Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't the U.S. become energy independent?

88Comrade2000

The silicon price problem came from a lack of production and came to a head in 2008 where polysilicon reached $500 per kg. Production capacity has increased dramatically as has demand and the price is currently somewhere around $70 per kg. The materials used in the creation of polysilicon are cheap and abundant, the refinement needed to convert it is extensive but industry has shown the ability to quickly increase production to meet demand. Consider that $500 went to $70 in two years time all while demand was increasing. That in my opinion is reason to be optimistic that prices for needed materials can remain low if not decrease even further as demand prompts further increases in production.

Increased demand in the US would be significant certainly but it wouldn't be anything the market hasn't experienced already. China announced a move to get it's percentage of energy created by renewable sources to 15% by 2020 in 2009 for instance and prices remain low today.

I'm not sure where demand increased from 2008 but admittedly I do not have facts ready and I am going by the experience in the associated stocks. I've been following Sunpower (polysilcon) and First Solar (thin film) and the garbage China is putting out since 2008 when the stocks were to the moon and gas and silicon prices were high. Since then, I think production has slowed tremendously with the fall of the stock market as did the stocks (SPWR from 120 to 25). Bought SPWR at 25 where I thought it bottomed thinking demand would climb back sharply with fuel prices. Germany and Spain which are solars biggest markets cut their subsidies and things took another turn down with the fall of demand. I am seeing demand gain momentum in the states now and in Italy and I will keep an eye on silicon prices as demand picks up. I do not post here much and I'm not trying to turn this in to a stock thread but I have been watching it and enjoy the discussion.

---------- Post added March-1st-2011 at 05:32 PM ----------

It's part of the not in my back yard philosophy. Everyone wants nuclear power, but they don't want the plant in their back yard. Everyone wants clean streets, but no one wants a landfill near them. Everyone wants beautiful roads and high speed internet, but no one wants to pay higher bills or more in taxes. The reason there's resistance to spending on infrastructure is because everyone wants something for free.

Yep, but they are already in the back yard. Chesapeake: 2.8 million acres. Just one company. The map puts it into perspective. Looks like a Par 5 through pennsylvania.

http://www.chk.com/operations/Pages/Default.aspx

There's a disconnect from reality that you would expect in an elementary school kid. Greed and entitlement rules. We want the best and we demand it, but we certainly don't want to pay for it or sacrifice for it.

We want it and we need it but the ole govt credit card is maxed out.

What do ya think?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/2011/03/road-map-americas-energy-future

The plan, known as A Roadmap for America's Energy Future, recognizes the importance of oil, gas, coal, and oil shale to the American consumer, as well as our nation's economy. It opens up for exploration and development the vast resources known to exist throughout U.S. territories on land and sea. This unlocked energy will fuel job growth and it will assure Americans access to stable and affordable energy.

At the same time, the plan recognizes that dependence on any one fuel source is dangerous, particularly a finite resource. As such, the Energy Roadmap will make the necessary investments to transition our economy to renewable and advanced energy alternatives over time. This is achieved at no expense to the taxpayer.

Furthermore, unlike current subsidies and tax credits, new forms of energy will be available to Americans on a cost-competitive basis.

The Energy Roadmap accomplishes these goals by depositing lease and royalty revenue associated with fossil fuel development into a renewable energy trust fund. Those dollars are then made available to energy producers through a reverse auction - ending the government's current process of selecting winners and losers.

This market-based way of providing federal assistance will ensure the cheapest and most efficient technology thrives. It will also open up the alternative energy market to greater innovation and competition, a sharp contrast to the existing system of subsidies and support which are subject to the influence of lobbyists and activists through political cronyism.

Another component of the Energy Roadmap establishes a mandate to site 200 nuclear reactors by 2040. New streamlined regulations and a system to manage waste will help drive private-sector investments in these facilities, which today are mired in red tape, lawsuits and the liability associated with the storage of used fuel.

