Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panthers put franchise tag on C Ryan Kalil

Rypien1191

No. Just no.

why not? he's a talented player. he may be older but he's had significantly less carries than any back his age.

i'd love to get dwill.

I would rather have us trade #5/#92/#47 and Dockery in a package deal to get Everette Brown (olb) and a couple picks. This will allow them a TE (need), a QB to mentor Claussen or anybody else they may draft, a DT that can dominate (Rivera says hes staying w/ a 4-3) and they can resign Johnson and take either Fairley OR Bowers and a roadgrader OG that fits their system.

eww.. so wrong. everette brown is garbage. my best friend is a panther fan so i've seen many panther games. i know the panthers haven't had a good dt in a while, but brown is trash. he's shown absolutely no ability thus far. also, te is not a need for them. also, you really think their new HC who had to deal with a selfish player like merriman would actually trade us for a team killer like haynesworth? get real.

why not? he's a talented player. he may be older but he's had significantly less carries than any back his age.

i'd love to get dwill.

Because he's finished the last two seasons injured even WITHOUT a crazy number of career carries for his age. Not a good sign, at 27-28.

He's very talented. But he also just became the most expensive RB in Free Agency, a position that has proven time and again to be the most replaceable.

LaMarr Woodley signed his franchise tender today Ryan Kalil is expected to do so too. According to Albert Breer of NFL Network, Woodley and Kalil are not breaking ranks with the NFLPA on this issue.

Both Kalil and Woodley are 4th year players. Last year, they would be restricted free agents. The high tenders were $3.168M, some $7M less than their franchise tenders . Each has little to lose by signing. If they don't sign prior to March 4th and the rules change, Woodley and Kalil could lose a lot, if they're restricted free agents.

NFLPA Assistant Executive Director of External Affairs George Atallah says the Union stance hasn't changed on franchise tags according to Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald.

He could still be available.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e6fe3d/article/man-in-the-middle-dolphins-soliais-agent-talking-extension?module=HP_headlines

So the Dolphins are weighing whether or not to place a franchise tag on the 6-foot-4, 355-pound Soliai that would place his salary at the average of the top five defensive tackles, which is expected to be $12.5 million. That would be a 25-fold increase over Soliai's $467,000 salary in 2010, when the nose tackle emerged as a run-stopper after three disappointing seasons.

..... another one bites the dust, possibly :(

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e6fe3d/article/man-in-the-middle-dolphins-soliais-agent-talking-extension?module=HP_headlines

So the Dolphins are weighing whether or not to place a franchise tag on the 6-foot-4, 355-pound Soliai that would place his salary at the average of the top five defensive tackles, which is expected to be $12.5 million. That would be a 25-fold increase over Soliai's $467,000 salary in 2010, when the nose tackle emerged as a run-stopper after three disappointing seasons.

..... another one bites the dust, possibly :(

Just remember that according to the NFLPA there is no Franchise tag this year. So the moves don't count according to them.

Just remember that according to the NFLPA there is no Franchise tag this year. So the moves don't count according to them.

Well they still count if the player signs them, because then they're basically a contract. Woodley just signed his tender because, as a defensive player, why wouldn't he want to stay with the Steelers and get paid good money? Soliai probably will not sign his tender since he does not want to be in Miami, but there's always the chance that, with the uncertainty of the CBA, he could just opt to take that big paycheck and stay in Miami. I wouldn't blame him, but it would suck for us.

i'd love to get dwill.

eww.. so wrong. everette brown is garbage. my best friend is a panther fan so i've seen many panther games. i know the panthers haven't had a good dt in a while, but brown is trash. he's shown absolutely no ability thus far. also, te is not a need for them. also, you really think their new HC who had to deal with a selfish player like merriman would actually trade us for a team killer like haynesworth? get real.

