Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Alarming combo: Bedbugs with 'superbug' germ found

China

Alarming combo: Bedbugs with 'superbug' germ found

ATLANTA – Hate insects? Afraid of germs? Researchers are reporting an alarming combination: bedbugs carrying a staph "superbug." Canadian scientists detected drug-resistant staph bacteria in bedbugs from three hospital patients from a downtrodden Vancouver neighborhood.

Bedbugs have not been known to spread disease, and there's no clear evidence that the five bedbugs found on the patients or their belongings had spread the MRSA germ they were carrying or a second less dangerous drug-resistant bacteria.

However, bedbugs can cause itching that can lead to excessive scratching. That can cause breaks in the skin that make people more susceptible to these germs, noted Dr. Marc Romney, one of the study's authors.

The study is small and very preliminary. "But it's an intriguing finding" that needs to be further researched, said Romney, medical microbiologist at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver.

The hospital is the closest one to the poor Downtown Eastside neighborhood near the city's waterfront. Romney said he and his colleagues did the research after seeing a simultaneous boom in bedbugs and MRSA cases from the neighborhood.

Click on the link for the full article

Horrible wording though. "Superbug"? How long has Methicillin resistant staph been known for?

I was having a conversation with someone who was saying all the worldwide epidemics were over blown.

Whether that is true or not is another debate, but one of his arguments was that you never hear of the flesh eating virus anymore.

When I told him that it was always a misnomer, and that the "flesh eating virus" that people would "catch" was always MRSA he actually didn't believe me at first.

Wait, what?

Years ago there would be news accounts of a flesh eating virus that people could catch in the hospital. He thought it was a real virus, but it never was. It was always just MRSA.

So in effect, he thought the virus scare was overblown and that it somehow disappeared or never was a real problem

I was having a conversation with someone who was saying all the worldwide epidemics were over blown.

Whether that is true or not is another debate, but one of his arguments was that you never hear of the flesh eating virus anymore.

When I told him that it was always a misnomer, and that the "flesh eating virus" that people would "catch" was always MRSA he actually didn't believe me at first.

It's not "always" MRSA, but it is sometimes.

Type I describes a polymicrobial infection, whereas Type II describes a monomicrobial infection. Many types of bacteria can cause necrotizing fasciitis (e.g., Group A streptococcus (Streptococcus pyogenes), Staphylococcus aureus, Vibrio vulnificus, Clostridium perfringens, Bacteroides fragilis). Such infections are more likely to occur in people with compromised immune systems.[2]

Historically, Group A streptococcus made up most cases of Type II infections. However, since as early as 2001, another serious form of monomicrobial necrotizing fasciitis has been observed with increasing frequency.[3] In these cases, the bacterium causing it is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a strain of S. aureus that is resistant to methicillin, the antibiotic used in the laboratory that determines the bacterium's sensitivity to flucloxacillin or nafcillin that would be used for treatment clinically.

Link

As China's post above indicates, Necrotizing Fasciitis can be caused by more than one bacteria. MRSA certainly can be a culprit, though. And NF is still something that happens. It isn't, and hasn't ever really been "widespread" or an epidemic. But its incredibly dangerous. A science fiction writer who's work I enjoy is recovering from a bout with NF. They had to essentially scoop out a bunch of his calf muscle. And that was when they caught it EARLY.

Archived