Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Season Ticket Renewals

bryantlc

Pretty sure I got an email last year about NFL Rewind, so I'm assuming that will happen again. The NFL Mobile app has an option for Season Ticket Holders to sign in and get RedZone. Until today I wasn't able to log in, but now I can at least do that. Not sure how to use it, though. The "Try It Now" button doesn't do anything and I don't see another way to access it right now within the app.

• 4 months later...

We have been a joke for years now. Why stop now? (serious question, not trying to troll)

That's what I don't get.

I'm debating on renewing my tickets, but it's not because the team finished 4-12, it's because I have a baby on the way and am not sure I want to spend that much time away from home next year. It's a hard decision to make.

The people saying they're not renewing because the team is so bad... yeah, I don't understand that. It's been a bad team, with a few small flashes, since 1993. You're just now realizing that?

Someone should keep a running tab of those not renewing for next year. 

And I get why people would stop renewing. I cut ties ~6 years ago after 45+ years of family tickets. Product just wasn't worth the price.

Each season, I was in the hole for $400+ before the season even started. Then when the losing begins, I can't give the tickets away. Too many seasons of watching half-assed effort, loss after loss, & inept coaching.

Each season, I was in the hole for $400+ before the season even started. Then when the losing begins, I can't give the tickets away. Too many seasons of watching half-assed effort, loss after loss, & inept coaching.

That's the problem. When this team plays poorly, no one wants to go. Weren't tickets for the Rams game like $3 on StubHub? I wasn't expecting to make money off my tickets, but was hoping to at least get what I paid for the games that I didn't go to. When tickets are going for that cheap on StubHub, there's no incentive to be a STH, IMO.

That's the problem. When this team plays poorly, no one wants to go. Weren't tickets for the Rams game like $3 on StubHub? I wasn't expecting to make money off my tickets, but was hoping to at least get what I paid for the games that I didn't go to. When tickets are going for that cheap on StubHub, there's no incentive to be a STH, IMO.

Exactly. I never expected to make money on the tickets, either. But since I travel a lot for work, it was not always possible to make the Sunday/Monday/Thursday night games, or even the 4pm Sunday games. I couldn't get anywhere near face value for them. And, some seasons, I couldn't even give them to friends. I ended up donating them to get the tax write-off.

The tickets are priced for a playoff caliber team.  Which, of course, means a season ticket holder will likely not get fair value* in a given season under the current regime.  Yes, there will be exceptions, but on average, the value will not be there.  That's a fact and it's been a fact for over a decade.  The idea that the value will become worthwhile "when the team gets better" is hogwash.  It was hogwash 15 years ago, it was hogwash 10 years ago, it was hogwash five years ago, it is hogwash now, and it'll be hogwash five years from now. 

Regarding this off-season, I've never talked to so many die hard fans who have already made the decision not to renew. 

*Fair value being either the abilty to resell the tickets for a reasonable price or the tickets holding worthwhile entertainment value comparable to the cost. 

• Like 1

The tickets are priced for a playoff caliber team.  Which, of course, means a season ticket holder will likely not get fair value* in a given season under the current regime.  Yes, there will be exceptions, but on average, the value will not be there.  That's a fact and it's been a fact for over a decade.  The idea that the value will become worthwhile "when the team gets better" is hogwash.  It was hogwash 15 years ago, it was hogwash 10 years ago, it was hogwash five years ago, it is hogwash now, and it'll be hogwash five years from now. 

Regarding this off-season, I've never talked to so many die hard fans who have already made the decision not to renew. 

*Fair value being either the abilty to resell the tickets for a reasonable price or the tickets holding worthwhile entertainment value comparable to the cost. 

Good points Mark. The tickets start out overpriced to begin with. I was really excited to be a STH going into this season. But I have no desire to renew next season. The onfield product is a mess, the tickets are expensive, parking is expensive, concessions are expensive and the team has no direction. Why keep investing in something that has no return and isn't getting any better?