So your saying NOBODY would want AH??? "Get real", dude is a huge talent. They have no "need" at TE? Really, Jeff King, Rosario and somebody else, REALLY, Cooley is an upgrade over ALL of those combined and Rivera probably knows how important a great TE opens up offenses (Gates). On to Everette, Im sure they had him as a DE. A little small (6'1" 250ish) for that. We would stand him up and let him do what he does best and sack the QB at OLB. If he is garbage, I think they jump on this deal

Yes. Just yes.

DeAngelo would be PERFECT in the ZBS. He's 28 but doesn't have the carries of a 28 year old. He could have 1500 yards in the ZBS here. I doubt they go after him, but Williams would be perfect here.

Why not just draft Ingram @10? Younger and bigger legs (MJD). If on the board, hes probably BPA. I know history suggests Shanny dont take a RB and he likes Torain (and so do I)

Ricky Williams doest have the carries of a normal 30 yr old.....................

I would rather have us trade #5/#92/#47 and Dockery in a package deal to get Everette Brown (olb) and a couple picks. This will allow them a TE (need), a QB to mentor Claussen or anybody else they may draft, a DT that can dominate (Rivera says hes staying w/ a 4-3) and they can resign Johnson and take either Fairley OR Bowers and a roadgrader OG that fits their system.

Supposedly Jeremy Shockey was in town today to visit the Panthers. So it looks like they are trying to fill the TE need.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 02:21 AM ----------

i'd love to get dwill.

First off, Brown isn't a DT, he's a DE. And how do you figure TE isn't a need for them? You sure you've watched the Panthers play? And like I stated above, Shockey was in town for a visit. So I guess the Panthers disagree with you, too.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 02:23 AM ----------

Is this even official? Just heard on the radio that it was being reported by JLC that Carolina will franchise Kalil, but have'nt yet.

They have until Thursday.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 02:25 AM ----------

So your saying NOBODY would want AH??? "Get real", dude is a huge talent. They have no "need" at TE? Really, Jeff King, Rosario and somebody else, REALLY, Cooley is an upgrade over ALL of those combined and Rivera probably knows how important a great TE opens up offenses (Gates). On to Everette, Im sure they had him as a DE. A little small (6'1" 250ish) for that. We would stand him up and let him do what he does best and sack the QB at OLB. If he is garbage, I think they jump on this deal

There's a guy here, Spartacus87, who's an FSU grad and could probably give you some valuable insight on Brown. Yeah, he's a bit small. But I think he could fit in our system. However, I live here in Pantherland, and they haven't been too thrilled with him. Could be the system he's in, who knows. Hopefully Spartacus will weigh in on this.

^^^ All I know is Brown is the same as Woodley coming out. Same frame and they both played DE in college while Brown may have been the more polished pass rusher. Im convinced its their system and personel. look at their depth chart, outside of Charles Johnson, they have the WORST DL in the league.

Yes. Just yes.

DeAngelo would be PERFECT in the ZBS. He's 28 but doesn't have the carries of a 28 year old. He could have 1500 yards in the ZBS here. I doubt they go after him, but Williams would be perfect here.

I'll re-post what I posted earlier on the topic:

He's finished the last two seasons injured even WITHOUT a crazy number of career carries for his age. Not a good sign, at 27-28.

He's very talented. But he also just became the most expensive RB in Free Agency, a position that has proven time and again to be the most replaceable.

I'm a little surprised that Shockey would be visiting Carolina, I think they've got a very talented TE in King.

I love to watch DeAngelo Williams run. I think he'd do great in our system if he could stay healthy. But he'll probably be worth more than we should be willing to pay, given the number of positions of need, so unless we get him for a bargain price, I wouldn't put too much effort into getting him. Torain's a good back, and I think Keiland and James Davis have shown flashes that indicated they can be solid contributors for the team for years to come and at a cheap price.

AH is in no mans land. Obviously he's got skill, but everyone knows we're going to release him if he doesn't get traded. So why would they waste a draft pick? He's going to get cut.