• 1 year later...

What do you think?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/27/could-clean-coal-power-cars/?intcmp=features&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

New technology could stoke clean coal-powered cars

New technological advances may make it possible in the near future to engineer a coal-powered car so clean that it produces nearly no polluting emissions, including carbon dioxide

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/27/could-clean-coal-power-cars/?intcmp=features&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz2MDYpKMBp

What do you think?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/27/could-clean-coal-power-cars/?intcmp=features&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

New technological advances may make it possible in the near future to engineer a coal-powered car so clean that it produces nearly no polluting emissions, including carbon dioxide

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/27/could-clean-coal-power-cars/?intcmp=features&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz2MDYpKMBp

I think I understand the basic concept (read some other things too), but I'm unclear where the water and ash are going or how they are ending up outside of the car.

Are you ending up with a "tank" full of ash?

Have fun cleaning that out.

Assuming practically this works, the biggest issue is going to be distribution. You see that with Tesla and their charging stations and at least everybody already has electricity running to their house.

The infrastructure present to support the existing energy regimes is a large obstacle to any new approach to energy.

What do you think?

So far "clean coal" is a catch phrase not associated with any real technology... It was a phrase which tried to make coal more attractive coined by ad men, not anybody with practical experience using coal cleanly.

Presidents like Bush and Obama have used this catch phrase while environmentalists tried not to throw up.

If clean coal is now a reality and soon to be practical alternative to GAS, then yeah we could become energy independent because we are the Saudi Arabia of coal.. We have more coal than anybody else in the world. But given the source here, color me skeptical.

• 11 months later...

Bump for example of the new Klan 

maki-protest.jpg

Torch-Carrying Environmentalists Protest at Oil Exec’s Home

Masked environmentalists bring menacing message to Enbridge employee’s front lawn

http://freebeacon.com/torch-carrying-environmentalists-protest-at-oil-execs-home/

Masked protesters carrying torches and threatening organized violence protested outside the home of an executive at a major oil pipeline company last week.

Eight environmental activists gatheredon the lawn of Mark Maki, a member of the Enbridge Energy Company’s board of directors and president of Enbridge Energy Management, to protest the arrests of three anti-pipeline activists last year.

The protesters, who brandished torches for a photo posted online, held a sign warning, “solidarity means attack” and “we will shut you down.”

Maki stepped out of his Houston, Texas, home to talk with the protesters, though he said he was not familiar with their grievances.

“It’s 10 o’ clock at night, I’m happy to discuss it, [but] not here, not in my neighborhood, not with my neighbors around,” Maki told them.

As protesters stood on Maki’s lawn, they told him that Enbridge is “criminalizing protest” by testifying against three anti-pipeline activists who were recently convicted of criminal trespassing for chaining themselves to Enbridge construction equipment in July.

“Tell the rest of the [Enbridge] board they can expect visits,” one protester at Maki’s house said.

In other news Texas has vastly expanded oil and gas production and with the widening of the Panama canal will be replacing Saudi oil imports to California (unless they get off their fracking asses or buy Telsas .....
NG shipments are fixing to boom as well
did I mention the large expansion of wind energy as well?
You want Energy Independence it is there for the taking.....or those willing will sell ya some.

late night torch visits threatening violence at a minority over beliefs seemed to fit.....especially with some of their other terrorist acts.

Like the Klan they are no real threat though....if exposed and opposed

if encouraged it easily can get more serious....and has

I think that is obviously a false analogy. There are relevant differences , the most apparent being that the environmentalists have a plausible justification, whereas the Klan does not.

Uh, that isn't what I would regard as the most relevant difference.