Tickets in the family since 1969,, and I gave them up 4 seasons ago. Admittedly, I live 6 hours from DC, but always made at least 4 games per season, and brought the kids (2) to a game each.

I didn't necessarily not renew because of price, record, or inability to resell, but because, in all good consiousness, I could not give Dan Snyder my money to continue his abject mismanagement of this franchise. I now go to 1 or 2 away games to see the Skins. GameDay experience is always much better than that toilet of a stadium, and Snyder gets no benefit from my money.

I am really on the Fence about renewing. This would only be my 3rd year. So I do not have the excuse for years of abuse. But I used to get excited to go to games. But this year it seemed like a chore. After the TB game, I told my wife I was not renewing. But later changed my mind. I think if we keep Haz that will be the back breaker for me.

I am really on the Fence about renewing. This would only be my 3rd year. So I do not have the excuse for years of abuse. But I used to get excited to go to games. But this year it seemed like a chore. After the TB game, I told my wife I was not renewing. But later changed my mind. I think if we keep Haz that will be the back breaker for me.

The chore part is right. When they aren't winning, it almost feels like punishment for going to the games. If I'm going to spend my entire Sunday there, the least they could do is get a win.

Standing room tickets were going for $3.

Despite what the local newspapers write, the stadium has had roughly the same attendance all year. I went to every game except for the cowboys game - it was a little less as the season went on, but from where I sat the stadium looked roughly as full for the home opener against Jacksonville as it did for the game against the Rams.

The team was moving people form the upper level into club which made it kind of hard to compare it to previous years.

Though I had no trouble dumping my lower level tickets to the cowboys game for face value. Plus parking.

I'm definitely not renewing.   I'll save most of the energy on why and start with a link to my prior rant: 

http://es.redskins.com/topic/385002-i-want-my-40000-back/

At bottom, my loved ones and I did not get $4,300 worth of entertainment this season (i.e. the cost of our four 50 yard line upper deck seats and green parking pass), and we've not gotten entertainment commensurate with the investment in the majority of the 11 seasons we've had tickets.  I can put that money to better use, and pick up tickets for pennies on the dollar on Stubhub if the urge to go to a game ever strikes me again.  And even if I want to go to a high demand game (e.g. a division-clinching late season game against the Cowboys), the odds that the tickets are going to be selling for three times face value are near zero.  Assuming I can get the tickets at 2.5x face or less, I'm still better off than having to buy preseason tickets to a pair of games at full price and eat them year after year.

If I had any faith the team was going to change it might be different.  But so long as we have an owner who surrounds himself with yes-men and who fashions himself a football executive when he is demonstrably not, it's not going to get better.  I'll just continue to be a Skins fan from the comfort of my living room.  

Edited by FedEx Nosebleed
  • Like 1

Even if you wanted to attend games on a regular basis, I don't understand why a fan would buy season tickets at this time when you can usually get seats on the secondary market right now for face value or less.  OK, I get that season tickets give you the SAME seats every week, but still, you're paying a heck of a premium for that privilege.  Being a STH doesn't seem to make much rational sense otherwise. 

• Like 1

Because you can't predict the record of the team?

If I knew they were going to be 3-13 or 4-12 every year and tickets would be below face value for half the season then you'd be right, but no one *knows* that.

As ridiculously cheap as it is to get tickets at the end of the year this year, ask the people who wanted to go to the season closer against Dallas what they paid in 2012... tickets in my section were on stub hub for 3x face value.

Because you can't predict the record of the team?

If I knew they were going to be 3-13 or 4-12 every year and tickets would be below face value for half the season then you'd be right, but no one *knows* that.

I can't *know* what any team will do next year, but at this point, I can be pretty confident the Redskins will find a way to lose at least 10 games.  Sure, they'll have the occasional fluke season where they'll actually get hot for a while and maybe even make the playoffs, but then the team will raise prices for the next year, and they'll go back to serious losing.  This team hasn't put together two season in a row over .500 in forever.