Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grammar Question

WizSkinsO's

oops, you need a semicolon or a period after Jimmy. :pfft:

Maybe you didn't hear about it. You been away a long time, they didn't go up there and tell you. I don't use semicolons anymore...

---------- Post added March-22nd-2011 at 12:51 AM ----------

I was thinking more along the lines of Curly and Moe and you just needed a Larry. :silly:

Jerry, George and Kramer?

The scene where Kramer is sitting in the office and just eating crackers makes me laugh every time.

See, it's "makes" because there is only one scene.

Yep, and Jerry, Kramer, and George make me laugh every time.

My skills with computers makes me a good hire.

My skills with computers and my ability to hit on women make me a great hire....:ols:

The scene where Kramer is sitting in the office and just eating crackers makes me laugh every time.

See, it's "makes" because there is only one scene.

Same. LOL

Jerry - What do you do all day?

Kramer - TCB....you know, takin' care of business...well I gotta run...oops almost forgot my briefcase...

Jerry - Well what do you have in there?

Kramer - CRACKERS!

Jerry just nods his head like yup, that sounds right.

Genius.

Thanks for all the replies. You all are the best. My teacher sides in the MAKE crowd. However' date=' this debate has proved my main contention: that 99% of America would have no idea.[/quote']

Except the thread doesn't prove that at all. Many of the responses were correct, well-explained, and from people who knew what they were talking about.

There was (it's not were!) a vocal minority who were wrong. It's not like most of the people in the thread said, "Gee, I have no idea. Good question."

[/nitpick]

I'm not sure which is correct, to be honest. But I know "make" sounds better, with the way the original sentence is constructed. I'm in the "make" crowd. Even if that means I'm agreeing with a Cowgirl fan.

Hey, it's no better from my end. I'm agreeing with not just one Skins fan, but many. :pfft:

"My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis, as well as my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use, makes me an excellent candidate for your internship position. "

There you go.

That way you keep the subject of the sentence clear: "My experience... makes..." Agreed with ASF that without the commas it's a bit wordy and actually could be a run on sentence.

Skinsfan is 100% correct.

The subject of this sentence is "My experience". The rest of the sentence simply describes the subject and can be considered to be an adjective. Therefore, My experience makes me ....

My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use MAKE/MAKES me an excellent candidate for your internship position.

Reword it to state:

Based on my experience doing scouting reports, statistical analysis, and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use, I am an ideal candidate for your internship position.

Now the Grammatical debate is moot and you have a better sentence.

My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use MAKE/MAKES me an excellent candidate for your internship position.

Reword it to state:

Based on my experience doing scouting reports, statistical analysis, and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use, I am an ideal candidate for your internship position.

Now the Grammatical debate is moot and you have a better sentence.

Yeah I think we can all agree that if you are unsure of whether one word or another would make your sentence grammatically correct, just find a way to rephrase it so you know for sure it is, without having to use any either/or words.

Archived