Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Back Yes/No Poll

skinsarethebest

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Just curious to take a 20/20 hindsight look at what you guys really think went down.

The poll here is not about whether or not you think it was a good idea or not to trade down, nor is it about whether you like the picks we made. The question is a bit more subtle:

Was there a METHOD TO THE MADNESS behind our trading down, so that we actually had specific objectives/players in mind, AND GOT THOSE PLAYERS?

or did we just kind of pursue these trade downs because it seemed smart at the time, only to actually GET BURNED in hindsight, i.e., MISS OUT on a player we wanted?

I hope this isn't coming off as being a silly question, but it's an earnest one, because I've heard speculation that perhaps we missed out on a player we would otherwise have taken (e.g., Kaepernick) and I feel a lot on this board also seem a bit bewildered by some of the choices we made (i.e., perhaps a feeling that we "backed into" them).

Personally I love the Kerrigan and Hankerson choices. Wondering if we kind of backed into Jarvis Jenkins due to Kaepernick being gone.

But anyway, that's the gist of the poll. Not whether you like the choices, but whether the choices were calculated ones where we "hit" the target we hoped for (with all the incessant trade downs), or were perhaps (at least in one or two instances) ones where we kind of shot ourselves in the foot (i.e., perhaps traded too far back and missed).

But like I said, I'm happy we got our new DE/OLB, DT and WR! Hoping for the best!

I think its just as likely that there were specific targets that kept getting snagged before our pick, so we saw more value in trading down.

Maybe Locker started the whole thing. Maybe Greg Little being gone helped cause the next huge series of trade-backs, where we eventually ended up with Hankerson a round later.

Its impossible to know, and I'm not sure what good speculating does. Unless the insiders pop in here with some solid knowledge of why things happened the way they did.

I just know that I'm happy it worked out how it did.

I think it was great. We needed players and depth in all positions on the team, so we needed more picks. I think so far the draft has been about as good as we could have hoped for. Even if the team didn't get the player they were "targeting" in all instances, the fact that they seem to have picked up solid players all around is good for me. Clearly, people that know how to build a Football team are in control here.

We won't know until tomorrow.

As it stands the team hasn't selected any CB's, NT, QB, RB's or OL. Don't think there are any QB's on the radar this year, and they hoped Kendrick Ellis would get by the Jets (and he didn't).

I do expect to see the Shanny magic at work tomorrow, especially with finding OL and RB's.

In the end the draft is always a crapshoot, I'm glad we have TEN picks tomorrow. We can get two more mid round picks next year and still have 7 or 8 picks to use on depth, and players who fit the scheme and aren't flashy enough for the first couple of rounds.

we traded down 6 spots in the first round.

everything after that was done with the 2nd round pick we got for doing that.

so we went down 6 spots, to add all those extra picks.

if you're not happy with that then i give up. after years of ignoring the draft, trading the farm to pick the guy ESPN decided was a 'can't miss', and needing to rebuild with a solid core of young players, the front office went out and did this. what else can you really ask for?

they hoped Kendrick Ellis would get by the Jets (and he didn't).

Not sure why you think that. We have the 30th pick in the 4th round...its kind of a stretch of the imagination to believe that if he had just gotten by the Jets, he'd make it to our pick.

Unless you think we'd have traded up for him tomorrow morning, if he got by the Jets tonight.

Its just as likely he would have been a Steeler or a Packer, if the Jets didn't take him.

Well we can't say it worked just yet. We moved down quite a bit in 08 as well and ended up with a bunch of duds. Three years from now it may very well be that we would have been better off packaging all of our picks to move up to get Jake Locker or something, who knows? But for now I love the direction. We need youth and lots of it. Rack up as many picks as you can and let the youth movement begin.

We won't know until tomorrow.

As it stands the team hasn't selected any CB's, NT, QB, RB's or OL. Don't think there are any QB's on the radar this year, and they hoped Kendrick Ellis would get by the Jets (and he didn't).

I do expect to see the Shanny magic at work tomorrow, especially with finding OL and RB's.

totally agree... I realize it's a little hard to predict if we hit on who we wanted when there are still some 10 picks waiting to be made by us tomorrow

Its crazy how we went into this draft with limited amount of picks, now we have the most I think. AND we gathered some quality players, I really love taking Hankerson, he is a stud, especially in the 3rd, a pick we didnt originally have. The draft has been great so far.

