Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grammar Question

WizSkinsO's

My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use MAKE/MAKES me an excellent candidate for your internship position.

Which one? Your help is much appreciated.

This is not for an actual internship but for a disagreement on the English language. Thanks in advance.

"My experience doing scouting reports, statistical analysis, and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use MAKE me an excellent candidate for your internship position."

Try to use only 1 "and" when you're listing, use commas to separate the items so you don't need multiple "ands"; it looks like you have three where the third is a couplet of "data/analytical programs". That said, "makes" would be for a single item, "make" is for plural.

"My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis, as well as my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use, makes me an excellent candidate for your internship position. "

There you go.

That way you keep the subject of the sentence clear: "My experience... makes..." Agreed with ASF that without the commas it's a bit wordy and actually could be a run on sentence.

"My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis, as well as my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use, makes me an excellent candidate for your internship position. "

There you go.

That way you keep the subject of the sentence clear: "My experience... makes..." Agreed with ASF that without the commas it's a bit wordy and actually could be a run on sentence.

Except that it is experience AND proficiency. It is make in this sentence.

"My experience...and proficiency MAKE me an excellent candidate..."

Except that it is experience AND proficiency. It is make in this sentence.

"My experience...and proficiency MAKE me an excellent candidate..."

That's not the way my wording reads, is it? In the original sentence posed it would be make. In my suggestion I believe "makes" would still be correct.

My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use MAKE/MAKES me an excellent candidate for your internship position.

Which one? Your help is much appreciated.

This is not for an actual internship but for a disagreement on the English language. Thanks in advance.

My experience you use makes me. It's makes.

Replace all that first part with the word "it."

It's not "it make."

Plural = make.

Single = makes.

And the sentence can be condensed.

All of the "scouting reports and statistical analysis and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs" is experience. He didn't have to include it and the sentence would've been fine. Experience is singular, therefore it's "makes."

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 11:32 PM ----------

This and that make me...

No.

This and that MAKES me.

With the conjunction "and" it's saying you can make two separate sentences.

This makes me.

That makes me.

Both this and that are singular.

All of the "scouting reports and statistical analysis and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs" is experience. He didn't have to include it and the sentence would've been fine. Experience is singular, therefore it's "makes."

Exactly. Don't use make. Experience is singular. The other responses are incorrect.

Sad.

Ok but the way it is constructed, the sentence refers to TWO things.

His experience blah blah and his proficiency blah blah.

Two = make.

Exactly. Don't use make. Experience is singular. The other responses are incorrect.

Sad.

Why are people ignoring the second word? (proficiency)

As currently constructed, there are two things that are mentioned. If the OP wants to rephrase the sentence to make it one, that's fine. But there is experience AND proficiency in the original sentence.

Sad.

Incorrect according to this site: http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000026.htm

Similar situation to this example:

A compound subject whose parts are joined by "and" normally takes a plural verb.

Correct: Joe and his brother know what happened.

It is "make" if you keep the same wording you have. I do highly suggest this one though: "My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis, as well as my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use, makes me an excellent candidate for your internship position. "

Multiple subjects, one verb.

Thanks for all the replies. You all are the best. My teacher sides in the MAKE crowd. However, this debate has proved my main contention: that 99% of America would have no idea.

My professor called it: "a serious subject-verb agreement error in the opening sentence: make [not makes]." If that's serious, I don't know what to do with my life.

Agree also with those who called it long-winded, but the assignment guidelines called for THREE separate skills to be listed in the first sentence/paragraph. So it was not intended to be 'one' experience if that's what has caused confusion but rather a number of different experiences. I would agree that plural should have been make. But this is a "serious" error that earned me a D-. That's what amazes me.

I would say it like this,

"My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis, plus my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you're currently using, makes me an excellent candidate for your internship position."

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

Like Asbury said, go easy with the "and" when you are listing things.

"My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use MAKE/MAKES me an excellent candidate for your internship position."

I'd just change the sentence. :ols:

american-crow.jpg

It's stunned I'm gonna have to eat it. :silly:

Thanks for all the replies. You all are the best. My teacher sides in the MAKE crowd. However' date=' this debate has proved my main contention: that 99% of America would have no idea.

My professor called it: "a [b']serious[/b] subject-verb agreement error in the opening sentence: make [not makes]." If that's serious, I don't know what to do with my life.

Agree also with those who called it long-winded, but the assignment guidelines called for THREE separate skills to be listed in the first sentence/paragraph. So it was not intended to be 'one' experience if that's what has caused confusion but rather a number of different experiences. I would agree that plural should have been make. But this is a "serious" error that earned me a D-. That's what amazes me.

Haha Jesus that's rough man! What school?

The answer is makes. If it's not, I'll eat crow, but I'm 200% sure about it.

Separate it...

My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis | and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use MAKE/MAKES me an excellent candidate for your internship position.

There's two reasons as to why he deserves this job. His experience is the first. His proficiency is the second.

Two = make.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2011 at 12:42 AM ----------

Chipwich, shaking my head at how sure you were.

Separate it...

My experience doing scouting reports and statistical analysis | and my proficiency with the same data and analytical programs you currently use MAKE/MAKES me an excellent candidate for your internship position.

There's two reasons as to why he deserves this job. His experience is the first. His proficiency is the second.

Two = make.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2011 at 12:42 AM ----------

Chipwich, shaking my head at how sure you were.

We make a good grammar team. ;):ols:

Archived