Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panthers put franchise tag on C Ryan Kalil

Rypien1191

I have no idea why anyone would want a running back not drafted or brought in as a UDFA. Shanny has shown he doesn't need big names in the back field. Let's use the backfield as a saving grace to concentrate our efforts on filling the trenches with blue chip talent.

They're a dime a dozen. For instance, Da’Rel Scott from UMD and Brandon Saine from OSU. Both could be UDFA or 6th or 7th round picks.

Those saying 27 is/isn't old for a RB need to remember something. The top RB's in the last few years have signed 6 or 7 year contracts. Half way through that contract he will be old, especially for a RB. This is where our cap hell converstaions started to seem like a possibility. We had so much dead money on this team we couldn't build the depth to field a good team after guys like Portis/Thomas and others went down. Don't go signing an injury prone 27 yo back because you've seen what he used to be able to do. Portis used to be pretty good as well, but I doubt many other teams would bring him in for more than 1 year and a low base salary.

expensive yes, old... no way, he's been splitting carries with Stewart for several years now...He'd be a great 1-2 punch with Torain...

Read Tris' post above yours, or mine further up the page. It doesn't matter that he's "only" 27, or that he has less career carries than your average RB....because even with those "positives" going in his favor, he's still been injured a lot.

If you want D-Will to have any chance at staying healthy, he HAS to split carries. And you don't pay a guy top-5 money, or top-10, to split carries. Which is why you should never sign a big FA RB....because you should always be splitting the carries between different RB's.

Read Tris' post above yours, or mine further up the page. It doesn't matter that he's "only" 27, or that he has less career carries than your average RB....because even with those "positives" going in his favor, he's still been injured a lot.

If you want D-Will to have any chance at staying healthy, he HAS to split carries. And you don't pay a guy top-5 money, or top-10, to split carries. Which is why you should never sign a big FA RB....because you should always be splitting the carries between different RB's.

definitely true agree with this for sure....but we don't even need to worry about this, because he probably will be a restricted free agent ....and we wouldn't give up any draft picks for him

Because he's finished the last two seasons injured even WITHOUT a crazy number of career carries for his age. Not a good sign, at 27-28.

He's very talented. But he also just became the most expensive RB in Free Agency, a position that has proven time and again to be the most replaceable.

I would bring him in if the price was right, but I'm not advocating paying a kings ransom for him.

AH is in no mans land. Obviously he's got skill, but everyone knows we're going to release him if he doesn't get traded. So why would they waste a draft pick? He's going to get cut.

Gary Barnidge is the other TE. He's 25 and has speed and good hands. They're pretty confident that he may start this season. Rasario has been a consistent contributor in their run first offense. His numbers would be higher if he were in a different scheme. Jeff King has the best hands on the team and is a very good run blocker. Useful in their offense I'd say. They're good on tight ends.

Brown does play end, but they play a finesse system with Ron Meeks as there coordinator. He drafted Brown to be his Dwight Freeney. Meeks couldn't get anything out of him - 6 sacks in 2 years. He may be better in a 34, but to trade our probowl tight end, dono and ah for an unproven commodity seems foolish to me.

They may jump on the deal, but that doesn't make it smart on our end. Cooley is too big of a leader and fan favorite to go anywhere. It may be something you do in Madden to get younger or whatnot, but realistically, Shanahan is not going to move 47.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 04:39 AM ----------

They haven't had a good DT, thus they aren't getting good numbers from their DE's. Sorry if that wasn't clear. And having one player at a position visit does not mean anything.

And like I said, Cooley is better then all those guys. Why trade for a guy that MAY be released? To insure you get him (if you want him), there are no guarentees if he hits open market.You also didnt see that I said to ask for some picks also. Maybe a 4th this year and a 4th or 5th next year. Fan favorite means nothing, its a BIZ. We have a younger talent at the position, so why not do what others do to us, trade an ageing guy. Everyone on here says to groom our draft picks, but then argue against it cause the player in question happens to be their favorite player.

