Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Should welfare and/or food stamp recipients be subjected to drug testing?

Toe Jam

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So nobody really answered my question.

How much per tax dollar do we spend on welfare/food stamps?

Practically not a ****ing cent compared to the corporate welfare we give companies who ship jobs overseas or spend on the military every year...the two biggest problems with our budget and the two things no one will talk about.

Practically not a ****ing cent compared to the corporate welfare we give companies who ship jobs overseas or spend on the military every year...the two biggest problems with our budget and the two things no one will talk about.

No, instead we should spend even more of our money drug testing poor people who we think are abusing our government.

There is far more abuse of our government money than Shaniqua down the street who trades her food stamps for crack rocks.

I think the treatment-focused approach to drug use makes more sense, is cheaper, and more effective compared to the punishment-focused approach we currently have in this country.

I have heard things like this a lot. Not saying it is wrong but one thing you are assuming is that that are WILLING to accept treatment. If they aren't, what then?

I wouldn't even say it is poor law. You do drugs. You know you shouldn't do drugs. You do it anyway. Therefore, there has to be some consequences. Charge former drug addicts more for medicare. If they can't afford, that is on them. You knew that they're risk in doing drugs, but you did it anyway.

All I am saying is that people need to start reaping what they sow. You can't expect to get a free ride your whole life. The reason this country is what it is today is because people put in hard work. I continue to do the same, and I am getting rewarded for it.

I wouldn't even say it is poor law. You do drugs. You know you shouldn't do drugs. You do it anyway. Therefore, there has to be some consequences. Charge former drug addicts more for medicare. If they can't afford, that is on them. You knew that they're risk in doing drugs, but you did it anyway.

All I am saying is that people need to start reaping what they sow. You can't expect to get a free ride your whole life. The reason this country is what it is today is because people put in hard work. I continue to do the same, and I am getting rewarded for it.

You say that people should reap what they sow, but are you sure you'd really want that? A drug user/abuser may do so and cause harm only to his/her self. If you have ever harmed, wronged anyone else, then you should revise your "Reap what you sow" theory.

Not everyone on welfare is on drugs, therefore not everyone should be forced to submit to testing. If you get a conviction or other verifiable indication of drug use, THEN they should be required to be tested! As far as charging former drug addicts more for medicare, that'd be cool as long as all the smokers, drinkers, folk having pre-marital unprotected sex, overeaters....(we can do this all day) get charged more too! I wonder if your rates would increase? (reap what you sow, remember!?)

"The reason this country is what it is today is because people put in hard work." I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one! What is this country today??? Insolvent (practically bankrupt), crime infested, war-loving, socially divided, Military/Prison industrial complex dependent...awww you get the picture! And by "Because people put in hard work" I assume you are referring to the indigenous people and Africans that were enslaved, and actually built this country from the ground up, so that the "Powers that Be" could concentrate on new ways to make even more money while not having to actually do any "Hard work!" (or were you taking about the Cornell grad who sits in his cubicle all day and makes a King's ransom?) Ironically, many of the decendants of these exploited humans have never been able to rebound from this economic inequality, and are recipients of the welfare system.

Talk about users and abusers, what about the middle class white male who has a degree and a job, but still manages to get on welfare and recieve assistance from working class folk who are making so little that they'd qualify for welfare too if they applied? Do some research and I think you'll be surprised at how lare a percentage this really is. When I was a Sergeant in the Marine Corps, I found that My family qualified for welfare!!! Shame on US (Uncle Sam!)

I am all for guidelines and restrictions, but they should be targeted at only those that it applies to! How would you feel if they proposed that all drivers be subject to random drug/alcohol testing on demand? What if you are on your way to work and get pulled (now you're running late!) over for no apparent reason and are forced to "pee in a cup" or "walk a straight line" all in the name of reducing the number of people who drive while impaired? I can see that going over like a fart in church!

The lack of critical thinking and social values still infested with racism and greed, is one of the chief reasons that this country "is what it is today" and if you're satisfied with that, you must be one of the few that is actually reaping the benifits of the pain of the masses. (or too blind to see whats going on!)

Hail

I just want to make sure everyone knows that the military gets random drug tests. Approx: 25% of a command per week. Wonder what that costs. Keeping the thread topic in mind, I'd like to hear thoughts on the two subjects.
I have heard things like this a lot. Not saying it is wrong but one thing you are assuming is that that are WILLING to accept treatment. If they aren't, what then?

No thoughts on this? I was really enjoying this thread and then it just dropped off all the sudden.

Drug testing in and of itself doesn't seem to make any point in this case.

OTOH, if the government is serious about reducing drug use, and if one of the major causes of people not working, becoming homeless etc., is drug use.... pairing random testing with mandatory rehab programs (show up for it or you don't get your check) might do some good and be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I work security at a club.

I can't tell you how many people try to get in with their benefit cards. Then they come in and want top shelf stuff, and complain that the bartender under poured their liquor. It happens with nearly every person that tries to get in with a Benefit card and no license.

I work security at a club.

I can't tell you how many people try to get in with their benefit cards. Then they come in and want top shelf stuff, and complain that the bartender under poured their liquor. It happens with nearly every person that tries to get in with a Benefit card and no license.

Can't they just get a State issued I.D.?

And what kind of club do you work security at that has all these old people coming in ? haha.

Can't they just get a State issued I.D.?

I've asked. They tell me that they had it "taken" most of the time. :ols:

And what kind of club do you work security at that has all these old people coming in ? haha.

Benefit cards aren't for old people.

haha. Fair enough.

Are you meaning something like a welfare card ? Yet they have no other ID ?

Correct. And it's state-issued, so it's legal according to the local cops I've asked.

They don't have the typical NYS ID, like a license, because they were 'taken'. I assume it was due to them getting DWIs and such, but that's just a guess. Other than one or two of them, none of them have told me that.

But, my question in my head (I don't say anything because they're customers and its really not my business) is if these people have benefit cards... How are they affording to come here and drop $20-$40 in drinks?

Most states (maybe all), have an ID as well as a driver's license. So even if your DL is taken from you, you can still get a state issued ID, or even a passport.

I agree with your last point/question there. Clearly these people have other things going on in their lives they need to address before being concerned with going to a club.

Most states, have an ID as well as a driver's license. So even if you DL is taken from you, you can still get a state issued ID, or even a passport.

Yup. They can't afford the passport ($135). They do have another form of ID, it looks almost identical to the driver's license, without the driving info. However, those cost money as well ($13!). My guess is, and its only a guess, that they would rather spend the coin on drinks than getting a good form of ID.

Archived