I would assert that it's kinda significant that the environmentalists probably won't kill the executive if he fails to take the hint.

plausible in their mind....just like the white sheet idiots

and if they do Larry?

damaging property,interfering with work/commerce, endangering others and threats of violence already.....next step?

you could even say they are causing deaths already....if you use the liberal :)  use of cause

http://www.ruthfullyyours.com/2011/06/20/daniel-greenfield-how-environmentalists-cause-death-and-repression/

add...just a matter of time

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=94105&page=1

Prosecutors have recorded their first conviction in a case linked to the Earth Liberation Front, an eco-terror group that claims credit for more than 100 acts of destruction in the last five years and $37 million worth of damage.

Prosecutors on New York's Long Island confirmed that a 17-year-old Suffolk County high school student pleaded guilty to charges stemming from a series of arson fires.

Under the deal, the teen, who is the son of a New York City police sergeant, agreed to cooperate with authorities investigating ELF, the eco-terror group.

http://www.rightwisconsin.com/featured/215699061.html

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012/december/eco-terrorist-surrenders-two-fugitives-still-at-large/eco-terrorist-surrenders-two-fugitives-still-at-large

http://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/the-threat-of-eco-terrorism

The FBI and our law enforcement partners have made a number of arrests of individuals alleged to have perpetrated acts of eco-terrorism. Several of these individuals have been successfully prosecuted. Following the investigation of the Phoenix, Arizona, arsons noted earlier, Mark Warren Sands was indicted and arrested on 6/14/2001. On 11/07/2001, Sands pleaded guilty to ten counts of extortion and using fire in the commission of a federal felony.

In February 2001, teenagers Jared McIntyre, Matthew Rammelkamp, and George Mashkow all pleaded guilty, as adults, to title 18 U.S.C. 844(i), Arson, and 844(n), Arson Conspiracy. These charges pertain to a series of arsons and attempted arsons of new home construction sites in Long Island, New York. An adult, Connor Cash, was also arrested on February 15, 2001, and charged under the same federal statutes. Jared McIntrye stated that these acts were committed in sympathy of the ELF movement. The New York Joint Terrorism Task Force played a significant role in the arrest and prosecution of these individuals.

On 1/23/2001, Frank Ambrose was arrested by officers of the Department of Natural Resources with assistance from the Indianapolis JTTF, on a local warrant out of Monroe County Circuit Court, Bloomington, Indiana, charging Ambrose with timber spiking. Ambrose is suspected of involvement in the spiking of approximately 150 trees in Indiana state forests. The ELF claimed responsibility for these incidents.

On September 16, 1998, a federal grand jury in the Western District of Wisconsin indicted Peter Young and Justin Samuel for Hobbs Act violations as well as for animal enterprise terrorism. Samuel was apprehended in Belgium, and was subsequently extradited to the United States. On August 30, 2000, Samuel pleaded guilty to two counts of animal enterprise terrorism and was sentenced on November 3, 2000, to two years in prison, two years probation, and ordered to pay $364,106 in restitution. Samuel's prosecution arose out of his involvement in mink releases in Wisconsin in 1997. This incident was claimed by the ALF. The investigation and arrest of Justin Samuel were the result of a joint effort by federal, state, and local agencies.

On April 20, 1997, Douglas Joshua Ellerman turned himself in and admitted on videotape to purchasing, constructing, and transporting five pipe bombs to the scene of the March 11, 1997, arson at the Fur Breeders Agricultural co-op in Sandy, Utah. Ellerman also admitted setting fire to the facility. Ellerman was indicted on June 19, 1997 on 16 counts, and eventually pleaded guilty to three. He was sentenced to seven years in prison and restitution of approximately $750,000. Though this incident was not officially claimed by ALF, Ellerman indicated during an interview subsequent to his arrest that he was a member of ALF. This incident was investigated jointly by the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF).

Rodney Adam Coronado was convicted for his role in the February 2, 1992, arson at an animal research laboratory on the campus of Michigan State University. Damage estimates, according to public sources, approached $200,000 and included the destruction of research records. On July 3, 1995, Coronado pled guilty for his role in the arson and was sentenced to 57 months in federal prison, three years probation, and restitution of more than $2 million. This incident was claimed by ALF. The FBI, ATF, and the Michigan State University police played a significant role in the investigation, arrest, and prosecution.

