Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC News: Sexual Harassment case at Yale University

ixcuincle

My mistake, it wasn't actually a senior thesis. Not sure how makes me gullible instead of just lazy at 3am this morning, but whatever... I say the point stands.

I think your "point" was that our society has become so unfair that a woman could write a senior thesis about a subject that us poor little men aren't even allowed to talk about openly.

That is why you said this. "And when a female at Duke can openly and graphically write a "**** list" for her senior thesis, I tend to believe the male/female sex barrier has finally been completely shattered. If you think a Duke male student could get with this, you're crazy."

And I'm sorry, that point simply does NOT stand, because it wasn't a senior thesis. It was private joke between friends that got leaked to the internet. :whoknows:

---------- Post added April-4th-2011 at 10:36 AM ----------

some of the responses in here are pretty disgusting. i can't even follow the skeevy logic train that led to race being brought into the discussion.

it's amazing how reliable some things can be. one of the most reliable things is that any time a story about women being openly and obviously sexually harassed comes up on the internet, a certain set of people will invariably go out of their way to excuse or dismiss it. every time.

Truest goddamn thing ever said.

You mention rape, but in the article there is not one mention of a sexual attack.

As I said, having groups of men target womens dorms and chant about rape on a college campus is not a harmless prank. How many rapes do you think happen each year on the Yale campus?

The problem is women want equal treatment until something doesn't go their way. Then the double standards start flying. This case is just stupid words, no one was hurt. And like others have said look at the women from Duke who got 5 minutes of fame for writing about all her sexual partners and rated them. If I guy did the same he would be burned at the stake.

What, you mean like bestselling author Tucker Max, who has made millions out of basically the same thing?

Oh wait, you are talking about the woman who got five minutes of UNWANTED fame when a joke she sent to a couple of close friends got leaked to the internet. Yeah, that's the same thing entirely. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added April-4th-2011 at 10:44 AM ----------

They aren't complaining about the black and brown. But if a bunch white boys give them the shivers, I could not imagine how they would feel at a state college.

I am tying myself in knots trying to figure out what this post means without coming to a negative conclusion about the poster. You really should elaborate on why you went down this road, and what point you are trying to make.

The problem is women want equal treatment until something doesn't go their way. Then the double standards start flying. This case is just stupid words, no one was hurt. And like others have said look at the women from Duke who got 5 minutes of fame for writing about all her sexual partners and rated them. If I guy did the same he would be burned at the stake.
Sounds a little dramatic. The equality stuff is just jargon so they can form an actual lawsuit against the school. (title IX)

These girls have a specific complaint and they're the one's attending the school. They're the one's paying for it. They can complain about whatever the hell they want at 50grand a year.

Like Tucker Max has been?

oops, I missed Predicto's post above.

Is it just me?

I find that the fact that people in this thread are trying to kind-of-defend this action (by deflecting away from it), to be more upsetting that what the yahoos in the OP did.

I can dismiss the actions of the frat boys as the actions of a few statistical outliers. But to me, the reactions, here on ES, now that reflects on society as a whole.

Maybe it's just me. But I find some of the posts in this thread to be more depressing than the actions in the OP.

Just posting to let you know you aren't the only one.

As I said, having groups of men target womens dorms and chant about rape on a college campus is not a harmless prank. How many rapes do you think happen each year on the Yale campus?
In the last 4 years there was one reported rape case on Yale's campus which was later withdrawn. No one can possibly know how many unreported cases. I would assume that 1 withdrawn case in 4 years on a major college campus is below average.

In the last 4 years there was one reported rape case on Yale's campus which was later withdrawn. No one can possibly know how many unreported cases. I would assume that 1 withdrawn case in 4 years on a major college campus is below average.

Well, heck. As long as mobs of people chanting "No means Yes!" stops short of physical rape, then I guess there's no problem, huh?

That's pretty surprising, given that Yale's campus is right on the edge of the ghetto in New Haven, full of all of those scary blacks and browns that do the "real" raping.

Well, heck. As long as mobs of people chanting "No means Yes!" stops short of physical rape, then I guess there's no problem, huh?
"Mobs". Plural. It must have been a banner year for that Frat to recruit "mobs" of pledges.

I must say you NoCal guys have it all figured out.

"Mobs". Plural. It must have been a banner year for that Frat to recruit "mobs" of pledges.

I must say you NoCal guys have it all figured out.

Help me figure it out. Explain to me what the hell point you are trying to make, especially in Posts 11 and 16.

I think we have to be careful with making a jump to cases of rape in correaltion to a group of stupid frat guys doing a prank.

Who is making that jump here?

The point is that the prank is hostile and offensive (and all too common), and yet people on here are defending it and acting like we guys are the real victims. It's kind of pathetic, really.

Help me figure it out. Explain to me what the hell point you are trying to make, especially in Posts 11 and 16.
Wish I could. But, alas, I have spent my life on the wrong side of moral superiority and there is no turning back now.

However, a tip might be: Irrational fear.

Wish I could. But, alas, I have spent my life on the wrong side of moral superiority and there is no turning back now.

Thanks for the tip.

It sounds a bit more like a "tap," as in "tapdancing around rather than acknowledging what you were getting at," but maybe that's just me.

But the passive aggressive "moral superiority" line was a nice touch. Classic message board warrioring there. You really are the victim.

"No means yes". Can you interpret that for us in a way that doesn't make it a rape threat?

Edit: or better yet, interpret it in such a way that it's unreasonable to construe it as a possible rape threat?

so to sum up TimmySmith's position: women feeling fear when a large group of guys shout sexually threatening things at them is "irrational", especially since these men are mostly white.

I'm sure that there is some other explanation, but Timmy is feeling too victimized by us awful Politically Correct meanies to clarify it for us.

I wonder how the "it's just a prank" group would feel if their daughters were on the receiving end of the "prank".

So in your opinion you think this group of guys was trying to threaten rape on a dorm full of women. I am of the opinion that is was an ill thought out "prank" by a bunch of 18/19 year old guys who didn't think about how much their actions would come across the wrong way.

How many stand-up comedies have used this same joke? How many comedy movies has it been used in? I think they got to caught up in their own joke and should be punished, but don't think it is fair to correlate threats of rape.

So in your opinion you think this group of guys was trying to threating rape on a dorm full of women. I am of the opinion that is was an ill thought out "prank" by a bunch of 18/19 year old guys who didn't think about how much their actions would come across the wrong way.

My opinion is based on the fact that:

1. Rapes occur on college campuses.

2. College women, especially freshmen girls are common targets.

Then you have a bunch of guys openly shouting that they don't care about consent.

You really don't see how women may feel really really threatened by behavior like this?

How many stand-up comedies have used this same joke? How many comedy movies has it been used in?

EDIT: not worth it.

So in your opinion you think this group of guys was trying to threating rape on a dorm full of women. I am of the opinion that is was an ill thought out "prank" by a bunch of 18/19 year old guys who didn't think about how much their actions would come across the wrong way.

i don't care what they were "trying" to do. what they actually were doing was sexually harassing a bunch of women by shouting threatening things at them. it's not ok, and some people's stubborn insistence on excusing them just highlights how accepting some segments of our society can be in the face of blatant sexual harassment. you can't reject accusations of being a misogynist if you condone mobs of dudes sexually threatening and asserting their dominance over women.

Archived