Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you open your book if you were a business owner?

SC_RedskinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

1 - As we have seen with public companies sharing financials doesn't create some sort of chaotic environment where everyone demands a percentage. This myth needs to die.

2 - As a private business owner the question would be simple: who is asking and why? If, for example, someone is looking to partner up and they are bringing enough value to justify the proposal I would if it makes sense to do so. I don't think the "books" should be viewed like a teenage girls diary filled with embarrassing secrets... at least not the way I do business. Maybe if I had something to hide I'd be more resistant in general. The bottom line is, if it makes sense to do so, absolutely.

I would agree that if a partner was coming in it would be ok. But that is different then a employee demanding to see them...

I don't think it is about hiding anything, it is none of their business how much the company makes. Maybe this is different for big companys, but thats how it works for small business imo.

Why not share salaries?

Because you don't want every employee ****ing about their pay compared to someone else they consider to be inferior?

---------- Post added March-11th-2011 at 11:41 PM ----------

I would agree that if a partner was coming in it would be ok. But that is different then a employee demanding to see them...

I don't think it is about hiding anything, it is none of their business how much the company makes. Maybe this is different for big companys, but thats how it works for small business imo.

I've worked with small businesses that didn't care or that shared it with employees because they were very proud of growth and viewed it as evidence of a plan that worked.

Not only no,but hell no

You want privileges?...buy into the company

Here is the problem wth that...

(1) The NFL owners are saying they are loosing money and their current business structure is not viable... thus requiring the Unions to take less money off of what has been negotiated. The NFL owners are saying this even though the TV contracts they have signed have gotten much more profitable not less profitable.

(2) The NFL owner have already been found to be in breach of their labor agreement with the union last week. A federal judge found that the owners took a lower TV contract than they otherwise could have gotten in exchange for guaranteed money after the lock out. The Players contracts are tied in part to the TV contracts. Thus the Players are owed several hundred million dollars of the 4 billion the NFL has set aside for their lock out fund.

(3) Last year seven MLB teams financial records ended up in the public domain. IT showed that MLB teams which also were claiming they had an untenable business model requiring lower player salaries actually were paying themselves huge salaries or were paying companies they owned huge consulting fees to cook the books.

Right. I've only started non-profits so open books is a way of life. But I'm not wired right to run a business the way its usually run. If I started a for-profit company the books would be just as open.

What's your not for profit about Mardi?

Depends on the context.

If I was in labor negotiations, for example, and claiming that I had to cut everyone's pay by 30 percent because I was losing money, then I might find it appropriate to open up the books to prove that I wasn't lying. :whoknows:

Here is the problem wth that...

(1) The NFL owners .

Are a racket and not a normal business....just like ins companies

They should require open books for anyone with a anti-trust exemption.

It is laughable that people want to draw parallels between the NFL and private companies. They're not, they are a special case with a federal anti-trust exemption selling a "product" that is ephemeral and wholly dependent on the individual employees themselves, not simply positions that can be easily filled by others.

This whole thing seems more like a contentious divorce proceeding, the hubby feels he's giving her enough already, she doesn't need to know what he has squirrelled away.

Depends on the context.

If I was in labor negotiations, for example, and claiming that I had to cut everyone's pay by 30 percent because I was losing money, then I might find it appropriate to open up the books to prove that I wasn't lying. :whoknows:

right. and also, by not opening up my books, i am virtually certain of losing my workforce, which happens to be, for all intents and purposes, irreplacable. (and happens to be the product) so, i wont make any money.

but under normal circumstances, i wouldnt open my books.

Archived