We accomplished more in this draft then we have in quite a while.

We turned a second round pick into a 3rd,4th, 2 5th's and a 7th. Phenomenal work!!, We really made it happen and increased our chances of getting better. Allen/Shanny were on their game the last two days. Here's to coming back on Day 3 and really making it count on those 5 picks in the 4-5th rounds.

The Jenkins pick is the only one that has me wondering. He was supposed to be late 2nd or 3rd. So either that's the guy they really wanted or they couldn't trade out of it. But if they couldn't trade out of it then why was it so easy to trade down 3 times later? IMO they could have traded down on both picks and still gotten Jenkins and Hankerson but I can't really complain. We got 6 extra picks out of going from 10 to 16.

Not sure why you think that. We have the 30th pick in the 4th round...its kind of a stretch of the imagination to believe that if he had just gotten by the Jets, he'd make it to our pick.

Unless you think we'd have traded up for him tomorrow morning, if he got by the Jets tonight.

Its just as likely he would have been a Steeler or a Packer, if the Jets didn't take him.

No other team needed a NT that late in the draft except the Skins and the Jets. He basically fell into their lap. It was an absolutely obvious pick. You have to assume (since I don't have insider info) that they would have used a few of those 10 picks to move up to the top of round 4 and taken him tomorrow.

The Jenkins pick is the only one that has me wondering. He was supposed to be late 2nd or 3rd. So either that's the guy they really wanted or they couldn't trade out of it. But if they couldn't trade out of it then why was it so easy to trade down 3 times later? IMO they could have traded down on both picks and still gotten Jenkins and Hankerson but I can't really complain. We got 6 extra picks out of going from 10 to 16.

it may be easier to trade down later because someone wants a player at that spot.

a team could very easily not not the 9th pick of the 2nd round, but want the 9th pick of the 3rd, based on who's available.

All I can say is I really hope this was planned and our scouts have it covered. Otherwise it's just a waste like some of Shanahan's 10+ pick drafts in Denver (2004).

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 03:04 PM ----------

a team could very easily not not the 9th pick of the 2nd round, but want the 9th pick of the 3rd, based on who's available.

I hear ya man but I think I will just have to go with the Redskins really wanting Jenkins. He's our new starting DE soon. I believe it. He was graded 3rd round, we took him early just in case. Cool. I hope he kicks ass.

No other team needed a NT that late in the draft except the Skins and the Jets. He basically fell into their lap. It was an absolutely obvious pick.

Teams like the Jets, Steelers, Packers, and even Ravens are always looking for depth at a position like NT. You can't assume that no one would touch him for 30+ picks if he got past the Jets.

I think what really messed things up is that the Browns took Phil Taylor so early. In fact, traded up for him...when they run a 4-3? Weird. And that pushed up some of the NT talent that may have fallen further.

You have to assume (since I don't have insider info) that they would have used a few of those 10 picks to move up to the top of round 4 and taken him tomorrow.

That could be a fair assumption. I'd agree, I guess.

Teams like the Jets, Steelers, Packers, and even Ravens are always looking for depth at a position like NT. You can't assume that no one would touch him for 30+ picks if he got past the Jets.

I don't believe they wanted him in the first place. He's been compared with Haynesworth.

We have competent people drafting now. Dont even compare this to 2008. That one made no sense. Draft 2 WR and a TE. The 3 drafts so far are what we need!!!!

That draft was a joke. I like Fred Davis, and hopefully Malcolm Kelly can remain healthy this year (not confident), but if you think about it, on a team with so many needs, why would you draft 3 pass catchers in a single round? Doesnt make sense at all, **** that loser vinny

Its crazy how we went into this draft with limited amount of picks, now we have the most I think. AND we gathered some quality players, I really love taking Hankerson, he is a stud, especially in the 3rd, a pick we didnt originally have. The draft has been great so far.

Clayton had us 3rd on his biggest winners/losers of the draft so far. I'm loving this. FINALLY we have some competent people running this team/draft. Not gonna lie, though. I probably would have preferred Quinn to Kerrigan. Prove me wrong, Ryan!

IMo a good way of doing this especially since we have so many needs. A significant infusion of new blood is obviously needed for this team. I just hoped perhaps we could have packaged some of those late round picks into another 3rd. I would;d have love to get either Moffitt or Ellis.

Archived