Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Southwest tells woman, mother they are 'too fat to fly' (MSNBC)

#98QBKiller

It can not said all fat people are lazy, I would not call Kevin Smith Michael Moore or Chris Christie lazy, I would just say their either lack self control on eating or have an eating disorder or they do enough activity to off set their calorie intake.

There are many who exercise so they can eat what ever they want but still have the health problems with eating poorly

Thus laziness in finding out how to eat properly. At least by what I've been saying in this entire thread.

Most of the disagreement with me in this thread seems based on semantics.

Would it make people feel better if I said, "A complete lack of health related education" rather than laziness?

Stop hatin on the 6pack abs challenged!!

These people are good for the economy!!! Think of all the work those big and wide stores are getting and the extra fields cotton farmers are planting. :)

Liberals or conservatives should try to get the fat vote. "Four chickens in every pot and a diet coke in every fridge."

i-beat-anorexia.jpg

de4273dd58f7c7f2fb77e657524c7414.jpg

Thus laziness in finding out how to eat properly. At least by what I've been saying in this entire thread.

Most of the disagreement with me in this thread seems based on semantics.

Would it make people feel better if I said, "A complete lack of health related education" rather than laziness?

Some people do not care if they are fat and for some food is like a drug

I think the other problem is the readily available food often is high in fat and we associate food with every holiday

I think the other problem is the readily available food often is high in fat and we associate food with every holiday

+1

I say all the time that it is a shame that the healthy food is so much more expensive than the more healthier foods. It's like you have to have deep pockets to eat healthy. Unless you starve yourself skinny.

As a big dude myself, I support the buy another seat program (or whatever it is called) Either way I am still screwed. I am 6'5" as well. No matter how much weight I lose, can't stop my legs from being long :ols:

I say all the time that it is a shame that the healthy food is so much more expensive than the more healthier foods. It's like you have to have deep pockets to eat healthy. Unless you starve yourself skinny.

Healthy food, IMO, is minimally processed.

Healthy (for one person, price goes down for >1, IMO) example:

Breakfast: Oatmeal, banana, water/coffee (approximate price: $2).

Lunch: Salad with tuna fish or grilled chicken, apple, fig newton cookies. (approx price: $5-6)

Dinner: Pasta with tomatoes/basil/oliveoil/garlic. ($5-6).

You can't eat out for that. Cheapest frozen pizzas are like $6. Cereal is crazy expensive ($5 for 18 ounce box of sugared cereal).

Lunch: Salad with tuna fish or grilled chicken, apple, fig newton cookies. (approx price: $5-6)

You can't eat out for that. Cheapest frozen pizzas are like $6. Cereal is crazy expensive ($5 for 18 ounce box of sugared cereal).

You ever bought a salad when you go out to eat.

Usually they are about 12 dollars and the burger and fries are like 8 or 9 and the pop is all you can drink where as the bottle of perrier water is about 2 dollars per.

And we are talking price mixed with readily available

You ever bought a salad when you go out to eat.

Usually they are about 12 dollars and the burger and fries are like 8 or 9 and the pop is all you can drink where as the bottle of perrier water is about 2 dollars per.

And we are talking price mixed with readily available

I agree that it can cost more to eat healthy food than junk food. However, I don't think people should use food prices as a crutch to defend their poor eating habits and lack of exercise. People of modest means can eat healthy food at reasonable prices if they want to, but they choose not to.

Random comment - eating a salad with a cup of ranch dressing isn't "eating healthy."

I agree that it can cost more to eat healthy food than junk food. However, I don't think people should use food prices as a crutch to defend their poor eating habits and lack of exercise. People of modest means can eat healthy food at reasonable prices if they want to, but they choose not to.

Random comment - eating a salad with a cup of ranch dressing isn't "eating healthy."

