Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESS RELEASE: Clinton Portis Released

Genghis Khan

Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said, but I'm glad portis was our RB for so long. dude was my favorite rb ever since he was with denver and was excited we got him. he played his butt off every play he was here and we definitely put everything on his shoulders when healthy. sadly, his health has deteriorated and we do need to move on. i hope the best for him, guy is definitely a work horse, thanks for everything CP!

CP wont be back at all.. Sad to know things that come to light.. but this was coming.. that said .. Shanny N Cp never really cared for each other. As u see Portis thanks Dan and Mike for being up front, but all his love goes to Dan and Gibbs. Loved Gibbs, and still love Snyder. The whole U thing pretty much is gonna go, Moss is the only one with shot 2 come back. i enjoyed watching CP blow people up , but Joe blew his body up. other player 2 go , who is a free agent anyway of course is Rocky.. dont wanna dog Rock. he just had problems picking up the 3-4 , not everyone is built for it . have a good one guys

“I would like to thank the organization,” Portis said. "Dan [snyder] and Mike [shanahan] were honest, straight-up people with me. I always appreciated the opportunity from Dan to play here. Being a Redskin was a special part of my life. Coming and being in that organization, I turned from a kid having fun to a man carrying responsibilities. I tried to put the world on my shoulders for Coach Gibbs and the Redskins fans.”

Within a few hours of this photo the Redskins and CP were changed forever, God Bless YOU #26 and Thank You.

2007_1125montereytampa20079.jpg

Clinton signing an autograph for my son after playing Tampa that wk. end 21 was taken from us.

Not sure where you think CP mails it in. From what I saw he gave it everything he had. I don't disagree with the decision, however, and hope we solve the running game problem early on in the 2011 season.

Bye. Go mail it in while getting paid like a top flight back elsewhere CP!

Too bad he didn't have another run longer than that until 2009, and even here he couldn't outrun Mike Sellers.

4hWBnl6ZyiY

You do realize that he was following his blocker, right? If Sellers doesn't fall flat on his face he makes the last block and Portis scores. The defender had the angle to the sideline. He could have slowed down even more and tried to cut back to the middle of the field, but Sellers vs. a DB is exactly what you'd hope for.

CP wont be back at all.. Sad to know things that come to light.. but this was coming.. that said .. Shanny N Cp never really cared for each other. As u see Portis thanks Dan and Mike for being up front, but all his love goes to Dan and Gibbs. Loved Gibbs, and still love Snyder. The whole U thing pretty much is gonna go, Moss is the only one with shot 2 come back. i enjoyed watching CP blow people up , but Joe blew his body up. other player 2 go , who is a free agent anyway of course is Rocky.. dont wanna dog Rock. he just had problems picking up the 3-4 , not everyone is built for it . have a good one guys

Thanks for the info man! It's appreciated, as always!

Curious JSteez, are you and TK one of the same person because you both have the same signature?! ;)

...Now Rocky is a dude i'm not sheading one tear over.

Farewell friend. I'd love to see you come back.

Nobody can generate hate from the old fans like you do.

And for those wanting to make comments about Champ, he was a punk and was not going to stay here anyways!

And nobody can generate the love from the young bucks like you. You probably dont even remember Champ as you would have been appx 15 when drafted. You think he was a punk, cause he didnt want to be back and it hurt your feelings.

One of the All Time Great Redskins is now gone. Best of luck CP. His accomplishments are among the best in team history.

The run down:

2nd All time in Rushing Yards, Attempts, TDs.

19th All Time in Receptions

9th All Time in combined yards (rushing, receiving, returns).

Holds the team record for most 100 yard games (26).

Holds the team record for most yards in a season (2005). Holds top two spots.

Holds the team record for most 100 yard games in a season (9-2005)

Holds the team record for consecutive games with at least 125 yards rushing (5-2008)

Only player in team history to hold 4 of the top 10 spots in all time single season rushing (1st, 2nd, 8th, and 10th).

2nd in Team History for career yards per game average. 97.19 yards per game.

1st, by a mile, in Team History in career yards per game if you eliminate returners.

Top Ten All Time Redskins in terms of combined yards (minus kick returns) avg per game:

1. Clinton Portis 97.19

next closest is

2. Larry Brown 81.96

Was the key player in both playoff runs this past decade:

2005- Last 5 games (5 wins) Clinton ran for over 100 yards each game. Scored 6 touchdowns. Threw for 1 touchdown.

2007- Last 4 games (4 wins) Clinton gained at least 100 yards in each game rushing and receiving. Scored 4 touchdowns and threw for 1.

Well done CP. Well done....................and Thanks!!!!!

Look forward to seeing you inducted in the Ring of Fame in the future.

You do realize that he was following his blocker, right? If Sellers doesn't fall flat on his face he makes the last block and Portis scores. The defender had the angle to the sideline. He could have slowed down even more and tried to cut back to the middle of the field, but Sellers vs. a DB is exactly what you'd hope for.

OR...like you said maybe a quick cut back to the inside and he scores as Brown would not have readjusted that close to make the tackle plus add a stiff arm.

Archived