Marc Leslie Davis, Margaret Katherine Millet, Marc Andre Baker, and Ilse Washington Asplund were all members of the self-proclaimed "Evan Mecham Eco-Terrorist International Conspiracy" (EMETIC). EMETIC was formed to engage in eco-terrorism against nuclear power plants and ski resorts in the southwestern United States. In November 1987, the group claimed responsibility for damage to a chairlift at the Fairfield Snow Bowl Ski Resort near Flagstaff, Arizona. Davis, Millet, and Baker were arrested in May 1989 on charges relating to the Fairfield Snow Bowl incident and planned incidents at the Central Arizona Project and Palo Verde nuclear generating stations in Arizona; the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Facility in California; and the Rocky Flats Nuclear Facility in Colorado. All pleaded guilty and were sentenced in September 1991. Davis was sentenced to six years in federal prison, and restitution to the Fairfield Snow Bowl Ski Resort in the amount of $19,821. Millet was sentenced to three years in federal prison, and restitution to Fairfield in the amount of $19,821. Baker was sentenced to one year in federal prison, five months probation, a $5,000 fine, and 100 hours of community service. Asplund was also charged and was sentenced to one year in federal prison, five years probation, a $2,000 fine, and 100 hours of community service.

Currently, more than 26 FBI field offices have pending investigations associated with ALF/ELF activities. Despite all of our efforts (increased resources allocated, JTTFs, successful arrests and prosecutions), law enforcement has a long way to go to adequately address the problem of eco-terrorism. Groups such as the ALF and the ELF present unique challenges. There is little if any hierarchal structure to such entities. Eco-terrorists are unlike traditional criminal enterprises which are often structured and organized.

Prosecutors have recorded their first conviction in a case linked to the Earth Liberation Front, an eco-terror group that claims credit for more than 100 acts of destruction in the last five years and $37 million worth of damage.

Excellent. About time.

I'll remember your outrage and consistency, the next time you hold anti-abortion protesters to the same standard. 

And the executive is killing people, too.  If you want to use the "if you stretch the term enough" standard. 

find one threatening violence  and I'll gladly turn them in and help prosecute them.

I don't care for protesters of any stripe, but I actively oppose those that threaten and commit violence and terror.

as to the executive....I'm a fan of most legal killing

• 2 weeks later...

• 10 months later...

in fracking news Plasma is looking like another game changer with both lower costs and environmentally cleaner with no water injection

http://www.propell.com/news/detail/554/propell-technologies-to-treat-two-wells-on-miller-energys

claims of greatly increased recoverability that could nearly double recoverable us reserves and cut costs as well

http://oilprice.com/Finance/investing-and-trading-reports/The-Future-Of-Fracking-Is-Cleaner-Cheaper-And-Easier-With-Plasma.html

the homeboys might crack the Cali nuts yet. ;)

I am not going to click on the links and just assume that this technology involves extracting plasma from the 99% to power wells through some sort of zombie wichcraftery in order enrich the 0.1%

Something like that....non-linear physics/voodoo :)  that came out of Russia(actually a kinda cool concept if ya are familiar with extraction problems)

http://www.novasenergy.com/technology/science

interesting application and advances with it

ya can't beat the rich,but joining them or living off their crumbs is possible

add

I always enjoy folk making money when violating principles of science

nova_item2+edited.png?1408396263

Something like that....non-linear physics/voodoo :)  that came out of Russia(actually a kinda cool concept if ya are familiar with extraction problems)

http://www.novasenergy.com/technology/science

interesting application and advances with it

ya can't beat the rich,but joining them or living off their crumbs is possible

add

I always enjoy folk making money when violating principles of science

Superimposition  :lol:

Archived