Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Southwest tells woman, mother they are 'too fat to fly' (MSNBC)

#98QBKiller

Yes, you're right. It is inappropriate. It is inappropriate when my father in law says it and it is inappropriate when 98QBKiller says it. They both believe they can identify a group of people as lazy by the look of them.

You are wrong to ignore the similarities.

Right. Except that laziness and neglect leads to obesity, not to being black.

Too often it seems like fat people get rewarded for their lazy behavior. Or at least they get encouraged and coddled by society. People sympathize with them and tell them "Oh I know it's so hard to find time to exercise" or "It just costs too much to buy healthy food" when in reality neither of those things are true for most people. It feeds the fat person's laziness and attitude to keep doing nothing to change their situation. This does the opposite. Good for Southwest.

Heart disease, type 2 diabetes joint issues and other weight related illnesses do not seem to be much of a reward.

But if you start talking about taxing the foods and eating habits that cause this and people get upset.

You didn't just say that, did you?

Uhh. Yes? It's not cliche. It's true. The point was, no one is "hating" obese people. I'm worried about their health. Elaborate on what the hell you're talking about.

You couldn't make this easier if you tried.

Yeah... Try me.

Uhh. Yes? It's not cliche. It's true. The point was, no one is "hating" obese people. I'm worried about their health. Elaborate on what the hell you're talking about.

Yeah... Try me.

This post made me laugh. Missed the reference to Trump, and then said that you could make it easier.

I don't deny that there is a bias and a tendency to pre-judge fat people and that many look down on them. I agree with you that this type of prejudice is different than racial prejudice, but it also shares some characteristics... like assumed superiority and stereotyping. On the other hand, obesity is a real problem and ignoring it or placating it isn't an answer.

I just thought that you trotting out the ultimate line "some of my best friends are..." was kind of funny.

Ok, you're on. Prove to me that fat people are lazy.

Three types of lazy, in my opinion.

1) Work Ethic

2) Kitchen Habits

3) Exercise Habits

Work ethic laziness has nothing to do with body make up. If you're a lazy person, it doesn't matter if you're fat or skinny or tall or short. Someone with no work ethic is someone you'd never want on your side. This isn't the type of lazy we're talking about here.

Kitchen Habits. Most obese people I know drink a ton of pop and eat extremely unhealthy. Sure, they'll have a salad at lunch at think they're going to lose weight. Then they'll house a pizza and a 2 liter of pop for dinner. This is lazy. Why? You're not gaining the knowledge necessary to create a healthy environment. Figure out your BMR, TDEE and calories necessary and then track your foods and eat 500-1000 calories less than you normally would a day. Some think skipping breakfast/lunch and eating a healthy dinner is enough to lose weight. But the human body is smart. It senses that you're not getting enough food and it clings to fat cells for energy, thus not allowing you to drop weight after a period of time. They are health knowledge lazy.

Exercise Habits. Ties in with kitchen habits. Most think going to the gym and doing 15 minutes of the elliptical is going to help them lose weight. A lot of these folks don't even bother changing their diet. The 150 calories burned on the elliptical should get them to lose weight, right? Wrong. Steady state cardio is good for weight loss, but it will also diminish muscle mass when using it in a caloric deficit. When doing it in a caloric surplus, it will do virtually nothing. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a shorter duration exercise that burns less calories during but will help ramp up your metabolism for hours afterwards. Weight training is your friend. It will prevent you from being skinny fat but will also give you muscle. For those that aren't aware, muscle takes more calories to maintain, so more calories are going to go to the muscle and not be stored as fat.

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 08:24 AM ----------

This post made me laugh. Missed the reference to Trump, and then said that you could make it easier.

?

I don't follow politics much until election time.

:ols:

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 08:26 AM ----------

I just thought that you trotting out the ultimate line "some of my best friends are..." was kind of funny.

Okay, but its not something I throw out there for the hell of it. The point was that some of the best people I know are obese. It's not a hate thing for me. It's a health thing. I want my friends to be healthy. And I know that my friends aren't the only great people who happen to be obese. My one good buddy just started dropping weight and his self confidence is soaring. It's great to see. He was in such a rut.

Kitchen Habits. Most obese people I know drink a ton of pop and eat extremely unhealthy.

Exercise Habits. Ties in with kitchen habits. Most think going to the gym and doing 15 minutes of the elliptical is going to help them lose weight.

I know fat people who don't drink soda and are very active. On the other hand, I know thinner people who eat unhealthy foods and live sedentary lifestyles.

When you see a thinner person, do you assume they eat healthy and exercise? If fat people can be assumed to be lazy, can't we assume thin people to be the opposite?

We know for a fact that obesity is strongly determined by genetic imprint. Different people store fat differently. One person can remain thin with little to no effort while another person must work extremely hard to remain at a healthy weight. In we lived in an environment with scarce resources, the person who more easily stores fat would be healthy with less effort while the person who doesn't retain fat well would require more effort to remain healthy.