The other thing I think is interesting is we readily allow fast food and people who make junk food to target children with their ads, thus getting them into unhealthy habits young, but we do not allow tabacco companies to do the same for that very reason

My experience is that eating healthier episodically tends to cost more. I can get a lot more calories cheaper if I eat unhealthy food. But eating healthier food (including consuming LESS food) causes me to make choices that end up costing me far less money overall. I pay more attention to what I purchase, plan the time I plan to eat it, think about this meal in relation to the other meals I plan to eat today. The overall effect is a drastic reduction in our food bill (including less spent going out to eat).

But individual health food choices definitely cost more than junk food.

This.

Healthy foods being "too expensive" is a myth.

Unless you are eating dollar menu everyday, it is cheaper to eat healthy foods than "bad" food.

So fat people don't have the whole $ excuse IMO

Chicken breast, brown rice, and spinach cost maybe tree fiddy at most. You can probably get a good size breast for $1 a piece if you buy the big package at the grocery store.

My experience is that eating healthier episodically tends to cost more. I can get a lot more calories cheaper if I eat unhealthy food. But eating healthier food (including consuming LESS food) causes me to make choices that end up costing me far less money overall. I pay more attention to what I purchase, plan the time I plan to eat it, think about this meal in relation to the other meals I plan to eat today. The overall effect is a drastic reduction in our food bill (including less spent going out to eat).

But individual health food choices definitely cost more than junk food.

I think another problem is this who value thing when it comes to food.

For instance you can buy a small pop with you meal but they have their largest size up there with a sign that says best value

You want to get the best bang for your buck eating out, then you hit the all you can eat buffett

I have always stuck with the old adage never trust a skinny cook.

You can find pizzas, cereal etc relatively cheap if you shop around at places like Walmart, Aldi's, Target and Save A lot stores. They link places like that on facebook and twitter. I prefer to make my own Calzones and pizzas from scratch. Special K with berries and Raisin Bran Crunch are the cereal faves and they were 5 for $10 last week.

This week has been all about the seafood and Grouper.

I walk instead of jog now especially when the weather is cool and a nice drizzle like now due to the issue with my lungs and there are alot of heavy people out there doing the same if not riding bikes on the trail. so not all of them are lazy.

Just like not all Prius driving Tofu loving Vegans from Virginia are annoying. :)

Unless you are eating dollar menu everyday, it is cheaper to eat healthy foods than "bad" food.

So fat people don't have the whole $ excuse IMO

Chicken breast, brown rice, and spinach cost maybe tree fiddy at most. You can probably get a good size breast for $1 a piece if you buy the big package at the grocery store.

lol education at its finest ;)

and where are you getting your breasts from?

This.

Healthy foods being "too expensive" is a myth.

http://politicsoftheplate.com/?p=864

A report released earlier this year by Jake Robert Claro, a graduate student at Bard College’s Center for Environmental Policy who did the study for the Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont, found that prices at farmers’ markets were lower for many conventionally produced grocery items than they were at supermarkets. For organic items, farmers’ markets beat grocery stores every time hands down.

lol education at its finest ;)

and where are you getting your breasts from?

Giant, Kroger, Publix....any grocery store.

In general, fat people are fat not because they want to be, but because they don't do enough (or anything) to lose the weight. Genes do play a roll as well, but if a fat person decides they don't want to be fat anymore they can certainly change what they eat and exercise.

I'm going to jump in here and state that I do agree with Kdawg on his initial assessment.

BUT, while healthy food may be priced similarly to "bad" food, in many inner cities, access to healthy food is simply not there. I saw on a news mag on TV about a neighborhood in chicago with no real supermarkets. Only corner stores. They had a very limited supply of fresh fruit and vegetables.

I agree with Marty ^^^ on how eating habits (frequency, amount, time of day) and activity level (sleeping/exercising/managing moods) impact the cost of any food preferences, and are particularly important in serving the desire to "eat healthy." I have been peripherally involved with research related to my work with U of W on nutrition, but I am just a consultant for mental heath aspects of diet on cognitive-emotional behavior. But I have been draining as much knowledge as possible from these truly impressive folks---UW Med Cntr is an amazing operation---and have applied much of it to my own life and many others the last few years with very satisfying results.

