Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL, NFLPA Call Off Thursday CBA Talks

pram11

Actually I think jlc got this one first. He broke it last night and no one else had it til this morning. Schefter was just on mike and mike and it doesn't sound promising. Smart money is on a lockout. All the free agent hype is probably gonna be shelved come march 3.

If there is a work stoppage:

1. I cancel the Sunday Ticket

2. I do not support the Redskins or the NFL

3. I become a fan of college football.

4. I don't come back.

In this day and age of mega ticket prices, and guys like me paying $250 a year to follow the Skins via DirectTV...it's abominable that there may need to be ANY work stoppage. Really??? There is PLENTY of money to go around. What a bunch of selfish millionaires.

It's FEBRUARY. They have plenty of time, in a sane world. This is really pissing me off.

If there is a work stoppage:

1. I cancel the Sunday Ticket

2. I do not support the Redskins or the NFL

3. I become a fan of college football.

4. I don't come back.

In this day and age of mega ticket prices, and guys like me paying $250 a year to follow the Skins via DirectTV...it's abominable that there may need to be ANY work stoppage. Really??? There is PLENTY of money to go around. What a bunch of selfish millionaires.

It's FEBRUARY. They have plenty of time, in a sane world. This is really pissing me off.

I hear you... big time. I don't have season tickets, but I spend hundreds every year to drive to DC to see the Skins... and hundreds more on jerseys and crap just like everyone else. This is about greed and nothing more. I stopped watching hockey when they stopped playing a few years back. Might be time to start paying attention to that again.

Selfish pricks.

The owners will declare an impasse and impose the last offer as the new CBA. Book it.

In the off chance a lockout occurs, the players will cave in a month. With Mortgage, car and health insurance premiums, even the rich guys will be hurting. The owners have all the leverage. They are the smart businessmen involved. 80% of the players end up broke within 5 years. Who do you think wins a standoff?

Lets not forget that there are others caught in the middle of a work stoppage (if it happens). I'm pretty sure that the Stadium Workers, Refs, and TV Crews who work these games are not doing these jobs out of the kindness of their hearts. They probably count on those pay-checks to help with their income and with the economic situation in this country the way it is right now...it's not going to be pretty for them.

The owners will declare an impasse and impose the last offer as the new CBA. Book it.

In the off chance a lockout occurs, the players will cave in a month. With Mortgage, car and health insurance premiums, even the rich guys will be hurting. The owners have all the leverage. They are the smart businessmen involved. 80% of the players end up broke within 5 years. Who do you think wins a standoff?

Yep, the owners do have all of the leverage. I will guarantee you that some of them do not really care if we have football or not next year. That is because they get the money from the TV contract for next year whether a game is played or not. So they get their major source of revenue without having to pay the players or anyone else involved with running the team. Pretty sweet deal. I can't believe that they would put that into the TV contract and I really can't believe that the networks went for it.

Leave it at 16 games

Institute a pay scale

Done

Don't know why Roger wants 18 even when the players adamantly are against it...drop the 18 game crap, leave it as is, and institute the rookie pay scale so unproven guys don't get paid a ****load without playing a down

BetUS is the one place I can find odds on a lockout.

Odds of an NFL Lockout in 2011

Yes – 1-3

No – 2-1

How long will the NFL Lockout last?

One Week – 1/1

Two to Three Weeks – 1/2

Four to Five Weeks – 6/5

Six to Seven Weeks – 3/2

Eight Weeks or More – 2/1

Additional Lockout Odds

Odds the 2011 NFL season starts on schedule – 2/1

Odds there is no Super Bowl in 2012 – 50/1

There will a a season in 2012, but there unless the owners decide to care about the player's welfare for once, there will be no deal before March 3rd, and most likely nothing until around Labor Day, as there is no motivation to get a deal done until then if we pass the 3rd.

This will mean no Free Agency this season, no player trades, and no signing of UDFAs from the NFL draft, as well as no signing of rookies to contracts - AKA no rookie training camps (so a horrible idea to draft a QB expecting him to start this season).

They called off the meeting because the Union wants 50% of all revenue.

If you look at that percentage it's basically coming up with the same revenue numbers the owners aren't happy with.