Those saying 27 is/isn't old for a RB need to remember something. The top RB's in the last few years have signed 6 or 7 year contracts. Half way through that contract he will be old, especially for a RB. This is where our cap hell converstaions started to seem like a possibility. We had so much dead money on this team we couldn't build the depth to field a good team after guys like Portis/Thomas and others went down. Don't go signing an injury prone 27 yo back because you've seen what he used to be able to do. Portis used to be pretty good as well, but I doubt many other teams would bring him in for more than 1 year and a low base salary.

The only time you think about a 27+ year old FA RB is if he's available for VM+I and you don't want to spend a late draft pick on a RB. Well, there are certain exceptions but those guys rarely become untagged FAs.

I'll re-post what I posted earlier on the topic:

He's finished the last two seasons injured even WITHOUT a crazy number of career carries for his age. Not a good sign, at 27-28.

He's very talented. But he also just became the most expensive RB in Free Agency, a position that has proven time and again to be the most replaceable.

I'm getting annoyed with how expensive someone would be. When is the last time the Redskins have been over the cap and not been able to get a player they wanted in FA? Just imagine, they were always under the cap then, and now we have smarter people running the show. If they want Williams, they will get him.

I'm getting annoyed with how expensive someone would be. When is the last time the Redskins have been over the cap and not been able to get a player they wanted in FA? Just imagine, they were always under the cap then, and now we have smarter people running the show. If they want Williams, they will get him.

It doesn't matter. We always managed to make it under the cap back then, yes. But you realize that we had no depth either, right? No room to let players develop, no cap room to keep our own in-house, but non-flashy, players, and no ability to release those aging vets who were making too much money, because the cap hit would be too great and we were right on the edge to begin with. So we had to start those aging re-treads, stunting the development of the little young depth we DID have, to justify their cap-crippling pay.

Its a slippery slope, and one that we just finally seem to have trudged our way back up. Why take that first step down it again with D-Will, when we can plug in a speedy young guy, with Torain, to get similar production?

They did it by extending player deals which is bad as those dont live out the contract, get cut and have bonuses excellerated. Its a matter of time before it implodes. We were lucky the cap went up significantly each year during previous years. What happens if the cap stays just one year? CHAOS. It is also undecided that the new guys are any smarter then the previous.

It is also undecided that the new guys are any smarter then the previous.

Contract-wise, I think its pretty obvious that they are. They gave themselves an early out for McNabb's huge contract, and re-structured DHall and AH's contracts almost immediately, to take advantage of the un-capped year.

Now we've got tons of cap room, and all credit goes to Bruce Allen.

Doesn't mean we need to blow it by spending it unnecessarily on D-Will, however.

I agree. But I don't think they'll want him.

Let's talk more about Kalil. People are annoying when talking about fa moves they don't agree with lol

Contract-wise, I think its pretty obvious that they are. They gave themselves an early out for McNabb's huge contract, and re-structured DHall and AH's contracts almost immediately, to take advantage of the un-capped year.

Now we've got tons of cap room, and all credit goes to Bruce Allen.

Doesn't mean we need to blow it by spending it unnecessarily on D-Will, however.

Im just debating, I dont think we need DWill. How do we have tons of caproom when this year was UNcapped and we dont know what the new cap will be

Im just debating, I dont think we need DWill. How do we have tons of caproom when this year was UNcapped and we dont know what the new cap will be

Even if the cap comes back a little LOWER than it previously was (which probably isn't likely), we'll still have between $30-40 million in cap space. That's a lot.

They haven't had a good DT, thus they aren't getting good numbers from their DE's. Sorry if that wasn't clear. And having one player at a position visit does not mean anything.

Dude you're nuts if you think they aren't in need of a TE. Its been a HUGE need for them for the longest time. Even in recent years when they Panthers were playing better they got next to nothing out of the TE position. They aren't high on Barnridge at all. And Rosario, like you said, isn't really a pass-catcher. And King, while decent, isn't quite the answer. Dude, just look at the TE position within their division. Gonzalez in Atlanta. Yeah, I know he's probably done, but still. Then Winslow in Tampa. And NO has several good TEs. Which is why Shockey is expendable.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 04:34 PM ----------

I don't think anyone would want to bring him in if it wasn't for the right price.

And he's 27. That's not old.

He will be 28 around the time of the draft. Its old when you consider he's been injury-prone.

Archived