Clearly, a fat person can not be assumed to be lazy.

When you see a thinner person, do you assume they eat healthy and exercise?

No. I see someone who may not eat enough and is unhealthy as well. However, they are less of an inconvenience in a tight quarters setting, and easier to help should something happen.

If fat people can be assumed to be lazy, can't we assume thin people to be the opposite?

No. Because there are eating disorders on the other end of the spectrum. And thin people aren't necessarily putting in the kitchen/exercise effort, either.

No. I see someone who may not eat enough and is unhealthy as well. However, they are less of an inconvenience in a tight quarters setting, and easier to help should something happen.

No. Because there are eating disorders on the other end of the spectrum. And thin people aren't necessarily putting in the kitchen/exercise effort, either.

So do you, like 98QBKiller, assume fat people are lazy or don't you?

So do you, like 98QBKiller, assume fat people are lazy or don't you?

How is this relevent to the above points you attempted to make?

Yes. I assume fat people are lazy. In some way or the other. Lazy has many different meaning, as I said above. They are health lazy. Or they are health knowledge lazy in that they go to the gym and work hard but don't do it correctly.

I assume the same for the ultra skinny people as well.

If you're asking if I believe it's genetic, the answer is maybe... to a point. Even people who are genetically predisposed to be bigger can be a lot more healthy. Someone that is 400 pounds is not predisposed to be 400. They can work off the weight. You see it all the time with shows like 'The Biggest Loser'.

A couple weeks ago I was in a Wal Mart doing some shopping. I'm not exaggerating when I sy that 75% of the people in there were morbidly obese. Huge, even the kids.

And their shopping carts are packed to the brim with frozen pizza, chicken nuggets, ice creams, cereals,,

There's really no excuse for it.

Now, this may be a broad generalization, but in my experience the morbidly obese people I know are also slobs, they don't clean, they don't do dishes (mcDs requires nones.)

I've had more than a few friends that I'd consider morbidly obese, and every time I was ever in their place, their workspace, their car,, anywhere, that was the case. Slovenly. I don't know one I'd consider fastidious,, or even clean in their own personal space. I never wonder why they're so fat. It's pretty obvious.

There's no reason so many people in this country should be so fat.

Continually shifting the responsibility away from themselves is not going to help.

If this woman is too fat to fly, then rather than complain to everyone else, maybe she needs to do something about getting back down to normal human size.

But I'm betting even Richard Simmons wont be able to help for long. Sure he'll get 100 lbs off of her, and then he'll cry and tell her he loves her and then he'll leave and in six months she'll be a whale again.

And it won't be because of any other reason than she will eat herself back into it.

Any bets?

~Bang

How is this relevent to the above points you attempted to make?

Well let me try again.

We know for a fact that obesity is strongly determined by genetic imprint. Different people store fat differently. One person can remain thin with little to no effort while another person must work extremely hard to remain at a healthy weight. In we lived in an environment with scarce resources, the person who more easily stores fat would be healthy with less effort while the person who doesn't retain fat well would require more effort to remain healthy.

Well let me try again.

I disputed this above. Show me a fat person who trains correctly and eats correctly. And by fat, I mean obese to the point they're not allowed to fly.

Give it a shot.

Are we going down the "fat people are lazy" road? That's untter BS. I know plenty of people who aren't fat that sit around and do absolutely nothing EVERYDAY.

Keep reading the thread.

It was mentioned, by me, that skinny people can be lazy too.

In fact, with the way the world is, I assume everyone is lazy until proven otherwise.

Lazy, until proven hard working.

Really, I guess if you want to make the argument about morbidly obese people, we should make the same argument about drug addicts and alcoholics.

That it is not a disease and that change is within their control. And that they are less deserving of sympathy and more deserving of scorn and ridicule.

Personally, I don't necessarily have a problem with that. As a society I think we've gotten dangerously far away from personal accountability.

Really, I guess if you want to make the argument about morbidly obese people, we should make the same argument about drug addicts and alcoholics.

That it is not a disease and that change is within their control. And that they are less deserving of sympathy and more deserving of scorn and ridicule.

Personally, I don't necessarily have a problem with that. As a society I think we've gotten dangerously far away from personal accountability.

Sounds good.

A couple weeks ago I was in a Wal Mart doing some shopping. I'm not exaggerating when I sy that 75% of the people in there were morbidly obese.

You were surprised? :)

Regarding earlier posts, fat people aren't necessarily lazy. More like they lack self-control and motivation.

You were surprised? :)

Regarding earlier posts, fat people aren't necessarily lazy. More like they lack self-control and motivation.

You're generalizing. I know many over weight people that work and many "in-shape" people that sit around all day.

Archived