Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC News: Sexual Harassment case at Yale University

ixcuincle

So in your opinion you think this group of guys was trying to threaten rape on a dorm full of women. I am of the opinion that is was an ill thought out "prank" by a bunch of 18/19 year old guys who didn't think about how much their actions would come across the wrong way.

How many stand-up comedies have used this same joke? How many comedy movies has it been used in? I think they got to caught up in their own joke and should be punished, but don't think it is fair to correlate threats of rape.

Why do you keep returning to this argument? No one here is saying these guys should be arrested for attempted rape.

i don't care what they were "trying" to do. what they actually were doing was sexually harassing a bunch of women by shouting threatening things at them. it's not ok, and some people's stubborn insistence on excusing them just highlights how accepting some segments of our society can be in the face of blatant sexual harassment. you can't reject accusations of being a misogynist if you condone mobs of dudes sexually threatening and asserting their dominance over women.

This I agree with and have already said they should be punished.

---------- Post added April-4th-2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

Still doesn't make it right. Joking about potentially raping women is not funny. Maybe I'm just out of the loop here, but I'd link to be linked to comedians and movies that have openly joked about raping women and forcing women into sex without consent.

One example: American Pie and the Stifler character.

I don't remember Stifler joking about raping women, but it is American Pie so it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Not a funny character anyways.

Point still stands; what these guys did was sexual harassment and they were clear threats to the safety of the women at Yale.

I don't remember Stifler joking about raping women, but it is American Pie so it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Not a funny character anyways.

Point still stands; what these guys did was sexual harassment and they were clear threats to the safety of the women at Yale.

Yes I agree that it is sexual harassment. I have said this. I am not talking about joking about rape directly. I am talk about make a joke of, "no means yes."

I guess my point earlier was that sexual harassment will never be on a equal playing field, because if this was reversed and men said they felt harassed, then they would probably be laughed at. I am sure guys in here would make jokes like I wish girls would come yelling at my dorm building. Sororities do stuff on campus too. For example, one I knew from my college days, was female pledges sneak into the men's dorm and stole boxers from guy's rooms as a pledge prank. That could be viewed as harassment, but it would never become an ABC story.

I think your "point" was that our society has become so unfair that a woman could write a senior thesis about a subject that us poor little men aren't even allowed to talk about openly.

Er, no... I think you've completely missed my point because you assume anyone who dare questions the OP's original post is defending the males in question. The sexual barriers of our society have been shattered. I'm sorry can't see that.

Er, no... I think you've completely missed my point because you assume anyone who dare questions the OP's original post is defending the males in question. The sexual barriers of our society have been shattered. I'm sorry can't see that.

I'm sorry that I relied on the words you wrote to reach a conclusion about what you were trying to say with those words.

Next time, if you are trying to make a specific and simple point like that, don't use words that mean something completely different and expect us to read your mind. :)

I will say one thing. If a guy at VCU ever wrote a **** list he would be tramped by thousands of angry women and then have his genitals ripped off. No way a guy gets away with that crap.

yeah we know, men have it so tough, constantly being dominated and harassed by women in imaginary hypothetical scenarios :(

I will say one thing. If a guy at VCU ever wrote a **** list he would be tramped by thousands of angry women and then have his genitals ripped off. No way a guy gets away with that crap.

You think it has never happened? There was a **** list posted in the upstairs bathroom at a frat where my wife went to college. It had dates, names, nicknames, reviews, everything. :whoknows:

I guess my point earlier was that sexual harassment will never be on a equal playing field, because if this was reversed and men said they felt harassed, then they would probably be laughed at. I am sure guys in here would make jokes like I wish girls would come yelling at my dorm building. Sororities do stuff on campus too. For example, one I knew from my college days, was female pledges sneak into the men's dorm and stole boxers from guy's rooms as a pledge prank. That could be viewed as harassment, but it would never become an ABC story.

Well the double standard exists because women are almost always on the receiving end of sexual assaults. In one of my forensics courses, we recently had a sexual assault nurse who works at iNOVA Fairfax come in and give a lecture on this very topic. These are the numbers from her power point slide:

95% victims female, 5% victims male. 99% of the suspects were male, 1% were female.

Kind of hard to ignore such staggering numbers. Of course a double standard would exist, because women face a ridiculously higher chance of getting sexually assaulted than men. Right or wrong, threats to female security will always be dealt with more caution.

yeah we know, men have it so tough, constantly being dominated and harassed by women in imaginary hypothetical scenarios :(

Not to mention the even more overwhelming fear of rape that we men suffer from on a day to day basis. After all, I personally know several women who have been raped, but of all the men I know, none of them have ever told me about being raped. Clearly they are all so traumatized that they can't even speak about it.

We need to end this kid glove treatment of women and stop empowering their deceitful rape victimhood nonsense. We know who the true victims are in our Politically Correct culture - us men.

I'm sorry that I relied on the words you wrote to reach a conclusion about what you were trying to say with those words.

Next time, if you are trying to make a specific and simple point like that, don't use words that mean something completely different and expect us to read your mind. :)

I'm sorry you reached a conclusion that had nothing to do with my original post because you wanted to assume the words I wrote meant the words you wanted to read. :)

I'm sorry you reached a conclusion that had nothing to do with my original post because you wanted to assume the words I wrote meant the words you wanted to read. :)

"And when a female at Duke can openly and graphically write a "**** list" for her senior thesis, I tend to believe the male/female sex barrier has finally been completely shattered. If you think a Duke male student could get with this, you're crazy."

I guess I was only supposed to pay attention to words 19-32 of your post. You weren't trying to make any point at all with words 1-18 or 32-45. How did I miss that? :)

I guess I was only supposed to pay attention to words 19-32 of your post. You weren't trying to make any point at all with words 1-18 or 32-45. How did I miss that? :)

I don't even remember what my original point was now. Something about a girl stealing my ice cream... or I can just relate to being on the low scale of a **** list.

can we at least all agree that Tucker Max is a douche?

His scat story had it's moments, but I never found a guy talking about how awesome he was appealing.

Archived