Gary Barnidge is the other TE. He's 25 and has speed and good hands. They're pretty confident that he may start this season. Rasario has been a consistent contributor in their run first offense. His numbers would be higher if he were in a different scheme. Jeff King has the best hands on the team and is a very good run blocker. Useful in their offense I'd say. They're good on tight ends.

Brown does play end, but they play a finesse system with Ron Meeks as there coordinator. He drafted Brown to be his Dwight Freeney. Meeks couldn't get anything out of him - 6 sacks in 2 years. He may be better in a 34, but to trade our probowl tight end, dono and ah for an unproven commodity seems foolish to me.

They may jump on the deal, but that doesn't make it smart on our end. Cooley is too big of a leader and fan favorite to go anywhere. It may be something you do in Madden to get younger or whatnot, but realistically, Shanahan is not going to move 47.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 04:39 AM ----------

First off, Brown isn't a DT, he's a DE. And how do you figure TE isn't a need for them? You sure you've watched the Panthers play? And like I stated above, Shockey was in town for a visit. So I guess the Panthers disagree with you, too.

They haven't had a good DT, thus they aren't getting good numbers from their DE's. Sorry if that wasn't clear. And having one player at a position visit does not mean anything.

I don't think anyone would want to bring him in if it wasn't for the right price.

And he's 27. That's not old.

A multi-year deal with the top free agent at any position is going to steep, particularly for a rebuilding team.

27 is most certainly old for a RB.

The biggest issue I see is the position itself. Good running backs can be found in a variety of places. To pay for a FA RB when we are rebuilding is simply a bad idea. RB is the one position on the football field where a team never truly needs to spend big money or high picks, because they are just too common and have too short a shelf life. I would rather see our dollars go to improving the defense or offensives line or maybe even a WR, before we invest in the most replacable position.

Well they still count if the player signs them, because then they're basically a contract. Woodley just signed his tender because, as a defensive player, why wouldn't he want to stay with the Steelers and get paid good money? Soliai probably will not sign his tender since he does not want to be in Miami, but there's always the chance that, with the uncertainty of the CBA, he could just opt to take that big paycheck and stay in Miami. I wouldn't blame him, but it would suck for us.

No, they wouldn't count if the tags aren't valid.

Also, the Panthers are putting the RFA tag on DeAngelo. That too most likely won't last.

A multi-year deal with the top free agent at any position is going to steep, particularly for a rebuilding team.

27 is most certainly old for a RB.

The biggest issue I see is the position itself. Good running backs can be found in a variety of places. To pay for a FA RB when we are rebuilding is simply a bad idea. RB is the one position on the football field where a team never truly needs to spend big money or high picks, because they are just too common and have too short a shelf life. I would rather see our dollars go to improving the defense or offensives line or maybe even a WR, before we invest in the most replacable position.

i agree. running back isn't a difficult position to fill. but to find a guy who can go 1500 yards, i don't know.

27 is not old for a running back. Ask Mike Turner or Steven Jackson. There is a tipping point, definitely. For some it's younger, but for most, 27 ain't there yet.

27 is not old for a running back. Ask Mike Turner or Steven Jackson. There is a tipping point, definitely. For some it's younger, but for most, 27 ain't there yet.

Jackson just turned 27, and this year was his career low in YPC, despite very good QB play for the first time in years. I expect a slow and steady decline for Jackson.

Turner, while piling on the stats, was the primary back for a deceptively bad running game for the Falcons - ranked 27th in rushing DVOA by football outsiders. I think Turner is a pretty ordinary back who gets way more credit than he deserves.

Some point to the low carries as a positive for Williams - I would point to the fact that despite his low carries (and never carrying more than 275 times in a season), he has only once started 16 games in his career, has been plagued by injuries throughout, and ended the past two years on IR.

Whether 27 is old to you for a RB or not, he's certainly not on the upswing of his career, and there is no good reason for a rebuilding team to sign an injury prone back to a long term contract when he will be firmly in decline by the time we are truely competitive.

Archived