It's call Union fuzzy math! :ols:

57% of $8 B = roughly $4.5 B (current CBA - less $1 B credits of all revenue)

50% of $9 B = $4.5 B (proposed)

Leave it at 16 games

Institute a pay scale

Done

Don't know why Roger wants 18 even when the players adamantly are against it...drop the 18 game crap, leave it as is, and institute the rookie pay scale so unproven guys don't get paid a ****load without playing a down

This makes sense to me. This makes sense to most rational people. But unfortunately, there are some people that are not rational that are sitting around those tables.

I don't want 18 games. I don't want more injuries and generally watering the product down. They try to put this spin on it that "well, it's what the fans want; they don't want to pay for as many meaningless games." The thing is, the preseason games do mean something, I don't care about watching or going to preseason games, just cut the damn prices a little (although I know that is never going to happen). They act like the fans are begging for a longer regular season...I have never asked for it and I don't know many people that have. That is one of the things that makes the NFL great; every game means something. You add more games and they start to mean less.

I also want a rookie pay scale. It is absurd for people like Vernon Davis to be the highest paid player at his position before ever playing an NFL snap. And JaMarcus Russell was certainly worth $61M. This absolutely has to be done, but the players union does not want it because even though it kinda screws the veterans, it immensely benefits those players at the top of the draft.

The reason that the owners want 18 games is simple: money. More money from parking, concessions and two more games to get money from in a new TV contract. But of course leave the current player salary structure as is.

The thing that is going to hold this up is that the players want more money and more money put toward the care of ex-players. You would think that veterans would automatically make more with a rookie pay scale, but that is not the solution they want.

I think whenever this gets done, the 16 game regular season remains and there is a rookie pay scale. But I think the players hold out until they get a bigger cut of revenue and more money is goes to a fund for ex-players. That could take a while. You have owners like Jerry Richardson (who is credited as one of the main reasons that the talks shut down) that are not really willing to give an inch. It does not seem like the owners are united and it does not seem like the players are either, right Antonio Cromartie? So this thing could drag out and be a hell of a mess.

This makes sense to me. This makes sense to most rational people. But unfortunately, there are some people that are not rational that are sitting around those tables.

I don't want 18 games. I don't want more injuries and generally watering the product down. They try to put this spin on it that "well, it's what the fans want; they don't want to pay for as many meaningless games." The thing is, the preseason games do mean something, I don't care about watching or going to preseason games, just cut the damn prices a little (although I know that is never going to happen). They act like the fans are begging for a longer regular season...I have never asked for it and I don't know many people that have. That is one of the things that makes the NFL great; every game means something. You add more games and they start to mean less.

The reason that the owners want 18 games is simple: money. More money from parking, concessions and two more games to get money from in a new TV contract. But of course leave the current player salary structure as is.

Yeah, what the jackrabbits don't seem to get is that fans were complaining about the preseason games because of having to pay full price for games that don't count, not that the games were meaningless. They somehow twisted that into fans want more games that count. :insane:

From ESPN article about owners balking: "In addition to the flat 50 percent share of all revenue, players are willing to grant additional credits to any franchise that reinvests in stadium improvement, a mechanism to motivate clubs to grow revenues, a player source said."

I believe that a percentage of the profits needs to be funneled to activities that benefit the fan. Not sure how, but improved stadiums is nice, but maybe other aspects would be fine too (i.e. lowering ticket prices, give aways at the stadium...aka foam fingers, hats, seats, etc)...I'd like to see the NFL put something forth that re-engerizes it's fan base and brings folks into the stadiums. Improvements can come in all shapes and sizes, not just the stadiums to improve revenues...

To them, revenue's = happiness...to us, its the game that entertains us, and improvements to the stadium experience would draw fans in...

Plus, LA needs a team in the NFC East, so I can see the Redskins once a year (okay, that's purely a selfish desire that has no logic behind it)...

Yeah, what the jackrabbits don't seem to get is that fans were complaining about the preseason games because of having to pay full price for games that don't count, not that the games were meaningless. They somehow twisted that into fans want more games that count. :insane:

They are just trying to use every bit of information to their advantage. The problem, at least with this point, is that nobody believes them. I don't even think they believe what they are saying. Welcome to important negoations between ultra rich people that are used to getting their way.

Archived