I have full sympathy for,and am irritated about the reality of, the fact that crap like hot-dogs, mac-n-cheese, bologna, highly processed bread, hamburger (w. or w/o "helper), canned veggies, etc. are popular choices cheap foods that are filling and still offer protein plus mucho carbs ,often w/high sugar/sodium content. Canned veggies have minimal nutrient value and generally contain much unneeded sugar/sodium. So a lot of fat, calories, and low nutrient value is prevalent in many "cheap" foods.

However, one thing to always point out on this topic is how much you can do with brown rice and various beans which in bulk are even cheaper than the "cheap foods" and have far more protein, nutrients, and less fat for the same calories.

Meats like chicken (lose the skin) and pork can often be bought relatively cheaply (especially in larger packs--freeze them in individual baggies) if you shop well. If someone is willing to learn how to prepare beans and rice with variety and is willing to take the time and effort required for such meals (in other words don't let "lazy" be part of your eating healthy obstacles) you can stretch your food dollar a long ways, stay on a fairly low budget, and still eat healthy.

Many current freezing techniques currently used do a much better job of preserving nutrients in vegetables then in the past. Sometimes, large packages of frozen veggies can be reasonably priced and can be fialry close in nutrients to fresh veggies.(at least, far better than the canned option). I still prfer shopping all forms of makrts and try to buy [roduce and fruit on sale in two-three day supplies (as sales changes every few days).

Fresh carrots, potatoes (avoid butter/fatty add-ons), and cabbage (stir-fry in pan with a little virgin olive oil) are all available much of the time at low prices and are solid sources of healthy, filling foods. Same with addressing fruit meeds and keep it as simple as "apples and oranges" if helpful.

Just by getting decent rest, exercising 30-60 mins a day---even just walking as briskly as possible---and actually planning your meal times effectively, lowering size of portions, and using carrots, brown rice, various legumes (beans), potatoes, apples/oranges, chicken.pork/turkey/tuna, and 100% whole wheat bread (a comparatively cheap but healthy processed bread option) as staples for a healthy diet as opposed to bologna, hot dogs, mac n cheese, and hamburger helper (not really cheap) you can eat healthy, be full, and stay on a reasonably low budget.

And learning about spices/seasoning/cooking to help make the meals more appealing is highly reccommened. Most communites have some soirt of free cooking classes/groups and they can be a great place to hook up with women (or men I guess) too! :D

The other thing I think is interesting is we readily allow fast food and people who make junk food to target children with their ads, thus getting them into unhealthy habits young, but we do not allow tabacco companies to do the same for that very reason

I don't believe we should prohibit or substantially restrict fast food companies from marketing to children. Parents control the purse strings until the children are old enough to know that eating junk food is bad for your health. If people make bad decisions, let them do so.

I don't believe we should prohibit or substantially restrict fast food companies from marketing to children. Parents control the purse strings until the children are old enough to know that eating junk food is bad for your health. If people make bad decisions, let them do so.

Parents will say no but do not like doing it all the time, so you get kids that ask and ask and ask.

Next if you are preventing your child from eating bad but they are being bombarded by ads then they feel they are missing out on something

Giant, Kroger, Publix....any grocery store.

In general, fat people are fat not because they want to be, but because they don't do enough (or anything) to lose the weight. Genes do play a roll as well, but if a fat person decides they don't want to be fat anymore they can certainly change what they eat and exercise.

it was a rhetorical, fifth grade, childish humor question?

hehe, he said breasts, hehe

Parents will say no but do not like doing it all the time, so you get kids that ask and ask and ask.

Next if you are preventing your child from eating bad but they are being bombarded by ads then they feel they are missing out on something

Please that is a pretty lame excuse that you as a parent can't stand up to your own children. Second, it is not like you have make these things forbidden. That isn't the point, everything in moderation.

The first person to blame is parents. From the beginning they need to teach their children good eating habits. The problem is most parents don't know themselves or are misguided by myth. Eating unhealthy is a bad habit, just like smoking, and parents are passing it down to their children and it has become an epidemic.

Archived