Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panthers put franchise tag on C Ryan Kalil

Rypien1191

Because we have such a need for 4-3 DEs? Jesus, this fan base and free agency.

Yea Charles Johnson makes no sense for what this defense wants to do, I don't think we need to be in the business of trying to take guys who are used to playing in the 4-3 and switching them to the 3-4. It will retard the overall progress of the defense.

Anyone think we can sign Wisneweski in the second round? Trade cooley for a second round pick maybe and pick up our center for the future. Does anyone want Wisneweski??

I'd do that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, its not looking like Cooley will be trade-able by draft-time. And I have a feeling he's not getting traded either way, even though after this season Davis will just walk free.

Interesting move by Carolina. When an offensive linemen is franchised, the offensive line is viewed as a whole. So he doesn't get top 5 center money, he gets top 5 OL money, which includes all of the OLT's. Good payday for him. Bad for those, including me, who hoped the interior OL could be addressed without using up scarce draft picks. Or maybe Carolina is in a similar predicament to the Skins - that is, no talent truly worthy of the franchise tag, but they see the Skins are interested, and are hoping to get the Skins to bite. As much as I wanted Kalil, the Skins can't afford to give up anything like Carolina will ask. But the true bottom line is that Carolina realizes that the good stats their running backs (i.e. Charles Johnson) put up are a result of the offensive line, and they think they can plug anybody behind their OL (and obviously, their center) and have good results.

As far as Wisniewski is concerned, I know he has a lot of fans on this board, but he isn't worth a high second round pick and sure isn't worth a first which basically means he's not going to be a starter on any offensive line next year. I know a lot of people are hoping for Montgomery to show up, but I'd hate to bet the season on it. Same with Cook. Same with Lichtensteiger. I think we'll see Rabach for another year minimum or put up with one of the three previously mentioned and hope. But if it's a choice of hope or talent, I'd prefer talent. Even though he only had one year at center, Pouncey is still the best center in the draft, but he's a stretch at #10 and probably unavailable at #42. But he'd be worth any pick past #18.

Kalil was never coming here.

He's a bigger, man blocking power scheme guy. Joseph is too for that matter.

Shanahan likes smaller, speed O-linemen who cut block and get to the second level.

And I'm talking about guards and centers who are 285-290 lbs....that's what he had in Denver.

Kalil was never coming here.

He's a bigger, man blocking power scheme guy. Joseph is too for that matter.

Shanahan likes smaller, speed O-linemen who cut block and get to the second level.

And I'm talking about guards and centers who are 285-290 lbs....that's what he had in Denver.

well if this is the case then we need to get Rodney Hudson in the second rather than the PSU kid....because Hudson would fit the undersize linemen with great speed and gets to the second level really well

well if this is the case then we need to get Rodney Hudson in the second rather than the PSU kid....because Hudson would fit the undersize linemen with great speed and gets to the second level really well

totally agree.....Hudson is the guy people on this board should be talking about, not these other guys

Panthers making a center their franchise player = GIANT FACEPALM

Yeah. Only the second Center ever given that tag....nevermind the fact that he gets the average pay of the top 5 OL, not just C. That's more expensive than it should be.

Also makes Charles Johnson an unrestricted free agent and I'd look hard at him if I was Shanahan

I would rather have us trade #5/#92/#47 and Dockery in a package deal to get Everette Brown (olb) and a couple picks. This will allow them a TE (need), a QB to mentor Claussen or anybody else they may draft, a DT that can dominate (Rivera says hes staying w/ a 4-3) and they can resign Johnson and take either Fairley OR Bowers and a roadgrader OG that fits their system.

In a way I'm kind of glad some of these guys are getting tagged. Keeps us from spending a ton of money on free agents. I don't mind spending big money on free agents, as long as they fit the system. We spent big money on Fletcher and he's been great. We spent big money on Haynesworth and he's been crap.

I too would rather draft our own players, but I don't mind going into free agency and trying to find the best guy at that position no matter what he costs....as long as he fits the system. I don't think we should avoid the best guys at their position and rely on picking up lesser talent, because they are cheaper. At this point, it's a balance between talent and system and not so much on worth.

Archived