? Why not delay payment to Social Security and Medicare as well. That'll save a bunch of money.

The SSA administers SS and HHS administers Medicare. I suspect that if SSA and HHS employees aren't going to work, SS and Medicare checks aren't going to get cut.

the comments are great on the site.

As a FIRM believer in cuts to just about everything. Not paying people that work for you is not on the table.

Even saying this kind of stuff should get you censured.

Do I understand Kyl correctly? He'll hold off in paying feds their paychecks in order to pay creditors when their T-Bills come due? Well Sen Kyl, before you send me my "delay of federal paycheck so we can give your money to someone else" memo, let me send you the name and addresses for my mortgage company, PEPCO, insurance company, and Verizon so YOU can write them too - telling them NOT to foreclose on me, cancel their services, report this to the crediut bureaus or otherwise hold me accountable for YOUR decision not to pay me in a timely manner. (The IRONY of YOUR lack of fiscal managment impacting MY credit score defies description)

While youre at it, please also send me some IOUs that I can use at the grocery store, so I can feed my family until you and the rest of the clowns under that "big top" we call "Congress" can get your act together!

Personally, I'm getting tired of walking behind the "circus animals" with a broom!

The SSA administers SS and HHS administers Medicare. I suspect that if SSA and HHS employees aren't going to work, SS and Medicare checks aren't going to get cut.

Technically they are going to work but just not going to be paid for a while.....

the comments are great on the site.

As a FIRM believer in cuts to just about everything. Not paying people that work for you is not on the table.

Even saying this kind of stuff should get you censured.

Now that's a good nasty letter. And he's right.

If everyone sees something one way and you see it differently what is the liklihood that it is your view that is the one out of kilter.

When "everyone" is blind, then the liklihood is greatly diminished. Especially when so many on the extreme left who post here are flat out blinded by their partisianship.

When "everyone" is blind, then the liklihood is greatly diminished. Especially when so many on the extreme left who post here are flat out blinded by their partisianship.
This will not end well for you. You can only be a blind partisan hack if you have a R next to your name around here.

Technically they are going to work but just not going to be paid for a while.....

Well that sounds a ton better. :)

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 09:32 AM ----------

Link to article described below: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13450316

By the way, since we're talking about cutting spending, wouldn't it be nice talk about defense cuts? Obama may have earned enough "badass" political capital after killing bin laden to put it on the table. I'll try to find the link but I was reading an article about china not trying to match our military, and it had a nice little graphic comparing defense expenditures. We spend about 10x the amount they do on defense despite having fewer troops. Honestly even cutting the military by 10% over the course of a decade would save unfathomable amounts of money and we would still have a military that is by far the most powerful on the planet.

This will not end well for you. You can only be a blind partisan hack if you have a R next to your name around here.

I've got a novel idea for those who think Senator Kyl's proposal is reasonable. If you think his proposal is reasonable and the crazy left is overreacting, why don't you articulate a sound argument instead of engaging in ad hominem attacks?

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 07:35 AM ----------

See the post above.

I've got a novel idea for those who think Senator Kyl's proposal is reasonable. If you think his proposal is reasonable and the crazy left is overreacting, why don't you articulate a sound argument instead of engaging in ad hominem attacks?

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 07:35 AM ----------

See the post above.

Really? You wanna call what I said an attack? Seriously?

I have already stated my opinions on cuts. I would cut defense spending 25% on Jan1. I would implement metrics for ALL employees. The Federal workforce would be reduced by 10%. No more across the board raises; you will earn your raise. Federal spending would be cut by 40%. DoD would **** a brick, but they would not notice the cuts after they calmed down. 15% spending cut across the rest of the Fed? Piece of cake. I would also raise taxes on the top 10% immediately, with a plan to implement a flat tax and completely rewrite the tax code. Marriage? No longer a federal issue (meaning no tax breaks/penalties). If you decide to get married, file the paperwork with the state (only used for civil issues like alimony and child support). Marriage would be a religious/personal issue, and gays would be welcome to participate.

I just scanned the thread of the posters who commented. You really think all those guys are blind leftist partisans? Thiebear? Fergasun? Madison? etc.? I will say sometimes that lonely voice shouting against the mob happens to be the only sane one, but sometimes, that lone guy who thinks he's the only one who sees truth and everyone else is a blind follower is the unibomber.

The "white, Christian, heterosexual male" victim card now carries an R too, apparently.
I don't care what card carries an R or D. I am not beholden to a party. This board gets more and more partisan every day. God forbid a comment is made about a D (or implied by a comment about an R). The responses are quick. And the first response is to always accuse the poster of being a hack. Regardless of whether it fits or not.

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 09:45 AM ----------

I just scanned the thread of the posters who commented. You really think all those guys are blind leftist partisans? Thiebear? Fergasun? Madison? etc.? I will say sometimes that lonely voice shouting against the mob happens to be the only sane one, but sometimes, that lone guy who thinks he's the only one who sees truth and everyone else is a blind follower is the unibomber.
Please explain where I accused anyone of being a blind leftist? Also, please show me a thread on this board where the left gets eviscerated the same way the right does.

Archived